public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 28, 2014 11:17 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: russian pointes shoes?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2000 11:56 am 

does anyone know what are "russian pointes shoes"? What is the difference between these pointes and the others? I've heard that it was another technic, I don't know exactly...<P>If ever you know that...<P>And well, I'm always wondering why there are so many pointes shoes brands, how to choose the right pair with so much choice?<P>

Post subject: Re: russian pointes shoes?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2000 3:49 pm 

paquita, i hope you don't mind that i have moved this topic to THE STUDIO, where i think you will find it will get more interest....thanks for posting it! :-) grace

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 12:37 am 

Hello Paquita. I don't think there is any special Russian pointe. There are Russian shoes. There are so many shoe brands and everyone seems to argue about which is best. I like the Australian Bloch shoe. I wear Sonata because they are not too stiff or noisy, but i think it depends what shape feet you have. Maybe your teacher could help you with this question? I don't know about French pointe shoes either. HTH.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 1:20 am 

I was asking that because in a paper catalog I saw "russian pointes shoes", and there were no explanation.<P>I'm on pointes since 7 years now, and I danced since 13 years, so I've tried many differents pairs, like Repetto (i don't like them), Sansha, and now I'm wearing Gambas (G97, with a 3/4 shank), they fit me well, and I don't wanna change. <P>But apart from these 3 brands, there are lots of others like Bloch, Capezio, Freed, Gaynor Minden, Chacott,Grishko and more...<BR>

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 1:47 pm 

Grishko is the Russian shoe-apparently they're handmade with great care. For beginners, I usually recommend Blochs or Freeds, Capezio I don't prefer. Gaynor Minden are made with a composite material sole, which are "pre-arched" ie the student doesn't have to 'break in " the arch, it's already there! Strange-in my opinion, it doens't build enough strenght in the arch. Good news: they last forever, becasue the sole doesn't wear out too much!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2000 2:47 pm 

paquita and trina, grishko shoes came to australia a few years back - a friend of mine was the importer. at risk of seeming disloyal to her (she's not a close friend! Image ) these shoes have NOT been at all well received here. <P>i know of no-one who recommends them. in fact i know of several good teachers who specifically tell students 'don't buy them'. (i have never used them myself.) as to being 'handmade with great care', their ads may SAY that, but i can think of a few people who would dispute that, too! Image<P>paquita, these are the only russian brand shoes i am aware of, for sale internationally, but there may be others...<P>like everything, there will be a lot of brands if the manufacturers think they can make some money that way - it doesn't mean you should be swayed from your choice of whatever is right for YOUR foot. <P>with a lot of brands it IS confusing, but at least there is now a better chance each dancer will find what they need. there is also a better chance that each dancer will spend a lot more money (!), especially if they are enticed by slick advertising...but that's the world we live in.<P>i'd say: stick with what is working well for you.<P>btw, since i know your age from your other posts, i assume you started pointe at age ten? is that correct? is that usual at your school? is it usual at other schools you know of in france? just curious. thanks for any info! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2000 7:02 am 

thanks for your replies Image<P>Grace, yes I began pointes very early, because my teachers thought I was able to began. I really began to dance with them without the barre at 12. I've always been with people older than me in the dance lessons, and it was a good thning i must say, i was so bored in the class for the girls about my age. It was really a good chance for me, because I made lots of progresses with older dancers.<P>But it's not usual in french schools, don't worry Image<BR>