CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: What are the attitudes of dance in Universities??
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:09 pm 

I'm at Coventry University and I'm loving it. As far as i'm aware it's a well respected establishment. The class's consist mainly of release based and ballet. The written work also consists of about half the course. Now I have come across some attitudes that you will get no-where coming from a University dance based training. Only on the sole basis that it's not internationally known or even because I can't get my leg to my ear. Obviously I don't agree :D .Sorry had to add that in. The way I see it, if you have the presence, if you can make people watch you, then you can make it. Not many people have that thing!! It doesn't come through training I personally think it's built inside you. Has anyone else come across some attitudes or am I meeting all the bad people :confused:

Post subject: Re: What are the attitudes of dance in Universities??
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 12:42 pm 

Judski said:

Quote:
Now I have come across some attitudes that you will get no-where coming from a University dance based training.
It depends on where you want to get and what kind of dance you are into. If you want to get into a top ranked ballet company, probably you won't get there through university training.

So, it seems to me it depends upon your goals, the type of dance you wish to pursue, how much you put into it and what kind and level of training the university provides.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2002 9:23 pm 

Dance companies hire based on what you can do for them today. That comes only through practice; book learning adds very little to your ability to execute dance in real time. University dance programs consist of part book learning and part practical experience. So if you spend 4 years in a University dance program, you will have made less practical progress, as a dancer, than if you had spent those same four years as apprentice and corps member in a ballet company.

On the other hand, University EDUCATION offers a lot that dance TRAINING does not. It opens doors that are closed to those without it, such as teaching. It gives you valuable background. And people get hired from University programs all the time, they're just a few years older (and wiser) than comparable dancers who did not go to college.

So there's no need to second-guess your choices You're apparently getting a lot out of your education and you like it!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2002 5:18 pm 

Is this a discussion best suited for The Studio?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 11:33 am 

It also depends on the university whether there is a lot of "book learnin" or not.
I've seen programs where a good half of the curriculum is theory, history, and other lecture courses. But ours here at OU is overwhelmingly taken in the studio with stage production courses (like makeup and costumes) thrown into the mix... only 9 hours of the 70 major requirement hours are spent in lecture.

From what I've seen, though, OU dance performance students spend more time dancing than just about any other university in the US.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 1:20 pm 

Remember gaeadea that this is an international board. Am i right in thinking that OU is Oklahoma University? Here in the UK OU is Open University.

Hoping that it is alright with everyone I will move this topic to The Studio.

<small>[ 10-21-2002, 02:15: Message edited by: Stuart Sweeney ]</small>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2002 6:13 pm 

Yes, I'm glad we moved this to studio.

<small>[ 10-20-2002, 20:14: Message edited by: trina ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:42 pm 

Oh, i'm sorry. i'm speaking of the University of Oklahoma. I should probably define the abbreviation anyway, because when i mention "OU" to half the people i know from the USA i have to tell them what it is. :) ... "you know, the former football national champions..."

I've talked about it a lot recently, so i keep forgetting where i've named it and where i havent. :)

<small>[ 10-21-2002, 17:43: Message edited by: gaeadea ]</small>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:59 pm 

Judski, it's great that you are enjoying your time at Uni. in the UK, studying theory and practise of dance. Tell us what your aspirations when you leave and then people will have a slightly better idea how to respond.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 10:18 pm 

I'm wondering something about OU as described: if the program they provide is almost entirely practical, why would one want to pay tuition for it, rather than apprentice with a professional dance company and be paid a token sum for a similar kind of experience?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:18 pm 

Thats a very good question. :)I'm not really sure...

Well, i think the biggest reason would be the BFA degree... youd have more options with a college degree if you decided not to dance professionally than with no education at all.
I think also that if a dancer isnt up to professional quality as yet, a structured academic setting would be a good way for some students to gain the confidence and maturity they need.

Beyond that, im not really sure what any other advantages would be other than they didnt make any of the apprenticeships they wanted and decided to try again after 4 more years of training.
I know several girls who left our program to dance in professional companies... and they probably couldnt have gotten there without that training at college.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 5:27 pm 

And that goes back to what you want out of dance.

I have a college degree in dance. I no longer dance but it has been instrumental in getting me where I am today.

From an outside perspective, a dancer apprenticed with a ballet company is only going to dance and will not get any education in the liberal arts. And if you want to be in a modern dance company they will mostly insist on a college degree, because you have more to offer them in the areas of emotional depth and pure living experience. And very few modern companies have a well developed apprentice program like most ballet companies have.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 10:34 pm 

From my research, I have found that all of the major Modern Dance companies today are hiring ballet trained dancers.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:35 pm 

Does that mean they don't hire out of the Universities?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 4:39 pm 

But not necessarily dancers who were in major ballet companies and never went to college.

If you want a dance career you are going to have to put in your dues in ballet classes, but you don't have to be a ballerina first to be a modern dancer. I have many friends from college who went directly into major modern companies and were told they were hired because they had a degree from a well respected college dance program.

But once again, it depends on what company, what kind of dance, who the director is, what places in their company they are trying to fill, and everything else. There is no one way to dance professionally.