CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Syllabus Outline: Concepts
PostPosted: Tue Oct 24, 2000 5:36 am 

<B>rabbit posts:</B><P>Here are some brainstorming ideas for Cognitive and Motor skills and abilities that are somehow encompassed in the dance classes one teaches, whether they are jazz, ballet, tap, Creative movement, etc. <P>These are just Examples, but may help in sequencing and mapping the content for each type/style of dance by courses or levels.<P><BR><B>PRINCIPLES OF MOVEMENT:</B><P>Level I:<BR>where joints are; right/left; inward/outward, body parts, leading, supporting, receiving, gravity<P>Level II:<BR>range of joints, balance, flexion, extension, rotation<P>Level III:<BR>abduction, adduction, circumduction, alignment, inertia<P>Level IV:<BR>centrifugal force, centripetal force, torque, breath rhythms: inhalation/exhalation<P>Level V:<BR>elevation, cantilever<P><B>LOCOMOTOR MOVEMENT:</B><P>Level I:<BR>walk, run, hop, jump, leap, skip, slide, gallop, simple two-form combinations, simple arm combinations<P>Level II: slide turns, hop (step-hop), simple polka, prance, schottische, heel-toe polka, more complex two-form combinations, three- and four form combinations, more varied arm movement<P>Level III: leap turns, skip turns, true polka, triplet runs, grapevine, waltz, tango, rhumba, samba, other more complex combinations, use of arms and upper torso<P>Level IV: jump turns, spotting for turns, beaten jumps, combination of jumps- leaps-turns, moving falls, landings-elevations<P>Level V: refined, more articulated turns; refined moving elevations: -2foot takeoff/onefoot landing; -onefoot takeoff/two foot landing; moving falls from elevations; total body coordination<P><B>AXIAL (BODY) MOVEMENTS:</B><P>Level I: push/pull, rise/fall, turn, stretch, swing, sway, twist, shake, bend, sit, kneel, crawl, roll<P>Level II: isolations of body parts, punch, strike, dodge<P>Level III: lunge, gesture, stimulus, impulse<P>Level IV: contraction, release, combination of two axial movements in diff. parts of the body; clear articulation of all body movements<P>Level V: refinement/clarity of axial movements; axial movements in combination with counter-balancing locomotor movements; multiple focus for axial movements.<P><B>SPACE</B><P>Level I:<BR>Directions: -forward, backward, sidward;<BR>Shape: -symmetry/asymmetry, -straight line,-curved line,- roundness,-circle,-figure eight,-square,-triangle<BR>Kinesphere<BR>Reach space: near, middle, far<P>Level II: Patterns: air, floor; Diagonal direction; Levels up/down; Vertical; Horizontal; General and Personal space; Directional facing; Focus; Range: small, large; Parallel; Design: negative space and positive space.<P>Level III: Design for small groups; Mass; Volume; Planes: vertical, horizontal, sagittal; Design: -parallel movement,-contrasting movement; Direct, indirect; Angular; Shap : (Laban) : -shape flow,- directional,-spokelike,-arclike,-shaping/carving<P>Level IV: Stage directions: upstage,downstage, stage right and left, center stage, stage design<P>Level V: use of performing space: traditional, non-traditional, environmental<P><B>TIME</B><P>Level I:<BR>slow/fast; gradual/sudden; short/long; soft/loud; accent; rhythmic patterns: -from children's names, from simple poems-songs, etc.<BR>meters: 2/4, 4/4<P>Level II: beat/pulse; tempo(speed); measure(meter); rhythm; phrase; duration; non-meter; pattern; rests,pauses,stillness; Locomotor patterns from rhythmic patterns; rhythmic patterns from locomotor patterns; 3/4 meter; experiments with simple percussion instruments and above elements<P>Level III<BR>Rhythm: resultant, accumulative; syncopation; acceleration; deceleration; 6/8 meter; percussion to accompany the student's own movement or that of another; Vocal sounds to accompany the student's own mov. or that of another.<P>Level IV: anacrusis; accompanying others with percussion and vocal sounds; meters: 7/4, 5/4, 1/4 etc.