CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hartfel Ballet Academy/Cradle Method
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 10:59 pm 

Just wondering if anyone here has heard of the Hartfel Ballet Academy, or the Cradle Method, or knows anything about them. Ran across the <A HREF="http://www.hartfel.com" TARGET=_blank>website</A> and I'd never heard of either before, so I thought I'd ask. Image<BR>Summer

Post subject: Re: Hartfel Ballet Academy/Cradle Method
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2000 11:07 pm 

Hmm, haven't heard of them. It looks like they've been around for about a year or so. I like this quote from their intro page: "...a school for those who have a passion for ballet."

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2000 7:13 am 

Hello Summer - welcome - I just looked at the site that you posted. That school is about 90 miles away from me and I was just past there last weekend on my way to the Orange County Performing Arts Theater.<P>I have to say I have never heard of the academy or the teacher who is starting it. I carefully read his references and his background, but it is hard to tell without seeing his classes exactly what is verifyable. <P>I have taken classes from some teachers with splendid resumes' and found them to be less than great as teachers. On the other hand I have also taken classes from people who really didn't have the shining background - but were terrific teachers. It's so hard to tell. It would be interesting to visit his school and observe these classes. I have learned to be very skeptical - but at the same time always hopeful!!<P>By the way, Summer - you have a GREAT homepage!!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2000 11:16 am 

I like that quote too. Image I was looking for ballet schools on yahoo, and that quote's in their description, and it's what made me click on them. Image If I end up moving to California after all, maybe I'll try a class and see if I like them or not.<BR>Thanks, Basheva, about my web page. Image I try hard! Image

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2000 5:50 pm 

hmm - well, that's all a bit vague and 'woolly', isn't it?<P>sounds well-intentioned - but good intentions aren't enough....i notice they have the facility there for you to forward direct requests for information. if you do so, summer, it would be interesting for us to learn more, i'm sure....<P>no pictures. no clear resumé. only 2 referees, neither of whom i'm in any position to evaluate the opinions of. no real explanation of what this 'method' is....<P>e.g. saying something like 'all classes are instructional' doesn't really say anything....<P>as basheva says, my view is to be hopeful always, but also cautiously sceptical...