public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:10 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Jazz & Tap Syllabi: What do you use?
PostPosted: Sat Dec 23, 2000 5:03 am 

berry - slightly off topic - but it IS 'only a saying', and i've always thought it an ODD one, since i guess i don't care too much what i'm 'seen dead' in....but alive: well, THAT's another matter!!!!!<P>getting back to the topic,,,i was hoping to see more about the ADAPT syllabi at that site, too. i don't think there's any more.<P>also, by the way, ADAP is actually a different organisation and syllabus - this one is australian (stands for australain dance assessment program, also called australian dance vision....something different altogether from the canadian ADAPT organisation). this is THEIR site, but it looks like they haven't actually published it yet - just a placeholder page:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.adv.org.au/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.adv.org.au/</A> <P>in answer to your last question, berry, i really don't know....i get the impression that, unlike ballet, any syllabi in these genres (jazz and tap) are more local to various areas or countries. <P>one exception would be the ISTD (Imperial Society of Teachers of Dancing) in london - their 'modern' syllabus is not modern or contemporary dance at all! - in fact, it's more like jazz - but a fairly old-fashioned variety. now i will be quite happy to have someone who knows better, leap in here and describe it better than that, for me and for our readers, but i did teach one level of it a couple of years ago, so i do know just a little bit about it, and that's my appraisal. nevertheless, whatever you call it - it has a lot of adherents in the UK in particular.<P>i assume they have a tap syllabus also.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2001 3:10 pm 

I teach both ISTD tap and modern. the modern is a bit old fashioned though they have recently brought a new syllabus which I have yet to learn. the tap though is excellent.<BR>tanya

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2001 8:54 pm 

RE:<BR>"also, rabbit had alerted me to a canadian syllabus, called ADAPT - the have a website. i believe she uses this one....rabbit, please correct me if i am wrong, and maybe tell us about ADAPT? "<P><BR> I'll try my best to fill in what the ADAPT site does not share. However it will have to be to a limited extent as ADAPT does not want it's syllabus published on the internet LOL.<P> So where to start.... Adapt offers a syllabus in Ballet, Jazz and Tap.<P>Ballet first:<BR>The ADAPT ballet syllabus is an adaption (no pun intended) of the Vagonova syllabus.... in short it is based on the curriculum currently taught at the Vagonova Choreographic Institute of St. Petersburg's Kirov Ballet. It is in use with ADAPT with the full knowlledge and permission of said institute. In the mid 90's Brian and Faye Foley, over the coarse of a number of trips to the institute brought back with them two teachers, Larissa Kouznetsova and Vladamir Lablakov.. it was these two teachers who developed the syllabus now used by ADAPT. The syllabus allows two years ooof prepatory or Primary training then moves to the Class 1 level and progresses to the advanced Level (8th). As with all of the Syllabi it is considered a work in progress. Examinations are offered all work in the Ballet examinations are presented by the teacher.. who is expected to choreograph the exam class and be present during the examination.. I like this approach greatly as the teachers is really held accountable in this manner for the students work and is equally under the watchful eyes of the examiners.. there are two examiners present for each exam.<P>JAZZ:<BR>The Jazz Syllabus takes the student through the following levels:<BR>Junior 1, 2, & 3<BR>Pre-Intermediate 1, 2, & 3<BR>Intermediate 1,2, & 3<BR>Pre- advanced & Advance<BR> Each level offers a Jazz Barre, Stretch, and center exercises. Exams are offered for those students who are interested, a typical exam consists of a set barre, stretch, center exercises, a section on musicality and one on vocabulary with the inclusion of unseen combinations at the Junior and pre-Intermediate levels, and adding set combinations from the Intermediate to the advanced. Students are expected to understand the Work cognatively as well as be able to demonstrate. The Tap Levels and Exam process are similar to the Jazz.<P>As I stated earlier, the ADAPT syllabi is considered a work in progress, it is re-evaluated and updated (if neccesary) every two years. A yearly summer intensive is offered for both students and Teachers separatley.. <P> Teachers are not "forced" in any way to submit students for exams, it is encouraged and I personally have found it extremely beneficial to many of my students... not all students exam, it is always their choice. As ADAPT exams are applicable to School credits in a number of Provinces in Canada (The same for RAD) students often choose to exam. Exams classes are kept small--no more than 8 steudents per class, they are fun,,yet still demanding. Prior to the exam, examiners give a workshop for all levels to be examined with the intent of helping each and every student to show their best effort. Exams are graded as follows<P><BR>Pass- pass plus-comended-highly comended and highly comended plus.<P> The environment in ADAPT exams, I expect are like all others..some with an air of fun and excitement aand ssome with a stress factor, dependant upon the personalities and approaches involved..<P>ADAPT like all other Syllabi is only as good as the teachers who offer them, some great, some not so great.<P> A syllabus to a teacher, is like technique to a dancer... it is ultimatley only a tool that we use that enables us to -teach/dance- our very best.<P>Will be happy to answer any further questions.<P>Rabbit<BR>

