public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Creativity in Dance: what's that?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2001 6:25 am 

That's a really interesting site, Berry. Thank you. I have read in several articles that the study of music is well known to enhance the study of math. And this site gives some very concrete ways of using these two forms cooperatively.<P>What intrigues me, too, is how the study of the performing arts enhances the knowledge of one's body - whether it be playing a musical instrument or dance. How many people (normal people LOL) are aware of whether they are left balanced or right balanced on a particular day? As a dancer is.<P>How many people are aware of the elasticity of their lips on any given day, as is someone who plays a wind instrument?<P>My piano teacher was fastidious about her fingers, and was extremely attuned (pun intended) to their state of being.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 11:07 am 

I was a little busy the last days. I hope you agree, when i pick up some of the postings before.<P>Maggie posted January 23:<P>One small addendum to Rabbit's excellent post. Something that was actually touched upon. Much creativity arises when a person is doing "nothing" by most societal standards. The creative process needs room to exist, and with most people being constantly "busy" with constant activity and input, the creative aspect is either forced or unable to come forward at all. <BR>Being busy and having input or stimulus isn't bad, it's just becoming unbalanced. Those times of doing nothing are necessary and doesn't mean nothing is happening. We sometimes feel guilty about it, or conversely, we feel proud about how "busy" we are, and like to "outbusy" others. Our hearts and minds need room to allow things to come to the surface after we have spent time stimulating them with our world and environment.<BR>Yes, Maggie, this is perhaps one of the most important phases in the creative process. Just before the “illumination” we do have a period of doing ”nothing”.<P>The phase before that there is the “incubation”. This is the time where we have the explorations, the rejections, doing it again, changing it, finding new entrances and so on.<P>I’m sure most of us know where I am talking about. (the phase in the beginning is the “preparing” and at the end the “verification” / it’s possible you use other terms, but that’s not so important)<P>For me it’s the question: how much time do we need for the “incubation”? Sometimes it takes 30 minutes, sometimes some days, sometime even longer. But, to call it a creative process you have to go through all the phases. When not it isn’t a creative process.<P>Every class takes 60 – 90 minutes. I doubt if a creative process is possible in a regular class. I’m really sorry, it’s similar, but it’s not a creative process. You just don’t have enough time.<P>Personally I think it’s more a development of the vitality. I’m sure Rabbit, you disagree J<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 11:33 am 

I know that for me creativity comes out of quiet moments - usually alone. It is like a door opens ...........<P>And usually the solution is a very simple one that suddenly manifests itself. It is like a poem that almost writes itself - and the best ones do that. It's the perfect word that comes to mind - that clears up a previous incongruity.<P>Unexplainable - and I am not sure I would want to explain it. To some extent I can call upon it for writing and choreography, but that is not quite the same - doesn't have quite the same quality as when it comes of itself, almost unbidden. <P>Magic.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2001 5:22 pm 

RE:<BR>"Personally I think it’s more a development of the vitality. I’m sure Rabbit, you disagree "<P> Berry, I would happily comply and disagree with you here..( Insert smiley face here)...but I am just such a dumb bunny today..I am not sure what you mean by "development of the vitality" ?<P> In any case I think that creative process is likely an individual approach..we do not all think/act/learn/communicate alike..<P>Whatever it is I am just thankful that it is a part of the human experience that so enriches all our lives. And I have enjoyed this discussion a great deal.<P> For Miss Chrissy: I am happy that she posted on the topic of creativity and dance for the little set as she has completely renewed my faith. Thank you Miss Chrissy...I went to the moon last week, today I climbed a beanstock. And as I ate my giant cake that I found in the Giant castle I thought of you.<P>Silly Rabbit <BR>