CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Audition question: European ballet co.
PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 12:51 pm 

I have some students who are interested in auditioning in Europe for regional ballet companies. I seem to remember that in Germany, for example, that the auditions for regional companies are held within a certain month. This info. is old; I dont' know if this is still the case. Also, what are the work/visa restrictions for Americans, ie, non-members of the European-Union dancers? Is it even worth auditioning for a corps level job as an American dancer?

Post subject: Re: Audition question: European ballet co.
PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 10:22 am 

A lot depends on the company; the size, the style, etc.

There are actually quite a few dancers whom I would say are corps-level, but who have solo or part-solo contracts in smaller companies. This not only makes the visa-requirements easier to fulfill, but makes it easier for the companies to put the dancers in many different roles. Smaller companies have more opportunities for dancers to dance solo roles, of course.

As to when the auditions are normally held, I am not sure if there is really an official month.
It is usually the case that the theatres here in Germany must let the dancers know about this time(Oct) if the theater will not be keeping the dancer for the following season. (starting in July or Aug. of the following year)
Therefore, it is about now that the companies know which dancers they will not be keeping under contract.
There is, of course, always the possibility that some dancers will decide later in the current season that they do not want to stay on.
Then the companies will be looking for replacements later on - into Feb. or March; in some instances even later.

Post subject: Re: Audition question: European ballet co.
PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 12:47 pm 

"Dance Europe" Magazine has the most extensive European audition list I have come across:

http://www.danceeurope.net/docs/JOB/JOB.SHTML

Bear in mind that a lot of the smaller European ballet companies have shifted to performing work along the lines of Nederlands Dans Theatre, rather than classical ballet.

Not sure about the arrangements for US citizens joining European companies, although there are a lot of precedents. Could an organisation like Dance USA advise you?

<small>[ 31 October 2004, 01:49 PM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>