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2001 9:24 pm 

grace writes: rabbit's good post on Teacher Certification has been moved to start a new topic. thank you, rabbit! Image<BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000303.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000303.html</A> <p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited January 08, 2001).]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 12:18 pm 

Rabbit: this information was for me already very interesting. The syllabus takes the student through 11 levels. That seems a lot!<P>My Questions:<BR>Q1: At what age are the students starting in general with jazz?<BR>Q2: How many classes are - in general - necessary to graduate to a next level?<BR>Q3: Do the students need (or is it expected) any other technical dance training like Ballet or Modern?<P>The classical syllabus is an adaption of the Vaganova system. This system is widely taught at all Universities in the Netherlands. (the eight years programm of Kostrovitskaya) I do not need so much imagination to know what is offered in every level. When I visit the website of the ISTD and study the tap syllabus I do also see a linair (straight?) syllabus. It's logical: from easy to difficult and so on.<BR>In jazz it seems to be much more difficult.<P>My Questions:<BR>Q4: Do the ADAPT use any adaption of an known system (like the Vaganova-system in classical ballet?)<BR>Q5: Is this system also build up lineair and/or analytic/synthetic like the ballet-system?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 12:45 pm 

Perhaps it is interesting for some of you: the Mattox-Barre has the following categories:<P>category exercise <P>A)PLIÉ 1) plié in 1. and 2. pos. 2) plié in 4. pos 3) explosiv plié in 1. pos. 4) explosiv plié to 4. pos. <P>B)LEGEXERCISES <BR> 1) tendu stretch 2) retiré 3) rond de jambe <BR> 4) kicks / enveloppé <BR> 5) dégagé / fondu <BR> 6) leglifts / dévelopé <BR> 7) grand battement <BR> 8) lay out <BR> 9) arm leg isolation <P>C)isolations: HEAD<BR> 1) head roll / circle <BR> 2) head down / up <BR> tilt side to side <BR> 3) head shift to side <BR> 4) head shift in 1/2 oriental <BR> 5) head figure eight <P>D)isolations: SHOULDERS <BR> 1) both shoulders up / over <BR> 2) one shoulder up / over 3) one shoulder against the other<BR> <BR>E)isolations: RIBCAGE<BR> 1) ribcage shift front / back <BR> 2) ribcage shift side to side <BR> 3) ribcage shift square <P>F)isolations: PELVIS<BR> 1) hip position (push/shift) 2) hip position (circle bump) <BR> 3) hip shift right/l./front/b.) <P>G)STRETCHES STANDING<BR> 1) knee lift / dévelopé <BR> 2) flat back position <BR> 3) hooked position 4) lunge position 5) side stretch <P>H)STRETCHES and STRENGHTENERS<BR> 1) frog position <BR> 2) 1. position on the FLOOR 3) 2. position <BR> 4) jazz split <BR> 5) backlay <BR> 6) double V-sit <BR> 7) front lay <BR> 8) side lay <BR> 9) all fours <BR> 10) knee stand <BR> 11) crossed triangle<P>Each category / exercise has a number of sub-categories like:<P>Category A (see above)<BR>1) plié in 1. and 2. pos. <BR> flat back (table top) <BR> falls<BR> hip rotation<BR> spirale (torso twist) <BR> cross turn <BR> side stretch in plié <BR> shoulder push (contract) <BR> <BR>2) plié in 4. pos. <BR> spiraal (torso twist)<BR> ripple in 4. position <BR> back leg split > lay out cambré<BR> inverted V-pos. <BR> <BR>3) explosive plié in 1. pos.<BR> head isolatie: shift side to side<BR> down jumps<BR> jump out of plié <BR> contract in plié <BR> change between 1. and 2. pos. <BR> <BR>4) explosive plié to jazz 4. pos. front <BR> head isolation: oriental circel ½<BR> contract in 2. pos)<BR> passé > relevé <BR> > attitude parallel<P>Each sub-category has different levels:<BR>in A1: you have different spirals, different falls and so on.<BR>So actually it is quite the same as a ballet class.<BR>You can mix the exercises, build in whatever you want.<P>At least, I shouldn't forget there is a simular system for jumps and turns. <BR>All exercises have a special quality.<P>I would love to answer some questions<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2001 8:54 pm 

