public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:43 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: recognizing your teacher
PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 5:24 am 

At the end of all our classes we do a group (led by instructor) bow or reverance. Afterwards we all clap for each other/instructor included as that is what the audience does at the end of a performance--and even though everyone performed during class--we were also part audience watching each other as well as the instructor.<P>Often my older students call out a "thank you Miss Jan" as they are exiting--which warms my heart because they really mean it, and often they are talking about a specific correction or my going over a combination one more time for them.<P>All my students will thank a guest instructor (or if we are taking a trip for a class outside the studio) individually--going up to the instructor after the class to say thank you and if they enjoyed a specific part of the class they will mention it--or thank them for a correction. That is part of the required etiquette for taking a master class or a trip with Miss Jan--you must show respect at all times for the other dancers/teacher and also be good dance ambassadors from our studio.<P>Denise--if you are looking for a way to incorporate a closing thank you at the end of a class--I would suggest that you simply begin by saying thank you as you exit the studio--either just calling it out every week or taking a moment to thank her for a specific correction/bit of help. Others will catch on and begin thanking her as well.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 5:27 am 

I forgot to add--that if ever Miss Chrissy is a guest instructor or we visit her--we will of course pay proper homage and curtsey individually to her, kiss her ring and even dance attendance to show her our reverance and respect Image both before and after the class!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 10:19 am 

Thank you, Jan. It's a pleasure being the Princess of Quitealot. <P>Also, Basheva -- I saved you some coffee and pumpkin bread a couple of Sundays ago. But I tossed it last night.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 10:33 am 

Well, today Debbie (my ballet teacher and a member of this board) and I talked about the reverence - and I made a very special thing of going over to her and giving her my individual curtsey - and it was done with love and thanks. <P>Christina - I saved some guacomole with taquitos for you ........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 3:37 pm 

thanking the teacher after each class? nope. we just hug each other... after we have our clothes on!<BR>-zoe

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 4:54 pm 

Zoe--<BR>is there a naked dance class somewhere I'm missing out on? Image<BR>Jan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 5:03 pm 

Zoe - are you speaking of ballet class or another kind of class?<P>Which brings me to this question - do students of other kinds of classes - modern - jazz - tap, etc........do some kind of reverence as ballet dancers do? Applaud? say thank you in some way?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2001 5:17 pm 

Most modern classes applaud. Sometimes half-heartedly, lol.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 1:01 am 

We seem to applaud at the end of all the classes. Not butoh though - that would actually really irritate me after being tuned and aware in that particular way the smacking clatter of applause would jar me. Instead our instructor gently leads us from wherever we were to all completing one final sort of gesture together and letting class kind of dissipate and settle to a close. It's nice.<P>Otherwise the clapping is ok, but often just a thing to do because we do rather than a meaningful gesture of appreciation. I usually try to thank the teacher - at least a quick "thanks for class!" as I zoom to my next whatever it is I zoom around for.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 4:15 am 

I lead all my students in a bow or reverance of some sort whether it is a ballet class, tap, jazz or modern. Afterwards there is applause as a general thanks--last night my musical theater group had a rehearsal with the pit orchestra and I reminded them to applaud for the pit and go up individually to thank the conductor for their graciousness in allowing the dancers to come to a pit rehearsal to work on fine tuning their pieces. <P>Saying thank you to those who are giving you an opportunity to learn or fine-tune your craft is the smallest appreciation you can give and in this day and age--often overlooked or taken for granted--people need to be recognized and appreciated, part of our role as mentors (whether we like it or not) is to show students how to be professional and gracious towards other artists. This is not something that is strictly dance-related--all those that touch our lives or teach us small lessons should be given thanks for the time and caring that they have put into their work; whether it is the dance teacher, the school teacher, the mailman, the clerk at the market--if children are all taught to be gracious more often, then eventually we would see adults who are more appreciative of others in society as a whole.<P>stepping down from my warped little soapbox!<BR>Jan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 9:41 am 

Nothing warped about it, Jan. I thank the street car driver every day, and you would not believe the difference in their attitude towards me compared to the grumpy folk who grunt or say nothing. They will even stop a block away and wait for me to get on if they see me walking in that direction. Every day is all we get, so it's good to acknowledge people -- to let them know we, in fact, SEE them.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2001 10:24 am 

I thank the postal delivery person every time I see him.<P>But, bringing this back to dance...I think one of the reasons people send their children to dance class, maybe especially ballet class, is to learn some grace and manners. Sounds so old fashioned doesn't it? But that's what many parents have told me. And why not? <P>In pas de deux class we always thanked our partners. As dancers we applaud the orchestra conductor and the musicians.<P>I don't think it is easy to err on the side of courtesy - but, oh my, the other way is easy enough.

Profile E-mail