public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 10:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: :) Welcome - Please Read
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 3:35 pm 

Welcome to The Studio! Image<P>After some time in the planning, we dancers and teachers finally have our own area at CD! Let's make good use of it. <P>Please feel free to INTRODUCE YOURSELVES a little in this thread. <P>trina and i are both available to respond to any comments or queries - no doubt with a bit of crossover of topic areas, as, after all, DANCE IS DANCE and we love it all.<P>Trina is particularly qualified and interested in MODERN DANCE (see her bio in whoweare from the front page of the CD site: <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/whoweare/dmcdermott.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/whoweare/dmcdermott.html</A> <BR>and i am to be your resident BALLET 'expert' - if i DO say so myself!! Image (my bio is there too)...<P>So, thanks for being here, and let's have fun! Image<BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited April 25, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: :) Welcome - Please Read
PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2000 8:08 pm 

Grace, this is great!!! I hope to see this forum blossoming into an active little community area for dance students and professionals.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2000 5:17 pm 

Hello, everyone! I'm a 15~year~old ballet student from Long Island. I dance in the Vaganova style with a little bit of French, and I am absolutely mad about ballet and Margot Fonteyn. I look forward to interesting discussions with you all!<P>------------------<BR>~Intuviel~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2000 5:24 pm 

Hi Intuviel!<BR>I also look forward to having interesting discussions with you and everyone.<BR>I really think this site is great and wish more people would enter into the chat.<BR>Exchanging ideas is one of the best ways of learning, something we never stop doing.<BR>Best of luck with your studies.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2000 7:12 pm 

Intuviel-hi-welcome to criticaldance!!!!!...where do you study ballet? Do you want to go professional, or are you studying as a hobby? I am also fascinated that you know about Margot Fonteyn. A lot of my students of this current generation don't even know who Fred Astaire is!! It's obvious that you've read a lot about dance history....I think it's really important to know the background and context of what one is studying; it makes it a much more rich and meaningful experience.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2000 10:15 pm 

WELCOME Intuviel! Image<P>for michael and trina (and anyone else!) : Intuviel is one smart cookie...so watch out! she seems to know about EVERYTHING! (internet communication taking the abbreviated form that it does, that MIGHT come out the wrong way)... so... what i mean is, i have been exchanging views with her for several months now via email, and she continually surprises me with the depth and breadth of her knowledge. when i discovered she was only 15, i really was amazed. <P>since then, she has explained to me about her intensive ballet training with two vaganova school graduates (one russian, one french, i believe) who have their own ballet school where she lives. <P>amongst her other classes and learning activities, she is required to READ the vaganova 'bible' - the little fat one by kostrovitskaya...so this must be one serious school indeed!<P>SO pleased to see you here, Intuviel. i just KNOW we'll all have good discussions. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2000 1:22 pm 

Thanks to everyone for their *very* warm welcomes (esp. Grace Image)! This is definitely a good sign Image. <P>Grace, your info about me is very nearly perfectly correct~~my teachers, although one is Russian and one French, actually did not both graduate from the Vaganova school~~the French one is from the Paris Opera Ballet School Image. And I don't *really* know about *everything*~~somebody once had to explain to me what a "tackle" and a "field goal" were!<P>trina, I do very much want to become a professional dancer; I hope it works out Image. I dance at the South Hampton Ballet Academy on Long Island, NY. It's a very little~known school, so I wouldn't be surprised if you've never heard of it Image. As Grace says, though, it <I>is</I> quite a serious school Image! <P>Michael, it seems we have already begun a good discussion~~I look forward to its continuation Image. <P>(Goodness that's a lot of smilies! I suppose one more wouldn't hurt Image.)<P>------------------<BR>~Intuviel~<p>[This message has been edited by Intuviel (edited April 28, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2000 5:07 pm 

LOVE those smilies, Intuviel!<P>i went to high school in san francisco bay area and got some american football exposure there, so i know about tackles - but no idea what a field goal is - as you can tell, i am noboby's idea of a good ball player...(do i CARE?) Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2000 7:11 am 

Intuviel!<BR>If you ever wanted to do something you would definitely benefit from - Spend 2 weeks in Paris attending Jacqueline Fynnearts class every morning and watch companies from around the world every night.<P>You will never be the same again!<P>PS if your teacher was POBS trained, you "should" be in very good hands.<BR>Ask her about Paris.<P>Regards - Michael. X

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2000 8:50 am 

You know, Michael, I just might do that! After my family and I go to London this June, we will be going to Paris for precisely two weeks! May I ask where Jacqueline Fynnearts teaches? <P>I did not know that you were un parisien until Grace posted your URL; est~ce que vous avez l'opportunité de voir le Ballet de l'Opéra National de Paris beaucoup de temps? (I hope that made sense; I don't get many chances to practice my French Image.)<P>I would ask M. Leblanc (my teacher) about Paris, if he has the time~~both my teachers are very dignified and a bit closed about their pasts for some reason. However, mentioning Paris might be a good way to get him to open up Image. <P>------------------<BR>~Intuviel~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2000 3:58 pm 

Salut!<BR>Oui, c'etait parfaitement clair Intuviel et le reponse est - Oui!<BR>You lucky girl, sounds like a fab holiday.<BR>Jacqueline Fynneart teaches at Le Centre International Danse Jazz (formerly Paris Centre), 11:00 - 13:30 Mon - Sat.<BR>In the big studio on the 1st floor.<BR>54a rue de Clichy, 75009, Paris<BR>Tel:01 53 32 75 00. Fax: 01 53 32 77 01.<BR>Metro: Place de Clichy.<BR>80 ff per class.<P>You will have no problem attending as it is an open class,there are usually some dancers from the POB in her class every day, rubbing shoulders with grandmothers and students like you.It's not important there, everybody is just there to work (and miraculously transform their bodies).<BR>I can gaurantee you won't recognise your body after 2 weeks.<P>A bientôt - Michael. X <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2000 4:12 pm 

WOW!!! Intuviel...i have DONE floor barre and michael is right: you will be amazed! <P>fancy that you WILL be going to paris, just when he says this! how parfait! Image (synchronicity)<P>michael: how's about a new thread on barre au sol? i'll leave it to you... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2000 11:54 am 

Merci for the information, Michael, and I'm glad my French is still in working order Image. My Italian will probably not be so lucky...<P><P>------------------<BR>~Intuviel~

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2000 3:46 am 

for anyone who chances across this thread: Michael Montgomery DID start a new thread on "The Secrets of Kniaseff Barre au Sol". it's very informative, so if your interest is whetted by the above exchange, please look for that thread! thanks. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2000 7:56 am 

the kniaseff thread is at <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000016.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000016.html</A> <BR>if anyone's looking... Image

Profile E-mail