CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: "The Student Dancer": new book, worth a look!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2000 4:17 pm 

Image <P>julia buckroyd wrote some extremely insightful articles, in england, over the last few years - one i particularly remember was for the dancing times. it stirred up quite a response from defensive teachers!<P>she has just published this book, which is available from dance books online. <P>i would recommend it to dance teachers without even seeing it, such is my respect for her approach..<P> <A HREF="http://www.dancebooks.co.uk/new.shtml" TARGET=_blank>http://www.dancebooks.co.uk/new.shtml</A> <P>"In 'The Student Dancer' Julia Buckroyd brings together the fields of education, welfare, counselling and psychology in relation to dance teaching and training. <P>She considers the way these can deepen our<BR>understanding of the human dimension of<BR>dance training, and how they can be<BR> practically applied in vocational training<BR> schools.<P>Buckroyd argues that current dance training<BR> is damaging to the welfare of students and<BR>needs to change, she also gives examples of<BR>good practice, and many ideas, arguments<BR> and proposals.<P> A much-needed book and esssential reading<BR> for teachers, students and administrators<BR> involved in professional dance training as<BR>well as other performance disiplines."<P>[This message has been edited by grace (edited June 20, 2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited June 21, 2000).]

Post subject: Re: "The Student Dancer": new book, worth a look!
PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2000 5:14 am 

I haven't seen this book, but I have friends who are dance teachers who have mentioned the author to me. She seems to be quite provocative, which is probably a good thing for ballet training. Should this book be in your Top Twenty Books? I can't think that I've seen another bok quite like it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2000 6:18 am 

you may be onto something there, angelica. good suggestion! Image<P>personally i wouldn't add a book to trina's list without seeing it, but i'm quite sure this book will be special.<P>i must order a copy.<P>there is one dance psychology book that's been around fora couple of years, but i wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.<P>so, you're probably right, i can't think of another book that actually addresses the issues in approaches to dance training, as this one claims to. -can't wait to see it!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2000 3:25 pm 

now available from dance horizons also:<P>This book is 243 pages, paperbound and $24.95.<P>Place your order today.<BR>Princeton Book Company<BR>609-426-0602<BR>pbc@dancehorizons.com<P> Image<BR>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2000 4:23 am 

has anyone seen this book yet?<P>i notice gavin roebuck in 'dance expressions' magazine really dumped on it - he didn't take to the author's approach at all!<P>that disappointed me, but didn't put me off - he seemed to be contending that he really doesn't think there are many overly skinny dancers anymore, therefore that one of the book's main thrusts was a bit outdated...<P>gavin, are you out there? (he emails me, but hasn't posted yet... Image )

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2000 11:34 pm 

I was asked to review this book for the monthly magazine Dance Expression which also has a website <A HREF="http://www.dance-expression.co.uk." TARGET=_blank>www.dance-expression.co.uk.</A> <BR><p>[This message has been edited by Gavin (edited March 07, 2001).]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 5:06 am 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>The author admits to having no personal experience of either learning or teaching dance.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>julia buckroyd is, i believe, a clinical psychologist, and when i was in london she was the student advisor at london school of contemporary dance. in that capacity she wrote some excellent articles which did -appropriately- stir up controversy among dance teachers. my understanding is that she is not writing directly ABOUT learning dance or about teaching dance, so much as about the psychological effects created within both situations - surely this is a valid area for someone with her training to observe (as she did, closely, for years) and then to report on?<P>of course, it's rotten to have to comment here, without having yet seen the darn book! Image<P>thanks for giving us your thoughts, gavin. was the body shape/size/weight issue the whole focus of the book, or just one part, or what?

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 5:45 am 

.<p>[This message has been edited by Gavin (edited March 07, 2001).]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 6:23 am 

i don't reject your view, gavin - i reject the assertion that she may be unsuited to comment on these issues, because she is not a teacher or a dance student, which is what you seemed to be saying.....did i get that wrong?<P>as to the 'other can of worms' - it IS, indeed......<P>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 10:46 am 

Buckroyd's book is an essential text on the next module of my work - beginning end of October. <P>Grace when I have read it thoroughly - not just a skim. I will let you know what I think.<P>Gavin I was told someone had reviewed the book in Dance Expressions. When I was in the UK a couple of weeks ago I unsuccessfully 'searched ' for the review. PLease if you are able e - mail it to me at Tip_toes@hotmail.com <BR>

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 4:55 pm 

i have gavin's review right here, but it is very brief, tip-toes, not much more than what he has written above. however, later i will type it out here for you, and post it. i guess that's why i was keen to get him to offer a bit more information... since you have the book, i take it - how much of it is about weight issues? what other issues are addressed?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 7:46 am 

My review was brief for reasons of space.The author does not restrain from airing her opinions on other issues.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 8:08 am 

gavin, if you aren't happy to see your words here, please let me know, as i realise they really belong to the magazine and you:<P><B>Book Review by Gavin Roebuck</B><BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Reading controversial headlines in some national newspapers, the many dance teachers who read DANCE EXPRESSION might be tempted to add this book to their library out of curiosity if nothing else. Save your money!<P>.......Ms. Buckroyd, the Director of Studies for Counselling at the University of Herfordshire, demonstrates a lack of basic understanding about dance combined with a marked lack of academic rigour and scientific study to support her, at times, absurd opinions. <P>This summer, I attended numerous school shows, from local dancing schools to fulltime colleges, and must have seen well over 1000 young performers. Not one of those I saw seemed to be significantly underweight yet Ms. Buckroyd claims the dance world requires adolescent girls to maintain a weight up to 25% below the norm.<P>Over the years I have taught in many schools and colleges and adjudicated dance events. I have not seen many girls clinically underweight, nor have there been problems with large numbers of dancers in the companies I have worked with. According to most studies the main eating disorder among adolescents is overeating. - - -<P> - - - -<P>To be a professioanl dancer requires a certain physique and dedication - just as being a professional athlete. The professional dance world is also extremely competitive. - - -I am afraid the expression "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the *******" springs to mind. Most professional teachers, companies and schools have support systems in place to help people with emotional stress. Not everyone who wants to be a dancer can be one; perhaps Ms. Buckroyd should write a book for them.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>(c) Gavin Buckroyd, London, 2000<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 05, 2000).]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 8:54 am 

Not 2.5% no real problem with that but 25%...quite a difference.<P><BR>The copyright of this review is mine and not that of Dance Expression magazine.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Gavin (edited May 19, 2001).]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2000 9:11 am 

have just found this related link also:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4034831,00.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/Print/0,3858,4034831,00.html</A> <P>gavin - sorry about the typo - will go back up and correct it, in case others don't read the whole thread.