public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: about Pilates
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2000 5:22 am 

"pill-AH-teez" as far as i know...just to get THAT out of the way! Image<P>p.s. also see Maggie's pronunciation guide, below.<P>now, here's a good start on the REST of what you might want to know...<BR> <A HREF="http://www.pilates-studio.com/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.pilates-studio.com/</A> <P>please note that the linked site above belongs to The Pilates Studio/Pilates Guild, which is only ONE group of Pilates instructors - there seem to be a few 'factions'...see trina's posts below for more background, and Maggie's post for a different perspective from an instructor.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited May 14, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: about Pilates
PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2000 6:05 am 

That's fine and I have heard people such as Mark Morris speak well of Pilates. But is it really different from what I can get down at my local gym and should I, as a non-dancer, think about it as a possibility.<P>What are the views of those who have tried it?<p>[This message has been edited by Stuart Sweeney (edited April 26, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2000 12:17 pm 

Pilates is a system of exercise started by Joseph Pilates in the early 20C. It involves "mat work" and also work done on equipment called the "Universal Reformer". It is resistance exercise (the reformer uses a graudated set of 3 springs which provide the resistance) which strengthens the "core" muscles, focusing on muscles of the inner thigh, abdomen and lower back.It incoporates the intrinsic, very specific use of breath while doing the exerices. It is very valuable for strenthening, and has been used by dancers for many years...recommmended introductory source book for the mat exercises "The Pilates Body" by Brooke Siler by Broadway Books/Random HOuse, New York.(2000)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2000 4:09 pm 

for DANCERS: absolutely YES!, stuart, it *IS* different to what you can get down at your local gym, or aerobics class...<P>however, as someone who HAS tried it, i think it bears pointing out that it requires a mental focus and patience, and CARE in it's execution, which is probably alien to MOST 'normal' beings...(unlike dancers!)<P>because it works at such a deep level, i DO believe it is MORE valuable - for anyone - than 'normal' gym work - but it is often (make that 'usually') MORE expensive, less accessible, and more demanding concentration-wise on the person doing it.<P>call it gym work for the intelligent - so that would include YOU! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2000 5:01 pm 

Wow, thanks for the in-depth info on Pilates. But not having time to go to and read the link, can someone tell me how a non-dancer should approach Pilates? Is it something that a non-dancer should be interested in? How is it beneficial?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2000 7:06 pm 

Azlan-a little history about the development of Pilates exercise system. Joseph Pilates was a German prisoner of war during the First World War. He worked as an aide in a hospital on Isle of man (ENgland). During his incarceration, he was determined to stay healthy and fit--so he worked on developing exercises that used a minimum of space and equimpment-hence the pilates "mat" exercises, which can develop the core muscles of the body -inner thigh, abdomen and lower back. He taught his exercises to fellow inmates, many of whom managed to maintain their health during the deadly influenza epidemic of l918. <BR>But really the Pilates system is designed to use the whole body in each exercise, not to "isolate" different muscle groups, as a lot of traditional weight training (nautilus equipment for example)programs do. NOw people can get certified to teach Pilates (trade name "Contrology".)It is taught all over the world. I am not an expert on Pilates, but know a little from what I've read and friends of mine who do it---I think it is beneficial becasue it stresses balancing flexibility and strengh in the muscles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2000 1:54 am 

Many thanks for all the comments and advice. I get the impression that it is becoming quite a trendy form of exercise in London. There was a survey of the places that offer Pilates in 'The Evening Standard' magazine a couple of weeks ago.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2000 4:11 am 

yeah: 'trendy' is the word stuart - but the smart people (especially dancers) won't give it up when it goes out of fashion! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 12:51 pm 

Hello,<BR>I e-mailed Grace with my input on pilates, and she asked that I post my response here. As I wrote: It's nice to see some information presented on this work. It is actually pronounced pi-la-tus. (At least, that's how Joe pronounced his name.) I teach the Ron Fletcher method of pilates. Ron is one of my teachers. He is 79 and one of a handful of still ambulatory (!) people who actually worked with Joe and his wife, Clara. Ron also danced with Martha Graham and incorporates some of her technique into his work. He does a floor class that incorporates a lot of standing, and moving work, since one should be able to translate what one learns on the equipment and on the "floor" to the positions we spend most of our waking time in. He has put more "flow" into the work to make it less like a strictly calisthenic approach and a little more movement oriented. It works equally well for rehab patients as it does for dancers, etc.Interestingly enough, Ron is not "certified" and therefore does not pay royalties to the "Pilates" trademark, (Joe Pilates did not trademark his name, or give out certifications.) Certainly, Mr. Fletcher would not need to be "certified" by this group, and could probably teach them a thing or two. (My own opinion.)I believe that certification can help with maintaining the quality of this work, but is no guarantee as to the quality of the teacher. Such is true in dance also. It is also true that Joe did not call his work "Pilates" but called it contrology. Your new site is great. Best wishes, Maggie

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 4:36 pm 

Hello Maggie, thanks for the input.<P>Pardon my ignorance but are there certifications in Pilates? If a novice were to decide to take up Pilates, should he find a "certified" Pilates instructor?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 6:03 pm 

maggie, thanks very much for doing this. Image<BR>can you clarify for me (for some of us) the pronunciation you use? (the one i put above is what 'everyone' i know calls it, including my friend who is a london-trained pilates instructor...)<P>i know it's difficult on screen, but do you mean, like: 'pill-LAH-tuss', with the emphasis sort-of on the middle syllable (so the main difference to my version is how you pronounce the LAST syllable)?<P>thanks for your advice.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 8:03 pm 

there are a couple of 'different people' in this thread - compared to other threads.<P>could i ask you to offer your opinion about the name of this site, down in the<BR>second-last Forum "About CD" in the thread "What's in a name?".<P>thanks for any contributions (even if you disagree with me!... Image ) and i'll delete this post tomorrow.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 5:01 am 

Yes, I can offer some clarifications. First, pronunciation of Joe Pilates' name. The accent is on the 2nd syllable, and the "e" is short, not long as in "eez" but it has been pronounced "pi-lah-teez" for so long that I suspect that is how it will remain.<BR>Re: certification. Since the name Pilates has been trademarked, that name is owned now. To actually use that name to describe the teaching of Joe Pilates' work requires one to pay royalties to the owner. I do not use that name in my business even though I teach work based on Joe Pilates' work. Many people were teaching this work years before the name was trademarked. Many were doing a very good job of it, and many were'nt. Since then, several organizitions began certification programs. There is no true national standardization as there is in, say, nursing, for example. One can certainly become "certified" meaning that they know the series of "exercises" or "movements" developed by Joe. The quality of the teaching of this work can vary enormously sometimes depending on the previous background of the teacher. Many former(well trained) dancers become good teachers. Someone without a good movement background may teach the work as just a series of calisthenics, i.e. working from the external aspect of the body. It can be difficult sometimes to know what you may be getting. I am not against certification, I just think people need to be aware that it is not necessarily a guarantee to the quality of the teaching of the work. <BR>Maggie

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 10:51 am 

Thanks for the response, Maggie. So, I guess the best way to find a good Pilates instructor is to get recommendations.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 3:08 pm 

good points, maggie: thanks very much for all this info from a practitioner.<P>glad my pronunciation guide wasn't TOO far off Image - i just wanted to save people new to it, from pronouncing it like the word for 'those people who fly planes'...which i've heard before!<P>so, which group owns the Pilates trademark?<P>i'm fascinated by the idea of carrying the concepts thru into standing movement, as you mention...i've never seen this. can you describe, any more?

Profile E-mail