CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 4:41 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: usa
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 8:09 am 

i am from the usa, east coast to be exact. have any of you danced,taught or studied in NYC. I see a big diference in methods and can almost always tell when i'm reading a post from someone outside the US.<BR>we are flooded w/dance associations, studios,<BR>companies and it is easy for a less than <BR>mediocre teacher to be certified. It's also<BR>hard to keep advanced programs up because<BR>the best usually take off for NYC, the schools and opportunites are endless.<BR>do you have the same thing where you are?<p>[This message has been edited by j (edited October 25, 2000).]

Post subject: Re: usa
PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 9:08 am 

I am not sure that this thread belongs in this part of the board - but I will try to give you a short picture of dance here in San Diego.<P>There are several good teachers and schools here in San Diego, but instead of pooling their resources to really produce something terrific - they are all divided up into their little fiefdoms. As of now we have 6 Nutcrackers scheduled. In the past occasionally they have sort of tried to get together - but it has never last for very long.<P>We do produce some wonderful dancers here. Some chose to stay and be a bigger fish in a smaller pond - and some do leave to try - and succeed - in a bigger pond. But many then return later to teach here because it is their home - and it is a very beautiful city in which to live.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 9:17 am 

You're right, Basheva. Therefore this thread is moved to Studio.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2000 5:32 pm 

J - I want you to know that I think you ask and present some terrific questions. I find them very thoughtful and interesting.........

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 1:31 am 

j, i have seen this happen in plenty of other places.:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It's also hard to keep advanced programs up, because the best (students) usually take off for ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>it gives rise to tensions bewteen teachers too.<P>no i've never been to NYC. when i was younger i wanted to. now, appreciating nature and especially quietness in my life, even more than i did then, i think even the interest to do so has gone....<P>so you'll have to keep us filled in, OK? Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 2:09 am 

dear j - i can't email you, as your email is not public, so apologies for putting this suggestion up publicly! Image <P>if your formatting is a conscious choice, by all means keep 'doing it your way', but i just wondered if you realise that you don't need to press 'Enter', in the Reply form, to move from line to line? if you let the software do its own word wrapping, line by line, the text will then stretch to fit the board page, when you submit it.....hope this helps? Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 12:56 pm 

nope,glad for the info and i will do it the<BR>way you explained. thank you.I did include my<BR>email address in my profile.<p>[This message has been edited by j (edited October 26, 2000).]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 2:45 pm 

thanks, j - but just to explain, your email is not 'visible' in your profile (i ssume you elected to keep it not visible to the public, which is fine) - therefore it is not visible to us staff people here either, without an exhaustive search of 264 (all member) records....to check this for yourself, click on the little square with the question mark on it, just above any of your posts. <P>if you WANT to make any changes to your profile at any time, you CAN edit it, by going into preferences (i think that's how..)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2000 2:45 pm 

oops NO. you go into 'profile'. Image