CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What is "Dolly Dinkle"?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 3:19 am 

well? Image

Post subject: Re: What is "Dolly Dinkle"?
PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 5:14 am 

Hi Grace! Fancy meeting you here.<P>Anyway to quote from Tom Parsons ballet faq <P>'Schools range all the way from professional track schools (where the emphasis is placed on eventually becoming a professional dancer) to schools for triflers (where, as Amy Reusch puts it, the emphasis seems to be on recital photo-opportunities for the parents & grandparents). In some circles, schools of the latter type are scornfully known as "Dolly Dinkle"'

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 5:38 am 

"schools for triflers"! - love that phrase!<P>hi trog, and welcome from one australian to another. very glad you found us.... Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 5:54 am 

I remember that phrase "Dolly Dinkle" being used by a teacher in a most derogatory manner to criticize a student's efforts. Watching the face of that student collapse, it is a phrase I have never used. <P>Of course there are the serious schools and the less than serious schools, but there is nothing inherently wrong in children (and adults) taking dance lessons for non-professional intent. In years to come such a child might become the adult in the audience for ballet. Dance and music lessons (like all the millions who take piano lessons) are never lost - always add a dimension to a young life, even if never pursued.<P>It makes me think of Anna Pavlova. She danced around the world (in an age when travel by air did not exist)and danced at many, many less than professional venues, for people who would never have seen dance otherwise. She set off many ripples across the pond and some of those ripples turned into Frederick Ashton, and Anton Dolin.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 5:31 am 

so does dolly dinkle just mean 'schools for triflers', as in 'recreational dance schools' - even the good ones? <P>or does the term mean a bad school/poor teacher?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 6:09 am 

I always thought that the term referred to the hobby teacher...who was in it for the $$$$ and all of the training focus was towards the year end spectacle. The students class time was 70% making & practicing dances for the year end & 30% learning steps with no emphasis on technique or correct execution.<P>

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2000 6:46 am 

thanks rabbit - i guess this is what i am getting at - is it just a disparaging term, which could mean 'ANY of the above', depending on the context? or does it have a fairly well-accepted meaning, such that any of you can reliably define it?<P>in case you aren't aware, we don't have this term in australia - but BOY! do we have these SCHOOLS! Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:53 am 

About twenty years ago my daughters dance teacher opened a small neighborhood studio in our community. Since she was raising her daughter at the time, she did not want to be her only dance teacher. So she enrolled her in a professional ballet school in a nearby city. The teacher at the "ballet school" knew that Kari's mom was a dance teacher, but had never met her since her grandmother took Kari to ballet class. But the teacher at the "ballet school" always referred to Kari's mom as "that owner of that Dolly Dinkle studio". On watch day at the end of the year Kari's mom attended. At the end of the class she met the director, she said "hello, I am Dolly Dinkle!"<P>------------------<BR>ap's mom<p>[This message has been edited by ap's mom (edited October 18, 2000).]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 6:44 pm 

excellent story, ap's mom! and welcome! Image