public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Aug 28, 2014 5:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Modern Book
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 7:27 pm 

Can anyone recommend a Modern Dance technique book which includes Graham? My ideal would be a book like Gretchen Ward Warren's Classical Ballet Technique, covering several styles of Modern.<P>I'm in my second semester of Ballet and Jazz, and my first semester of Modern and Tap. The Modern is mostly Graham, but I'll have other teachers in the future.<P>Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Modern Book
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 7:30 pm 

MichaelB - a warm welcome to our board!!<P>I am a ballet teacher so I cannot answer your question about books for modern dance. However, we have several very experienced and knowledgeable modern dancers and teachers here who I am sure will be able to help. So, please keep checking back.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2001 8:09 pm 

Basheva, Thanks for your welcome and your quick response. <BR>I've enjoyed many, many posts of yours while reading through the archives.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 8:41 am 

Michael ---welcome!! Glad you found us!!!--are you attending a university dance program?<BR>As far as a modern technique book: the Graham technque is copyrighted. That means that the technique is protected, and can only be taught by a teacher certified/qualified to teach that technqie specifically. One book I can recommed for Jose Limon techniqe: It is called the "The Illustrated Dance technique of Jose Limon" by Daniel Lewis, published by Harper and Row, l984. It has some exellent historical pictures, and illutrations of "how to". I recommend it!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 9:56 am 

Hi Michael,<P>You might want to take a look at some of these books, I took the information from the publishers website, <A HREF="http://www.dancehorizons.com/educ.html" TARGET=_blank>Dance Horizons</A>. One of the first two books, I can't remember without looking at it, contains a lot of fundamentals of Graham technique although it's not referenced as being "Graham" specifically but you would recognize the exercises in your Graham class. I found it useful when I was trying to figure Graham technique out.<P>BASIC CONCEPTS IN MODERN DANCE, Third Edition<BR>by Gay Cheney<BR>An introduction to modern dance and body movement techniques, beginning with an overview of the history of modern dance and proceeding to a discussion of basic body movement, improvisation, and choreography. A series of clearly photographed exercises enables the dancer to execute each movement properly and to learn to use the body more effectively and expressively.<P>128 pages, 43 b&w photographs, paperbound, ISBN 0-916622-76-2, $13.95<P>MODERN DANCE FUNDAMENTALS<BR>by Nona Schurman <BR>and Sharon Leigh Clark<BR>A clearly detailed book of notation with simple, basic exercises in Humphrey-Weidman technique for the beginner student or teacher. The authors have divided the book into three parts: The first part introduces Labanotation and explains how to read it; the second part has notated exercises of the Humphrey-Weidman technique; and the third part contains suggestions for using these exercises as a basis for improvisation or for planning technique class. <P>283 pages, published in 1972, 8.5" x 11", paperbound, ISBN 0-87127-193-1, $21.95<P>ADDENDUM TO<BR>MODERN DANCE FUNDAMENTALS<BR>by Odette Blum<BR>When read along with the original MODERN DANCE FUNDAMENTALS, this update is the perfect reference for those interested in the Humphrey-Weidman technique and the fundamentals of modern dance. <P>74 pages, published in 1991, spiralbound, ISBN 0-87127-195-8,$17.95<P><p>[This message has been edited by Marie (edited January 20, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 11:44 am 

Hi MichaelB, I have a copy of Robert Cohan's "The Dance Workshop" which is very interesting. Every step is clearly explained and is accompanied by very good drawings. Cohan was trained with Martha Graham and was Artistic Director of The London Contemporary Dance. My edition is rather old (1986)and it's published by Unwin Paperbacks but I think the book is still available. HTH. antoP.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2001 7:40 pm 

Thanks for all replies so far.<P>Believe it or not, all 5 books listed above are available at barnesandnoble.com<P>This coming week I'll see if any of your recommendations are in local shops, and ask my teacher's advice, to help me choose.<BR> <BR>A popular seller is The Dancer Prepares: Modern Dance for Beginners James Penrod Janice Gudde Plastino. But it looks a bit thin on technique.<P>Trina--I'm an adult student at a local community college. Thanks, I'm glad I found the forum and have spent a lot of time reading old and new posts. The quality of the content is amazing. With many highly intelligent, articulate, experienced, and talented people gathering in the forum, the interchange and peer review results in a lasting product which in ways is superior to even a good book. It is a great service not only to those who post regularly, but to those who read through volumes of posts without posting often or at all.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2001 7:34 am 

thanks a bunch from all of us, michael! Image when you say 'the 5 listed books are available at barnes & noble', does that include the limon book? it would be good news if that is in print again.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 21, 2001 8:37 am 

Yes:<P>The Illustrated Dance Technique of Jose Limon Daniel D. Lewis<BR>Our Price: $24.95 <BR>In Stock: 24 hours (Same Day) <BR>Format: Paperback, 208pp. ISBN: 0871272091 Publisher: Princeton University Press<BR>Pub. Date: May 1999<BR>Edition Desc: REPRINT<BR> <A HREF="http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=673YUDMGGI&mscssid=V45PPJ2C2PFW9L2AF905UVAMSHEH869F&isbn=0871272091" TARGET=_blank>barnes & noble</A> <p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited January 31, 2001).]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 5:03 pm 

Wow, good to know that book is in print again. Daniel Lewis is the Dean of Dance at New World School of the Arts in Miami, a former Limon Co. member and a former teacher of mine at Juilliard in New York!! Michael, again,...thanks for your contributions!! WE look forward to hearing more from you!!

Profile E-mail