public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:53 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: buying pointe shoes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 11:21 am 

There are two stores within 2 hours of my house that sell pointe shoes. The one that I always used to buy mine at just went out of bussiness. The other store won't sell me the pointe shoes I want because I'm not a professional. I have VERY strong feet that aren't very flexible. I like freeds and Grishko Elite's with the softest shank. The store won't even let my try on either of these shoes or any other soft shanked shoes because "soft shank shoes are made for professionals only". I took my teacher with me but, they still refused to sell me soft shank shoes. I desprately needed a new pair of pointe shoes so I bought bloch aspirations which were the best of the ones they let me choose from. However, I hate them and can't even do a simple releve. What can I do to get the pointe shoes I want? I'd hate to order them from a catolouge or on the internet but I don't think I have much choice. What catolouges or internet sites have the best return policy? Any other ideas on how to get the store to sell me the shoes I want?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: buying pointe shoes
PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 11:34 am 

I find this very odd, that they wouldn't sell you the shoes, even when you brought your teacher! The only reason that comes to mind, is that they may have had some legal problems in the past. ie. people buying the shoes, and then having an injury associated with the shoes and then coming back and blaming the store. I know of no other reason that they would stock the shoes, and the not sell them! <BR>By the way, Dancer13, is this your first pair of pointe shoes? I'm just curious, how old are you? Since my students (I'm a ballet and modern teacher myself) are always eager to go on pointe, I like to have examples to give them, of "ages" of when dancers typically go on pointe! Thanks, and thanks for your question!!<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited February 11, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 11:35 am 

Grishko's are a Russian made shoe, handmade, very well-crafted. And expensive! I dont' know if this helps with your question.<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited February 11, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 11:50 am 

Trina, I'm almost 15 and went on pointe a month after I turned 12. I talked to my doctor and made sure my bones were ossified (I can't spell) and he wrote a note for my teacher saying I could go on pointe. The bloch aspirations are the 10th pair of pointe shoes I bought (I go through them really fast since I use soft shanks). After about a year on pointe I developed tendonitis due to the tendon in my ankle displacing itself so, I didn't do pointe for about a year. So right now I'm pretty much a begginer on pointe again. I'm having to work very slowly on pointe. Sorry about going off on that tangent. So, to answer your question The blochs are my tenth pair of shoes. My first pair were gamba's which I hated. Then capizio infanita's which worked okay. My third pair were the softest shank grishko elites, which I loved. And then Freeds which I also loved. Until now I've been switching between Grishko's and Freeds.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 5:16 pm 

I must say I agree with Trina - I have never heard of a store refusing to sell you the shoes even with your teacher there. This means that a clerk is making a decision over a teacher. Is there another city anywhere near you? Perhaps you might have to go and but several pairs at once.<P>Where did you get the previous shoes? at the same stores?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2001 7:40 pm 

Basheva, I used to get my pointe shoes at a dance store near me that just went out of bussiness. The store that won't sell me soft shank pointe shoes is the only one in the area. The next closest is about 3 hours away.

Profile E-mail