public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Aug 19, 2014 10:51 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: low on encouragement?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2000 5:26 pm 

hi everyone;<BR>I'm a student at a balelt school, and I've been having problems with performing to my full extent. I am the youngest in the class at 15,(and I always get told that) and I seem to always be making mistakes. I've been told by my teacher that I am slower than the rest of the class and at one stage she even asked my mom if I'm a slow child at home or school.<BR>I can't seem to enjoy dancing much lately, and instead it's just become a big stress. I try hard to remember all the dances but when I dance I'm always worried of being yelled at, and can't concentrate on performing. <BR>I get yelled at every day and I think even my peers are getting sick of it. I seems to me like when I make a mistake my teacher gets so much more disappointed and depressed than when others stuff up. (she's usually quite light hearted about the others)<BR>If you have any ideas or thoughts on this prob, write a reply please!

Post subject: Re: low on encouragement?
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2000 5:36 pm 

oh dear, purple! <P>one thing i will say is that when we are worried or anxious, part of our brain is consumed with THAT, so learning IS slower and harder......<P>that's one of the reasons why it's important for teachers to create an encvironment for learning in which people are comfortable ('comfortable' in so many ways....)<P>personally, i don't think yelling is ever necessary or advisable - unless raising one's voice to get 'over top of' the music in a rehearsal, say, IF absolutely necessary....<P>do you really mean 'yelling'? or just speaking sternly? or firmly? or in a frustrated tone? see if you can be really objective in describing to us what is happening. IF it is REALLY yelling, then *I* would be questioning whether i wanted to be in that class...but that's just me. i don't like anger. it doesn't bring out the best in me.<P>just curious, how many hours a week are ytou dancing? i.e. how intense is your training?<P>forgive me, now: i just HAVE to have breakfast! more later! chin up! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2000 3:23 am 

weeell,<BR>I usually do about 7hrs a week, so it's not that much, but we've been having rehearsals for our show so basically I'm there alot. (yesterday my class was dancing 11.30am until 8.30pm. Today was 5 hrs)<BR>And as for the yelling, well she does quite frequently, and sometimes she speaks in this real disappointed sort of tone, which ends up angry. <BR>My teacher is the principal and she MUST be really exhausted too, I try to do my best, but I just seem to worry alot about doing something wrong.<BR>Is there a way to fix this? I'm thinking of going elsewhere to do ballet, but I haven't found anywhere yet. I'm not good enough yet to get into major schools or anything!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2000 3:47 am 

Hi Purple!<P>For tidiness I've deleted your most recent post which had no text, because I think that's what you wanted to do.<P>The teachers here will take up your points. But I do sympathise with the stress you are under. We have a saying in the UK which may be appropriate, 'Don't let the ******** grind you down!' Choose your own word for the asterisks.<P>Very best wishes.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2000 7:59 am 

Purple - there is never any reason for a teacher to yell at a student. We don't learn or make progress when we are in that kind of environment. <P>I would advise you to find a teacher who will teach with care and thought - that takes more effort from the teacher than yelling. Of course, we all have bad days - but if this is a constant pattern then you need to change it. What do your parents think? <P>It doesn't matter "how good you are" - your efforts deserve the patience of the teacher. That's what being a teacher is all about. Knowing how to communicate in a way that will help the student - and yelling or denigrating isn't it. <P>Every student in class deserves the teacher's time - not just the "good ones". We are all good and deserving as long as we try and it seems to me from your posts that you do care and you are trying.<P>I wish you a lot of luck, Purple - and I hope you will keep us all up to date what is happening to you. People here at this board do care.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2000 9:52 am 

Purple---chin up. My philosophy as a teacher(everyone is different) is to create a positive, encouraging atmosphere in class. I hope I succeed, although, teachers, like everyone else, are human and have their "bad days". Does your teacher really "yell" (raise her voice) or merely give corrections? Is there another teacher there at that same school you can "try out" and see how it goes?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2000 4:12 pm 

yes trina - that's what i was getting at - i heard one student once say that i 'yelled' at her - which i never do! <P>when she realised i heard, and i actually queried that comment, she laughed and said something to the effect that it felt like yelling, or something like that....what she was referring to was speaking firmly, maybe even 'demandingly', in terms of exhorting for more effort, in whatever it was - holding the leg, or whatever - but the voice was never even raised. <P>this was in a teeny tiny studio at my house, which echoes dreadfully: yelling would be very much out of the question!<P>the student was talking about feeling pushed, feeling something demanded of her - not actually about the level of my voice at all, but she quite happily, laughing all the time, called it 'yelling'....<P>teenagers! Image<P>dear purple - i assume from your answer that you really DO mean 'yelling'? it also sounds like a pressured time at your school - quite likely the leadup to your end-of-year concert? things often get a bit out of hand, stress-wise, for everyone at that time, and i'm sure you'd like to finish out the year at your school, but maybe you should quietly try out a trial class, at one or two other schools, before the end of the year, just so you have something to compare with?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 12:02 am 

Boy tell me about stress - I am 10 days off my show and have had petty winging from parents up to here - from everything from the price of a pair of socks to why can't my husband help in the dressing rooms? - pretty obvious i would have thought.<P>Anyway the above is not just ramblings of a demented, stressed out dance teacher (well it is but is has a point too). Pre-Show days are extremely stressful for all concerned and most of all the Principal. If she is anything like me she will be trying to organise costumes, tickets, tights and socks, helpers for the dressing rooms and do the 101 other things involved in the daily running of things. It is the most stressful time i have ever encountered - but it is worth it as all the kids are getting so excited.<P>Your teacher is probably stressed but she perhaps shouldn't be yelling at you all the time. Yelling is difficult - you sometimes have to raise your voice when you have chattering excited class in front of you and if a class is below par then a few stern words to get them back on track is sometimes needed - but not yelling. the only time i do anything like yell is in fun - and the students just look at me and think "Miss is stressing again". Think carefully as to whether it is yelling or not. If it is and it seems directed at you all the time then you may have to think carefully about whether this is the class for you.<P>Some teachers unfortunately have no tact and are very selfish only wanting to bother with the best natural dancers. I have a special needs pupil who takes tap & jazz with me and she struggles but she tries hard - she will never do grade exams unless her condition improves but she enjoys the class so what does it matter. She goes to a "stage school" to do Drama and has also tried to join the tap class there for extra practice but was told by the teacher that she couldn't join because she was no good and would never be any good at it.<P>THAT KIND OF THING MAKES ME SO ANGRY!! and yes I am yelling.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 12:58 am 

.<p>[This message has been edited by Gavin (edited March 07, 2001).]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 2:25 am 

joanne - i sympathise! this thread is covering a lot of territory, isn't it?!<P>just checked out your website - very nice - straightforward, friendly, organised. i like your descriptions of different dance styles to help people choose what to enrol for....don't mean to send this thread off somewhere else, so i better stop, but hope it all goes well for you - it IS extremely demanding, isn't it, organising the school concert? there are so very many things to think of - and no-one except you, knows HOW many! good luck.<P>purple - we look forward to hearing your thoughts after all this quizzing and advice! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2000 12:59 pm 

What gavin says is right - i have had young pupils who have refused to join in for weeks, but have watched the class intently and then one week they suddenly join in and can do everything - they obvioulsy joined in when they were ready.<P>Thanks for your comment about the website grace.

Profile E-mail