public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:50 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: foot stretch "machine"
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 7:02 am 

Firstly, Happy New Year to everyone!! Hope you had a good one!<BR>This foot stetch "machine" is from Grace's post in "feet". <BR>What do you think?? Can anyone tell me whether it is popular in the US? <BR>From what I can see, the dancer on the ad has the most gorgeous feet, but.... <BR>I guess it would encourage people to buy it.<BR>I would be very interested to hear some feedback from someone who has tried it ( as I have never heard of anyone coming through with good results after using ballet "machines"/ products.<BR>Thanks!<BR>

Post subject: Re: foot stretch "machine"
PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 7:28 am 

Though I do not have any personal experience with the machine in question, dancers have long used 'home made' methods for this type of stretch (radiators, furniture, you name it). One potential risk, if the the bones in the leg are not straight in conformation, is to transfer the stress of the stretch up the leg (i.e.patellar tendon etc.). Though type of stretch may have it's benefits, I believe there is a sort of Catch-22 to it: it would work best on adolescent, developing bodies who in turn are the least likely to do this in a careful, supervised environment. <P>------------------<BR>It is not knowing the answer that matters, but what question to ask...<p>[This message has been edited by Cabriole (edited December 31, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 9:06 am 

I would be very leery of trying anything like this. There are other ways of getting the foot to be more flexible and strong that are simpler, safer and, yes, cheaper.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 1:44 pm 

Hi Cabriole, can you tell me more about this part?<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>One potential risk, if the the bones in the leg are not straight in conformation, is to transfer the stress of the stretch up the leg (i.e.patellar tendon etc.).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 2:27 pm 

Hi Priscilla, yes, I will try to clarify my post further: The machine is designed to stretch specific connective tissue in the foot and ankle, however to achieve this stretch, the dancer must exert some leverage against the ankle joints. In the manner of rollerblading injuries where wearing protective wrist guards often results in compound fractures in the elbow region (the force is transferred up the arm when the wrist is enforced), legs that are not straight in conformation (i.e. hyperextended, bowed, etc.) may not be able to successfully provide the leverage without stressing the connective tissue farther up the leg. Does this clarify? <P>------------------<BR>It is not knowing the answer that matters, but what question to ask...<p>[This message has been edited by Cabriole (edited December 31, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2000 5:11 pm 

as expected, very good to have your input here, cabriole. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2001 5:21 am 

Thanks for filling out that picture a bit more for me, Cabriole. Somehow it reminds me of how buildings are engineered to distribute shocks like earthquakes.<P>Anyway, I don't really like the idea of using a machine to torque my parts around with. Surely various tools have their uses, but I don't even really care for using belts and bolsters and things in yoga classes, so I'm hardly going to buy something to help my foot point prettier.<p>[This message has been edited by Priscilla (edited January 01, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2001 5:31 am 

As I stated stated in my original response to this thread, I have no personal experience with the 'machine' (though I have examined it in person). I do want to be clear that I also have no objection to it in theory; any more than I have objection to the various Pilates equipment, etc. My concern is primarily that it is marketed for home use to the very people who are most likely to be least careful in its use.<P>------------------<BR>It is not knowing the answer that matters, but what question to ask...

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2001 6:04 am 

<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Anyway, I don't really like the idea of using a machine to torque my parts around with.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Well, said Priscilla - I agree exactly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2001 6:50 am 

Cabriole, your posts are so well put. Regarding machines, or equipment. There are good ones and bad ones. These things are only as good as the knowledge is to use them. They *can* make some exercises, or movements easier, and therefore more accessible to using the correct form, but the knowledge of using them is imperative. I use the floor as much, and sometimes more than I use equipment. Sometimes the floor exercises are harder than the same ones done on equipment. Sometimes it helps to have someone "know" the movement before equipment is used, and sometimes the equipment helps someone to "know" the movement. <P>A pointe shoe also functions as a piece of equipment, or prop. Used without knowledge, it is dangerous. Not used at all is also dangerous!<P>I am not personally familiar with the foot stretch machine. I probably wouldn't use it in my work even if I were familiar with it for the reasons that Cabriole elaborated. I prefer other methods, myself, for stretching feet, *if* they truly need it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 01, 2001 5:35 pm 

I don't have a problem with other people using machines and apparati - that's up to the individual. This particular individual thinks they probably have many wonderful attributes when used correctly - I'm just not interested. That's all. I usually drink my coffee and tea plain too - kinda plain ole in some of my ways. I think the only 'body gadget' I've ever wanted was gravity boots - and I've never really seen any, just heard. Hanging upside down always sounded good for some reason.<P>It is very clever of people to think of these inventions though - I do think that is interesting. I wonder if they sell many.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2001 3:58 am 

My daughter has a foot machine which she has used since July last year. The rubber strap supposed to hold your foot in broke almost immediately but she says she prefers to use it without anyway. She possibly overdid it at first and had stiffness in her feet but now uses is regularly (and takes it into the school on occasions for the others to try) It is made in Italy and my husband who has an engineering background could not find any design faults with it. I would say it is a success as she had improved the strength of her feet, although hard to judge how much is as a result of daily ballet classes.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2001 6:32 am 

Hello Caroline - nice to see you - welcome -<P>I suppose everyone has a different view of these machines - and as long as they are used with care... I would be interested in hearing a doctors view point of it.

Profile E-mail