CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sun Nov 18, 2018 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: hurt feet....
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 12:05 pm 

just wanted to know if anyone already had the same problem : I regularly lose the big toe nail because of the pointe shoes... Is there something I can do?

Post subject: Re: hurt feet....
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 1:55 pm 

You should keep the toe nail well trimmed - never showing over the top of the toe. Try to trim the toenail on a day when you are not having class - that gives the skin time to de-sensitize. Also toe nails are easier to trim after a warm shower or bath. Don't cut them too short either.<P>You can also put a band-aide around the toe nail just before you put your tights on - that seems to help - and a bit of lambs wool across the front of the nail. It takes a bit of experimenting to see what works for you. Lots of luck with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 3:35 pm 

hi paquita! moving this thread to STUDIO... Image

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 1:41 am 

hi again paquita: i don't really have much to add to that, except to say not to cut down the sides of the nail. ingrown toenails occur when the sides are cut away - i realise this is not the problem you have, but still something to be aware of, especially when we are advising you to cut the nail quite short.<P>i'd be inclined to have said the same thing as basheva: that a blue nail indicates bruising, and it sounds like it comes from the base of the nail, which could indicate impact being transferred when en pointe, through the nail, from the tip to the nailbed, which causes bleeding under the nail.. and later the loss of the nail.<P>later addition to this post: sorry i got confused there - distracted by a cat on my keyboard! Image - you DON'T say you have a blue nail first, but nevertheless i'll leave this up, in case any of it applies....<P>also if you do a search in this STUDIO forum, you will find a thread called 'feet', which has links to some good feet sites - possibly even an advice forum at one of them...worth a look. good luck. Image<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 15, 2000).]