CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The Perfect Studio
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 7:03 pm 

Along with the Perfect Parent - we can imagine the Perfect Studio. Aside from endless open space, comfy changing rooms, roomy office, multiple bathrooms, etc. what special things would I have?<P>Well, let's see - a room for a masseuse- or seven - always on duty.<P>An electrical current along the barre - so when the teacher (me) says let go of the barre to test your balance - and you don't do it - wow - I just throw the electrical switch. HA HA (Just a light current)<P>A very accurate pea shooter. I sit on my teacher's chair and when I say - straighten that knee - I just accurately shoot off a pellet from a pea shooter and hit the offending knee - without pain of course - just to get the student's attention. <P>For the student that for no accountable reason stops in the midst of the diagonale in a really big jump so that everyone will collide with her - and just stands there - a convenient trap door opens - boom - she's gone!!<BR>(unharmed of course - just gone)<P>What would you add?

Post subject: Re: The Perfect Studio
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 7:37 pm 

basheva, you ARE in a cheeky mood today!<P>there was i, thinking this was going to be a serious thread! Image<P>love the mid-studio trapdoor!<P>TRYING to be serious, just for a moment....<P>when i moved to the town i'm in now, i booked the use of the dance studio, for my classes, a year before the building of the theatre went up. so i had no idea what i would be getting, but i wanted to be in the theatre (the town's only theatre, and right on the water's edge: it's idyllic).<P>given the architect's drawings, and the situation, i had imagined that the studio would be on one of the sides of the building, with at least one wall, and possibly 2, being floor to ceiling glass panels all the way. i did not really imagine we would be on the waterside - but i did fantasize about how lovely that would be! <P>it DOES have floor to ceiling glass all the way around - it's glorious!<P>so imagine my surprise when the building was complete, but the studio is on the INside, completely enclosed, with a black ceiling, so unless we work with the doors always open, it really feels claustrophobic. just what i didn't expect...<P>at least it has good proportions, good polished wooden barre at an appropriate height, floor-to-ceiling mirrors on the long wall (regrettably these are behind the barre, not an ideal placement, in my view), and a good lino-covered (Tarkett) floor.<P>but i always work with the doors open. so my ideal studio would have floor-to-ceiling glass panels all the way around 2 walls, and these would directly overlook the water!<P>all for psychological effect, of course! Image<P>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 7:41 pm 

Well I see in my original post I type "while sitting in my teacher's chair" - now that would be novel. I don't ever remember sitting down while teaching. Soooooooo I would have, in my perfect studio, a reclining lazy-boy rocker with a table beside it to hold a cup of herbal tea AH!!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 11:12 pm 

"pull the other one!" Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 12:06 am 

my perfect studio defintely has WOODEN barres - i hate cold metal ones.<P>when i saw something about your electrical current up above, basheva - i thought you were being nice, warming up the barre like a towel rail!!! Image<P>i see that - in your ideal studio - you are NOT that kind of teacher! Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2000 6:43 am 

Oh I really love wooden barres!! The history of all that sweat soaked into the wood. When Alicia Alonso came to the studio on the day I saw her do her barre - she happened to stand exactly where I stood and so her sweat was in that barre. I often thought of that. <P>I, too, once taught at a glorious studio that was on the grounds of a church - down both sides were floor to ceiling glass windows looking out to sunshine and green hills. The class was all little girls - outside the boys were playing ball. Well, as it turned out the boys lined up to watch the girls and make fun of them- these children were about 8-10 yrs age group. So the church leaders decided to cover those wonderful glass walls with very heavy black curtains - so the boys couldn't see inside. It was sooooooo claustrophobic. I asked them why didn't they just tell the boys not to stand there and tease the girls? But, no - it was just easier to "punish" the girls - and so we danced with totally black curtained walls. It did have an effect. It killed the class.