public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 2:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Confidence
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2001 4:27 pm 

How do teachers recognize and help students whose lack of confidence in their abilities is detrimental to their progression as a dancer? <P>I am currently teaching both band and ballet to the pre-high school crowd and have run into this problem. It is very frustrating, because I _know_ that the student is capable of excellent work, if only they believed they could do it. <P>Do you notice this problem in yourself or in your students? Do you try to improve the situation, or just let the students struggle through on their own? What do you do to combat this problem? <P>And thus ends my very first new topic posting. Image<P>

Post subject: Re: Confidence
PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2001 4:37 pm 

And a very good topic it is too, Katheryn. <P>Yes, I have had students like that. You can help but only to a certain extent. Usually they are quiet sort of people, and I think they respond best to quiet attention. In my experience they don't like having a great deal of attention called to them. So I always gave my corrections quietly. I also made the correction in the form of a positive statement.<P>For instance, instead of saying "that's wrong - try it this way" - I would say "I think this way would work a bit better". It just takes time for them to become confident in the teacher. Sometimes I would find a small task for them to do and they usually liked to be helpful. It was their way of feeling part of the class.<P>There was one especially that I remember - I told her one day that I needed her help - and asked her to find a certain piece of music that was in a pile of stuff. She was delighted to be able to do that. People like to "give" rather than receive. I also had one that I would ask to especially to remember the combination for the next class. She took great pride in being my "memory". <P>As for confidence - I let them know that I have confidence in them. Like I would say "I am allowing you to go onto pointe because I know you are ready". Or "I gave you that part in the show because I have every confidence you can do it - it was no accident that I chose you". <P>But, in the end - it does have to come from them - you can only help and try.

Profile E-mail