public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: American Ballet Theatre's School
PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2001 5:29 pm 

Laura Leivick makes a case for Ballet Theatre School:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Drilling Summer Students in the A B C's of the A.B.T.<P>Laura Leivick, NY Times<P>... a summer program at Ballet Theater established only six years ago by Kevin McKenzie, the company's artistic director, is already competing with S.A.B. for students. Mr. McKenzie, who was trained in Washington and became a principal dancer with Ballet Theater, can certainly see a value in the company's longstanding practice of drawing trained dancers from the wide world. The New York Philharmonic, after all, doesn't run its own conservatory.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/05/arts/dance/05LEIV.html?searchpv=nytToday target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: American Ballet Theatre's School
PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:10 am 

I think it's great that this program is encouraging students to continue their training at home and finish high school, and that they have satellite programs outside of New York for the summer. They can reach more students that way.<P>Interesting, too, that Mc Kenzie sees it as a possible strength of the company that ABT does NOT have its own academy, as does NYCB with SAB. He sees it as enriching that dancers come from all over.<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 9:42 am 

I am so glad you posted that article - I also thought it was very interesting that Kevin MacKenzie made that point about the students remaining at home...and the advantages of diverstiy in good ballet training. <P>As it happens, we are going to check out the ABT end of summer performance on Wednesday down in Tribeca - it should be good.<P>It was nice to have two such good articles in the same issue - (ABT and CPYB).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 9:57 am 

Ryebred, I envy you that you will be going to see the ABT school performance! Would you consider sharing your impressions with us in the Ballet Forum? Enjoy!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 10:30 am 

I was very surprised when the school was disbanded in the 80's. Isn't ABT the only major company that doesn't have a school?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:44 pm 

Sure, Nancy, I'll be happy to share my impressions. I am going for several reasons: want to check it out as a possibility for my daughter in the future, and I think it will be worth watching too.<P>Good point, Basheva about the other ballet companies and their schools...seems as though in this country most do have schools affiliated with them.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2001 5:51 pm 

And, I believe, Ryebred, abroad too. Can anyone think of a major company, and many not so major, that doesn't have a school?<P>Ryebred, I would be delighted to read of your impressions.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2001 9:07 am 

I've been thinking about this, Basheva. I guess most companies do have affiliated schools. <P>Yet when ABT had theirs, I think the classes were more open classes. It wasn't the same kind of training ground as SAB. ABT did have a small scholarship program, or a closed track for talented children. I know of at least one dancer who got into the company after training in that program.<P>Even though most companies do have schools, there seems to be a more open atmosphere now in that dancers from outside a given company's school may be accepted into the company. It's global now.<P>Also, at SAB, many students train elsewhere and then come to the SAB summer program, with hopes of being asked to stay on at SAB to complete their training, and maybe be asked to join NYCB. It's not as if they have had a complete academy training at SAB, the way you think of the Russian or French or Danish schools.<P>I don't know what the situation is at other company schools. Were most of the dancers in San Francisco Ballet, for example, trained at the SFB School?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:20 pm 

well, one of the reasons i would like to study in the singapore ballet academy, which is affiliated to the singapore dance theatre, is that you start getting chances to perform in productions when you're about 14 (in bit roles, but, hey, it's still performing). <BR>i think some of the dancers in the singapore dance theatre are foreigners and were spotted by someone in the SDT and invited to join. bearing that in mind, if someone would want to join the singapore dance theatre, the best school to join would be the SBA, because not only would you have the best training (since the standard would be somewhat around that of the SDT's), you would have more experience, and also might be spotted.<BR>i'm not entirely sure of some of the details here but i just wanted to express my views. sorry if this is totally out of context.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2001 5:23 pm 

It's not out of context at all, Pearl...it's a very good point.<P>If a school is affiliated with a company the students at the school might very well get some performance opportunities. Many of the major companies do that - Bolshoi, Kirov, Danish Royal Ballet, etc.<P>It's a very good point.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2001 9:11 pm 

A review, quite stunning:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ballets With Fresh Twists and Fresh Faces<P>JENNIFER DUNNING, NY Times<P>American Ballet Theater New York Summer Intensive 2001," presented on Wednesday night at the Tribeca Performing Arts Center, was a little too much of a good thing.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.nytimes.com/2001/08/15/arts/dance/15ABT.html target=_blank>More</a>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2001 1:23 pm 

Elizabeth Zimmer with the Village Voice is impressed:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Down at the Tribeca Performing Arts Center, 240 young ballet dancers displayed their recently honed chops August 8 at the culminating performance of American Ballet Theatre's Summer Intensive program.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><a href=http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0133/zimmer.php target=_blank>More</a> near the very bottom of the linked article.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 9:59 am 

The ABT School, now named in honor of Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis, has hired Franco De Vita from Boston Ballet School to be its principal. A brief announcement in Playbill:

http://www.playbillarts.com/news/article/1694.html

Profile E-mail