public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can you help me - "Swan Lake" music?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:35 pm 

hi all, my girl is a dancer, she's got to dance a little piece of swan lake in her show for her dance school, she has seen the ballet in a vhs but it's not the full ballet vhs, it's only a vhs with many examples taken from different ballets and there are not many details for the one she chosen, she says the vhs sounds bad so she asked me to help her to find the right song or part of the ballet in some way, she's trying hard for this and i've searched a lot but couldn't find the right one.
her teacher said that the version she is searching may be "slower" than the ones we could find because it's arranged for ballet instead than orchestra (well, she said something similar)
the part she has to dance is the one of odile dancing alone (i dont know other details about this) but i know the song so i found that the piece she has to dance is the variation v of pas de six in act III but she says that in the video that part is longer than in the song we've found
i've not found any other version of that song and there are so many versions of the full ballet. dont know how to find out what's the right music, i'm not in dancing after all, can anyone here help me please? i've searched for days..

<small>[ 22 February 2005, 11:59 AM: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

Post subject: Re: Can you help me - "Swan Lake" music?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 9:45 pm 

Hi, Drorian -- can you supply the details of the video your daughter has seen, e.g., the title and/or a list of some of the selections? Maybe someone here has seen it and can direct you to a recording. If she doesn't know the title, maybe someone can tell which video it is from the contents.

<small>[ 20 February 2005, 10:47 PM: Message edited by: djb ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 8:49 am 

weel, she said me it's a vhs of the ballet from the opera bastille danced by marie claude pietragalla and patrick dupont.

<small>[ 22 February 2005, 10:19 AM: Message edited by: Drorian ]</small>

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:20 am 

I am moving this down to the "The Studio" Forum where other parents and teachers should be able to help you!

Kate

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 10:58 am 

Our Parisian colleagues can confirm, but this sounds like the Paris Opera Ballet video - bet that's a stunner.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:26 pm 

If you check this website:
http://www.bmgclassics.com/albums/product.jsp?id=74321188112
this recording has some samples of the music from the pas de six (a section not usually performed in most Swan Lakes, but people often interpolate the music from the variations in other places.

I think the one you're thinking of (variation 5) is commonly used in the Bolshoi Swan Lake for an alternative variation for Odile. I seem to remember seeing Galina Mezentseva and Maya Plisetskaya tapes where they danced a variation to that version of the music.

Profile E-mail