Response to Berry:<P>RE:<BR>My Questions:<BR>Q1: At what age are the students starting in general with jazz?<P>I am going to answer question #1 carefully.<P>The ADAPT Jr 1 Jazz usually begins at age 6/7 yrs, although I have heard some teachers claim to enter 5 yr olds.<BR> <BR>Now here is where things get sticky, I would say that the Jr 1 Jazz is more akin to a primary RAD, ie: plie, basic rise etc, all in parallel with many "preparation to" steps. So it is not a "real" Jazz class but rather a basics class that would work well with the intended age<P>Q2: How many classes are - in general - necessary to graduate to a next level?<P>Not completely sure what you are asking, so my guestimate of you question is...mmy students do 2x per week Jazz at all levels...older students study bballet as well so I do not see a need to do more Jazz classes than this...so on average students 6-10 yrs take 2 classes per week..<P>A little qualifier here:<BR>I can not speak for all ADAPT teachers, so my word is not the bible. I am sure there are some who do 1x per week & some who do more...my recomendation 2x per week up to 8 or 9 and add ballet there after.<P>I find that with the Jr & Pre-Intermediate syllabus it only takes from beginning session in Sept to Exams in March to satisfactorily finish one level. From Intermediate up 2 yrs per level. Again this is just my preferance.<P><BR>Q3: Do the students need (or is it expected) any other technical dance training like Ballet or Modern?<P>Whatever their little hearts desire.. Modern, Ballet, Hip Hop, Hiighlannd, Ukrainian & the two step, to me the more they dance the better & I do not mean just in my studio. <P>Need...Personal opinion here... ballet!! We all know the importance of that training.<P>The classical syllabus is an adaption of the Vaganova system. This system is widely taught at all Universities in the Netherlands. (the eight years programm of Kostrovitskaya) I do not need so much imagination to know what is offered in every level. When I visit the website of the ISTD and study the tap syllabus I do also see a linair (straight?) syllabus. It's logical: from easy to difficult and so on.<P>In jazz it seems to be much more difficult.<P>How do you mean, more difficult?<P>My Questions:<BR>Q4: Do the ADAPT use any adaption of an known system (like the Vaganova-system in classical ballet?)<P>The Style of the Jazz is a very Classical Jazz, It as far as I know is purely the brainchild of the Foleys. It is meant as a training tool (technical) so it is very pure and clean with a sharpness to it. If I had to label it any thinng I would say that it is a style of Jazz that a trained bballet dancer would be very comffortable with.<BR> <BR>Q5: Is this system also build up lineair and/or analytic/synthetic like the ballet-system?<P>A resounding YES, it is a very carefull syllabus, very much like the Ballet system.<P>Rabbit<P>

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2001 1:32 am 

great info, rabbit - i am enjoying learning about this from berry's questions and your responses. thank you. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2001 8:58 am 

To rabbit:<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> The ADAPT Jr 1 Jazz usually begins at age 6/7 yrs, although I have heard some teachers claim to enter 5 yr olds.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>Perhaps this question is not at the right place here: is it possible to teach jazz dance with 6/7 yrs? I still believe jazz dance before 12 years is difficult. This could start a really long discussion.<P>[QUOTE The classical syllabus is an adaption of the Vaganova system. This system is widely taught at all Universities in the Netherlands. (the eight years programm of Kostrovitskaya) I do not need so much imagination to know what is offered in every level. When I visit the website of the ISTD and study the tap syllabus I do also see a linair (straight?) syllabus. It's logical: from easy to difficult and so on. <BR>In jazz it seems to be much more difficult. <BR>How do you mean, more difficult?[/QUOTE]<P>When I look at jazz classes I mostly don’t see a system, or a technique. I see an extract. A lot of funny things (is nothing wrong with that), small combinations, exercises with no connection. These people mostly get their technique from taking classical ballet or modern classes, but not from the jazz class.<P>I think thats what “j” meant in his posting from December 23, 2000 05:39 <P>J: jazz turned out to be my thing so to speak and i found that people take me more seriously in the USA when i preface it by saying "i'm classically trained in ballet, but choose to concentrate on jazz". <P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> The Style of the Jazz is a very Classical Jazz.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P>I think the system is build up like classical?<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2001 9:53 am 

RE:<P>"Perhaps this question is not at the right place here: is it possible to teach jazz dance with 6/7 yrs? I still believe jazz dance before 12 years is difficult. This could start a really long discussion."<P>Berry.... I followed this 6/7 yrs issue by saying it is more of a basics class rather than a "real" Jazz. I agree with you that Jazz this early is difficult. At this age (Ibelieve I said the syllabus is more akin to an RAD pre-primary.)<P>RE:<BR>"When I look at jazz classes I mostly don’t see a system, or a technique. I see an extract. A lot of funny things (is nothing wrong with that), small combinations, exercises with no connection. These people mostly get their technique from taking classical ballet or modern classes, but not from the jazz class."<P>&<BR>"I think the system is build up like classical?"<P>I will answer these together.<P> I would have to say that you are most likely correct..this Jazz syllabus is built up like classical...so there is a very strong connection both throughout the syllabus at each level as well as within each class. St the Jazz student does come out with a very strong technique. As this syllabus does not ignore the fact that the Jazz dancer to needs turn out & extention.<P>Rabbit<P>