public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: R.A.D teaching Cert
PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2000 8:07 pm 

I would like to know how to read offline too, please?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 12:31 pm 

there is one brilliant book on the RAD recommended list...i used it & i found it very good!<P>Its about dance teachnique...Injury & prevention is the title of the book!<P>i strongly recommend it!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 12:33 pm 

UUPss..actually i might have muddled the title up... i'll check and let you know if anyone is interested!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 2:23 pm 

we are definitely interested! please do let us know the author too, as that makes it easier to order (which most of us would have to do, as many people don't have access to a good performing arts bookshop). thanks, xwish.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 11:06 pm 

.<p>[This message has been edited by Gavin (edited May 19, 2001).]

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2000 11:33 pm 

gavin, are you serious? the horst koegler one? wow - if so, that's the best piece of news for dance writers since the invention of the PC! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 4:44 am 

, <p>[This message has been edited by Gavin (edited May 19, 2001).]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 5:19 am 

gavin, for a few minutes there i wondered what on earth prompted you to start talking about the derivation of sissone, in this thread!....then i hunted back and found it. Image<P>personally, while i don't like to see people get too het up about trivia, i DO think detail and accuracy matters if you're writing a reference book!<P>however, like you i am more broad minded about 'sissone' - i don't accept that sissone and pas ciseaux are the same step, but i wouldn't care too much if you proved me wrong (feel free!)..... Image -however, i feel that because it has been 'wrongly' defined as a 'scissor action step' so commonly, and because that may be a GOOD DESCRIPTION, it has acquired some validity over time, in and of itself. even though it's not a literal TRANSLATION, nor an acknowledgement of cesar de courcy's title, 'comte de sissone'....<P>i avoid asking this question in theory exams, because it's not worth buying into trouble, but if a student told me sissone meant scissor-step, i wouldn't say she was wrong, because it's not a bad explanation, and quite a number of our ballet terms are really not 'translations', but accepted international use of a french word, over time, in ballet.<P>not meaning to go off on TOO much of a tangent here, BUT......if writing a reference book: YES, it DOES matter - but i would never damn a whole book on a few small errors....<P>so, what's the deal on horst koegler's book, more importantly!?<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 5:56 am 

gavin has emailed me that at the end of october, oxford university press are putting out the oxford dictionry of dance, edited by judith mackrell and debra craine, at 25 pounds. no more info than that at this stage......so we are still sort of guessing....RAD girl: at least hold off on buying this book, till this new one comes out! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 6:41 am 

,<p>[This message has been edited by Gavin (edited May 19, 2001).]

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 1:47 pm 

i seem to have misunderstood you, gavin - it rather sounds as though you are saying that maybe ryman's approach to 'sissone' is a bit like mine?<P>btw, there was a wonderful discussion thread on this about a year ago at ballet alert - it was great fun and very informative - estelle souche eventually found an old and particularly comprehensive french dictionary or encyclopedia, which clarified the matter beautifully - i haven't seen glasstone's article, but i would like to (i always appreciate his writing).

Profile E-mail