public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: the art of teaching
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2000 4:05 am 

Just curious if any believe in teaching as an art as opposed to a career path? Imparting knowledge in a way that students understand and can use further is a very specialized talent and one that is often not recognized.

Post subject: Re: the art of teaching
PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2000 4:59 am 

i DO think teaching is very under-rated. i'm sure that good teaching CAN be taught, but equally sure that there are those who have natural qualities which make them suited to it, and others who don't!<P>i'm really trying here, jan, to hold off and let someone else go first Image - but it's so great to have all these interesting things coming up, i just can't stop myself! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2000 6:33 am 

I really do think that teaching (anything) is an art that is inborn. I can't ever remember not wanting to teach. The day I walked into kindergarten decided it for me. I think that the teacher certainly can learn ways and means to impart information. But, that underlying love of transmitting information to another person, comes from deep within. It is almost intuitive.<P>But, it is more than that. You not only have to love to teach - to see a light come on in another soul - but you have to love WHAT you are teaching. As a student, you just know when the teacher is bored. I feel that a class rides on the teacher's energy and enthusiasm. What could be more boring that beginning every class with plies' unless you truly love doing that? <P>The teacher also sets the tone for the class. Some teachers glory in an atmosphere of tension and stress - I think it makes them feel powerful. Teaching should be a positive transmittal of information/skill. The student has to be made confident enough to try - and perhaps fail the first several times. Those aren't really failures - per se - they are attempts to succeed.<P>I also loved the feeling of connectedness - of being part of a line of teachers. Passing it on as it was passed to me. That is a very humbling thing and a great responsibility. It was my silent prayer for the 25 yrs that I taught that I would never be the instrument that would turn someone off - from the subject (ballet) that I loved so much. Basheva

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2000 8:43 pm 

I believe that teaching is a vocation that begs to be practiced artfully.<P>I do think it can be learned & is not always innate. someone may not begin by having a passion for it but can grow to love it intensely. Some are more natural to it, some must work at it. Some seeds grow in the wild others must be planted. From each the fruit is still sweet & nourishing.<p>[This message has been edited by Rabbit (edited October 04, 2000).]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 4:06 pm 

Rabbit - I really think you are right. I might use the word "vocation" rather than "science" - but that is just a personal preference. You stated it beautifully about the value of fruit being equally wonderful no matter where it is found. <P>Sometimes the love is best that grows slowly.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 8:36 pm 

I agree with "vocation" Basheva, a far better word....(I must buy a thesaurus)...duly noted & edited..thanks

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 2:53 am 

re basheva's comment:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Those aren't really failures - per se - they are attempts to succeed.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>have you seen that sticker that says "LEARNING ZONE: Mistakes welcome here!" Image

Profile E-mail