public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:48 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ...oh, yeah, I just made that up - it was nothing...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 5:20 pm 

I started to just put this in the thread where the idea first came up, but realized this topic didn't really belong in "what's in Frankfurt, Germany" anymore - hence, the new thread in Studio.<P>Ok - <P>Because I was interested in Stuart's comments on Forsythe's improvisational techniques in choreography (<A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000247.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum11/HTML/000247.html</A>) I read an article at the aforementioned website. This quote in particular (of many) stuck out at me:<P><I><B>"...is not a concept of improvisation as an illusory freedom, nor of an anarchic free-for-all, but of a highly trained state in which dancers are able to rely on their own ability to access appropriate movements for themselves and their contexts."</I></B><P>I think this is one of the finest definitions of improvisation I've ever read. As a student, performer, and choreographer of jazz and modern dance I've spent some time in the realm of improvisation and it's one of the things that's been most exciting to learn about and explore. As well as being frequently misunderstood as "just noodling around" which is where I got the title for this thread.<P>Anyway - because I'm so interested in improvisation and the like (some people avoid the word "improvisation" but what they're doing is at least <B>related</B>, I'd like to know about improvisation in all kinds of dance idioms (idiomi?) - and this is (in a nutshell) what I know so far:<P>1 - Jazz dance utilizes improvisation (for clarification on what I consider jazz dance -<A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000041.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum6/HTML/000041.html</A>)<P>2 - Some people use improvisation techniques to create material for performance in modern dance<P>3 - From what Stuart said it sounds like some people - including Forsythe - are using improvisation to create ballet<P>4 - I seem to recall a teacher telling me men used to be able to choreograph their own solos in ballet sometimes and that they were also improvised. I welcome correction on this one...<P>5 - Some Native Alaskan dance groups - Inupiaq, Yupik, and Cup'ik for sure - perform 'invitational' dances where the audience may dance and there is no set pattern of movements (though most people now do similar arms)<P>That's a start, at least - any thoughts, Criticaldancers?<P>[Edited by Azlan to fix URLs]<p>[This message has been edited by Azlan (edited October 26, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ...oh, yeah, I just made that up - it was nothing...
PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 6:00 pm 

i've never thought of myself as a 'criticaldancer' before !(although i certainly was with regard to mySELF!) <P>re this: <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>idioms (idiomi?) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>how about 'idii'?<P>sory priscilla, i'll get serious later.... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2000 5:00 pm 

this is an intersting topic for me because when i danced in a modern company we did improvisation as a company exercise . i dreaded it and was terrible at it because i didn't understand it<BR>and i don't think the director did either

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 3:57 am 

sort of only a little bit related, but here for anyone's info:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Our teaching manuals for contact Improvisation available. <BR> They are <BR> 1) This Moment - the Contact Intensive with Martin Keogh <BR> 2) The Passage - mixed ability workshop series with Catherine Chappell <P> Both books cost New Zealand Dollars $19.38 each ( includes GST, P&P) <P> Please make Cheques payable to Touch Compass Dance Trust, and send to Sue Cheesman, PO Box 36005, Northcote , Auckland. <P> Many thanks, Sue (on behalf of Touch Compass Dance Trust) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2000 4:53 am 

heaps of improv links which i just fell over (also other links..):<BR> <A HREF="http://www.tonysilvadanceandmusic.com/Pages/dance.html#Improvisation" TARGET=_blank>http://www.tonysilvadanceandmusic.com/Pages/dance.html#Improvisation</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2000 4:05 pm 

bumping this to the top, as its such an interesting topic, but not one which i am knowledgeable enough to contribute much to.....anyone else? Image

Profile E-mail