public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:41 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: connection between yoga and ballet
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 12:12 am 

Hello!<BR>My name is Dee, and this is my first time visiting this fantastic site. Image Here's my question: I'm an adult ballet student who deperately needs to improve her flexibility. To help this I've enrolled in a yoga class(specifically astanga). I've been going to at least three classes per week. I was just wondering, will practising yoga develop muscles that are contrary to what a ballet dancer needs? Any info would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks in advance.<BR>~Dee<BR>p.s. Thank you! Basheva for responding to my email, and telling me about this very informative site. It's definately a "Favourites".

Post subject: Re: connection between yoga and ballet
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 5:15 am 

hi dee! Image yoga is great, and can only help you. we have a good thread about it somewhere, which i will find and link into this thread for you (if someone else doesn't beat me to it).<P>i envy you managing to get to three classes a week - as well as ballet - good combination. enjoy! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 10:27 am 

Hello Dee - welcome to the board!! I, myself, have never taken yoga but I do know of another dancer/teacher who does and she feels it has been very beneficial. I have never heard of any contrary opinions concerning ballet and yoga. <P>However,you are very wise to ask this question, because there are many types of exercises that do not go together well with the ballet. The Russians for many years would only allow their dance students to take swimming. Many dancers have used swimming to help them through times when they are injured.<P>It would be intersting for you to keep us informed what your experieces are.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2000 11:27 am 

Dee--welcome. I have been practicing yoga now for about three years, and am working towards teacher cerification. I am also a professional dancer/teacher and have been for over 20years. I highly recommend yoga. Ashtanga style is quite challenging,and as you probably already know, is a more "aerobic" style, rather than traditional hatha, in which you hold and stretch for longer periods in each asana (pose). One of the best benefits of yoga is that develops upper body strength, which dance training often neglects (at least ballet does).<BR>The best advice I can give you is find a good teacher--one who has lots of experience, or is recommmended to you by someone you respect, or is certified. (not all great teachers are certified, nor are all certified teachers great, but it is ONE indicator of a level of training) Have fun and namaste!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 2:45 pm 

trina, i know we have discussed yoga before, but that discussion got a bit over my head....could you please just explain a little more about the ashtanga type here? i have never seen this.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 5:50 pm 

Ashtanga, sometimes called flow, or power yoga, moves rapidly between poses, developing aerobic strength and also muscular endurance. Vigorous jumping transitions, deep forward bends and balances comprise most of the class. By raising the core body temperature, this aerobic workout readies the body for some deep stretches. <BR>There are several different styles of yoga, the basic, general one that most folks are familiar with is "hatha" yoga, which combines different types of breathing techniques incorporated with asanas (poses) which key into the "nadis" or lines of energy (similar to meridians in acupuncutre)in the body, cleansing and energizing the body. A hatha yoga classes holds the poses for many minutes; as opposed to ashtanga, which moves more rapidly. There are several other styles: Iyengar (named after it's founder BKS Iyengar), Viniyoga (theraputic yoga), Bikram's --another vigorous form which involves classes in a studio heated to over 90 degrees to encourage muscular elasticity,and only uses a limited number of standing poses...well Grace , I could go on ....not sure if I answered your original question.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 6:15 pm 

no, no - PLEASE don't go on! Image<P>that was my problem before - everyone DID go on, and i gave up!<P>just the one little bit at a time, is what i need. so you have answered my question well - thank you.<P>i would really like to SEE this ashtanga variety!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 2:03 pm 

Grace--sorry for giving "too much information". AS you can probably tell, I am very much "into" yoga these dayss.....!!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 2:43 pm 

NOT 'too much' trina Image - that was the other thread, and i think another very well-informed and conscientious poster.<P>i can tell you're enthusiastic about it - that's one of the nice things about the informal conversational style of this board - your enthusiasm comes across with the information, and lifts MY interest too. <P>if i ever see ashtanga advertised here, i'll be most curious for any opportunity to see it - i'm not game to participate!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 11:45 pm 

Hello to all!<P>Thank you for taking the time to read my post and answering my questions!<P>Basheva: I just started yoga; I've been practising for about a month and a half, so I have yet to see any significant changes. However, my hip joints are REALLY starting to loosen up. Also, I'm starting to feel really light on my feet. I'll definately keep you posted on my progress.<P>Grace: I found a great Ashtanga website for you! They have a digital(?) graphic showing how to breath and move through some of the primary series poses. Of course, it's not the same thing as seeing it before you, but at least it will give you some idea how it's done. When my yoga teacher demonstrates, it's magical. He moves so graceful; very cat-like (or is it dog-like? Image) Anyway, here's the website address: <A HREF="http://www.ghita.com.au/indexf.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ghita.com.au/indexf.html</A> <BR>...have fun browsing<P>Trina: Namaste...thank you for your encouraging words! I'll definately keep practising. I love my yoga class AND teacher. Even though he really works us (i don't think I have ever sweated so much in my entire life!*laughing*), he still manages to make it fun. Congratulations Image on your yoga teacher certification. I'm SURE you'll be a great teacher. You seem really passionate about it.<P>Well, that's it for now. Take care...and Shanti<BR>~love Dee<P>p.s. I just wanted to say, although i love yoga, nothing compares to my ballet class. It's what I look forward to all week.<BR>