CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Nov 14, 2018 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Various Dance Schools
PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 6:30 am 

I was intrigued by what was said above about watching your students being taught by another teacher - and how much you (as a teacher) can learn from that. Several times I have been called in for just such a purpose to the performing arts high schools in this area. We call that a "master class". <P>I would be told the age and approximate level of the class and nothing else. So, I came in with the barre and center work in my head that I intended to present. The regular teachers would be present - but silent - and watch. There were times when I would realize that a step that one would expect that level to know had not been taught - and I would have to stop and teach that step. For instance, once I gave a grand waltz en diagonale that included a waltz turn and this fairly advanced class had never even seen this step. So, I had to stop and teach it. <P>The teachers immediately began making notes that they would have to really use and reinforce this particular step that somehow they had missed teaching to these students. It's just helpful to have fresh input once in a while - and as a teacher, if you watch you can also see your students with fresh eyes. It works both ways. Unfortunately, there are some teachers who are just too territorial - or threatened by this procedure - to make use of it. It is a very broadening experience and a really good teacher will welcome it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 12:06 pm 

professional dancers have to work with different choreographers and partners so why shouldn't students have different teachers? Pupils are perhaps better off staying with a single teacher or teachers from the same "school" - provided they are good of course.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 3:31 pm 

dear gavin - i know you are a busy man (!) - but did you read this thread before posting?..... i think you will find, above, just a few very good reasons for this recomendation, UP TO a certain age/stage.....i agree with you that AFTER a certain point, exposure to variety is great! Image<P>p.s. there are plenty MORE reasons, of course, which posters MAY wish to describe - i'll leave it up to them....

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 5:12 pm 

Gaven - Hello - I think we all pretty much agreed that it is probably best to stay with the same teacher (providing the teacher is good of course) until a certain age and level of attainment. For a beginner, child or adult, taking from more than one teacher can be confusing. After that, when the student has some experience with the nature of what is being taught, the student will be a much beter judge of a teacher and should take from different teachers. I think we pretty much all agreed to that, too. <P>The real difficulty is to recognize, when you are a beginner, if the teacher you have is "good". In another thread we discussed that at some length. You might want to scroll down and find the thread "How to Recognize a Good Ballet Teacher" and read through that. If, you have any questions, or thoughts to add - just post them. We are all interested.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 23, 2000 10:29 pm 

You're right, Basheva, watching one's students taught by somebody else is a good way to understand the points in which a teacher is missing or has to insist on her teaching. That's why I always watch my students and I learn a lot (I don't feel threatened by this but honoured!). <BR>In addition, there's the fact that sometimes we get "used" to our students' bodies, placements, mistakes and so on and we correct them always in the same way, with the same words, from the same point of view (it shouldn't be so, I know, but it happens Image). Another teacher may correct the same mistake in another way, using another language and different examples. It's a way to let our students understand better their bodies and the what they're learning because it gives them another perspective from which they can watch the same thing. antoP.