public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: competitive ballet???
PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 1:07 am 

Some competitions and festivals have a nice atmosphere and give a performance opportunity which is important for those learning to dance and especially for those who attend schools which do not have their own school show.<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Gavin (edited October 07, 2000).]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2000 5:52 pm 

thanks gavin - DO hope someone is going to take stuart to a day at a competition, preferably the under 8's tap or song & dance section..... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 10:27 am 

While it is true that dance students need to have opportunities to perform, I don't believe that the competition is the modality of choice. There are other ways to do that. Nursing homes, residential care centers for the elderly as well as children, hospitals of all types, often welcome groups to come in and perform. <P>I had a list of nursing homes, care centers for the retarded, senior recreation centers, drug rehab, etc., to which I would take my students on a regular basis. The many advantages outweighed the few disadvantages in this type of performing environment. My students loved it and certainly the audience was very appreciative. In this way they got quite a bit of performing experience, without added cost, without the stress of "winning or losing" - and became a support group for one another rather than seeing other dancers as the opposition. Also took care of complaints about unfair judging etc. It also improved the atmosphere in the corridors of the studio, among the parents. Basheva

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 1:35 pm 

thanks basheva - i've been wondering whether this is viable in my situation - it should be because this town is sort of a retirement community - as well as being a holiday destination....so there are plenty of senior citizens facilities.....i'm going to give this more thought for the coming year.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 1:58 pm 

There are as I alluded to above, some pitfalls to performing at venues outside of a theater. (If you are interested in more detailed information about that, let me know.) But, even this I found was a good experience for my students. I also forgot to mention we danced at fairs, and even shopping malls as part of dance celebrations or holidays. Basheva

Profile E-mail