CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I NEED HELP WITH EXTENTION!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2000 1:43 pm 

Hey,<BR>i need some exercises that will help me and work my extentions to get them higher and better!!! please help me...gimme some tips and exercises!!! send them to me via e-mail...(Nessa419@aol.com)...Thank you...so much!!!<BR>please respond ASAP!!!<BR><P>------------------<BR>Ballerina Vanessa~*<BR>We all have a story, eveyone's is different, thats why we dance and we love it!!~ ... Vanessa

Post subject: Re: I NEED HELP WITH EXTENTION!!!
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2000 2:31 pm 

<P>Vanessa - welcome to the board!! <BR>Here is some help to get you started - This is what I did every day in class and still do. When you are well warmed up - put your leg on the barre in front of you and keeping your hips carefully aligned.<P>It is just a very slow process. As I understand it – and how it worked for me was – there are two sets of muscles used in lifting the legs – in the undersides of the legs themselves, in the stomach and in the back. One set lifts the legs to a certain height and the second set then takes over. But in order to get to the second set – you need to get above the first set. My first teacher suggested – and what seemed to really work for me – was to put my leg up on the barre – and without stretching at all – just lift the leg momentarily off the barre only an inch or two to begin with. Lift, lower, lift, lower –several times – in devant and seconde, always keeping the hips in alignment. No stretching – just those small lifts. Eventually, those small lifts get larger. This allowed me to get beyond that first set of muscles and begin to work on the second set. You can also do that sitting on the ground, except then you don't get to use your buttocks muscles - cause you are sitting on them. Another place you can work on this is in grand battement. After you battement your leg - retard its return. Don't just let your leg fall down - lower it down - control its descent. A whole new way to work. Feel that control as you lower your leg. Lower it don't just drop it. <P>As for the arabesque what really worked for me was to fully engage that strong back of mine. I would stand at the barre, pointe my outside toe behind me and do a backbend over it - making absolutely sure I was NOT putting any weight on that toe. At the fullest extent of my backbend I would "engage" my back and bring up that leg behind me with my back muscles and then keep on going to full arabesque and then into penche' never letting my back muscles go slack. <P>I did these things religiously - every day - every class - every rehearsal - and am still doing them 30 years later. I did it this morning, in fact. I ended up with very slender legs -because I did NOT use my front outside thigh muscles (but only the muscles underneath my thigh which don't get large, just strong), and very strong stomach and back muscles - long and strong. <P><BR>I hope that I have been able to make this understandable. It takes patience, patience, patience - but it is possible. <P>The E-Mail address that Nessa gave is not correct - she left out a letter - if anyone wishes the E-Mail address - since she has given her permission to receive E-Mails let me know. <P>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited November 02, 2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited November 03, 2000).]