<P>Level V: dance accompaniment: -playing instruments,-composing accompaniment- manipulating tapes,<BR>Selection of sounds for live accompaniment; meters: 9/8, 12/8, combining meters: 2/4+3/4, etc<P>Well, these are just hypothetical levels of progression, and just some ideas as to how to figure out dosage and the contents of dance as an aid in teaching.<P>********************************************************<P><B>FORCE/ENERGY:</B><P>Level I: weak/strong, swinging/shaking, sharp/fluid, soft/hard, still/active, resting/moving.<P>Level II: abrupt, percussive, sustained, swinging, collapsing, weight effort, touch: firm/fine, Time effort: sustained/sudden(quick)<P>Level III: suspension, passivity/activity, tension/relaxation, flow effort: bound/free, projection of movement, energy of movement, space: indirect/direct.<P>Level IV: kinesthesia, dynamics, ballistics<P>Level V: dynamics of balance, vibration<P><B>FORM:</B><P>Level I: singing games, repetition, variety<P>Level II: pantomime, types of movement: unison/lead-follow/sequential, antiphonal, simple folk dance<P>Level III: simple choreographic exercises, movement theme, sequence, transition, phrase, contrast, manipulation, abstraction<P>Level IV: harmony/balance, climax, preclassical dance forms, musical forms: AB, ABA, round, rondo, canon, ground bass, theme/variation, etc.<P>Level V: random form, organic form, rhapsodic form, fugue, style (a hard topic), complementary movement.<P><B>PERFORMANCE SKILLS:</B><P>Level I: concentration while performing, learning to work cooperatively with others, follow instructions.<P>Level II: learning correct facings in relation to sight lines of audience, acquiring pose, etc.<P>Level III: learning correct focus in relation to audience, learning to appear in performing area precisely on time, etc.<P>Level IV: realizing importance of rehearsals, projecting, personal warming-up<P>Level V: acknowledging audience response, bows, facial expressions, gestures, using facial expressions while maintaining high energy level<BR>etc. etc.<P><B>CREATIVE SKILLS:</B><P>Level I: exploration, problem solving, imaging<P>Level II: exploration , problem solving, improvisation, manipulation, movement combinations<P>Level III: phrases which express: ideas, feelings, emotions; phrase variation by changing elements of time, space and energy; experiments with props/costumes<P>Level IV: short dances, abstract, literal, choreographic exercises using props/costumes, unique movement ideas, original combinations, etc.<P>Level V: longer dances of greater depth, experiments with make-up/lights, , different accompaniments for the same dance, various costumes for the same dance, stage props and settings, different spaces to dance at.<P><B>DANCE APPRECIATION:</B><P>Level I: general response to others dancing, facial expression, applause, attentiveness<P>Level II: verbal response: stress the positive, suggestions for improvement of the observed dance, attendance at dance performances<P>Level III: Reviews of professional dance companies by recognized critics, attendance to concerts conventions, competitions, events<P>Level IV: reading lists about dance related topics, discussions, etc.<P>Level V: written critique of professional performance, etc.<P><B>DANCE HERITAGE- HISTORICAL PERSPECTIVE:</B><P>Level I: singing games, artists in schools<P>Level II: simple folk dances of many nations with background information, guest artists, interviews.<P>Level III: complex folk and ethnic dances etc.<P>Level IV: folk dance related to : court dances, ballet, modern dance, tap/jazz, ethnic dance, etc.<P>Level V: contemporary trends, particular dancers/choreographers-companies, dance history, etc.<P>-----------------------------------------------------------<P><I>This post by <B>rabbit</B> is just the final part of a Syllabus Document prepared by rabbit and friends. Please see the following other threads, for the preceding sections:</I><P> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000189.html" TARGET=_blank><B><U>RE: Creating a Syllabus, Where to Begin</U></B></A><BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000194.html" TARGET=_blank><B><U>Curriculum: Affective Aspects</B></U> </A> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 24, 2000).]