CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: You are Hosting a Barre
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 4:33 pm 

As either a teacher or a student, or knowledgeable parent, you are designing, in your opinion, the most efficacious barre. <P> Putting aside syllabus, either Cecchetti or RAD, - in what order and perhaps why in that order - would the work occur?

Post subject: Re: You are Hosting a Barre
PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2000 7:57 pm 

oh, boy! this thread will run forever!<P>where do i begin?!?<P>well, i guess that's just precisely the question, isn't it! Image<P>will enjoy diving into this, when i come back to the computer later today...meanwhile, don't be shy!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 8:38 am 

Ballet class: Three Basics class <P><B>grace</B> writes: rabbit's barre has been moved into it's own thread, because it warrants its own space for discussion. please look for "Ballet Barre: Fouetté Theme" to read it in full. thank you, and thanks rabbit! Image<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 18, 2000).]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 10:18 am 

Wow Rabbit!! That is a well thought out barre format. I would think that the theme of your barre is fouette' - and a good preparation for fouette in the center it would be!! Was there somewhere in your barre, perhaps I just missed it, that you have your students do rond de jamb en l'air starting from devant (whole foot) and doing a releve' as the leg cirlces to second and then coming in to retire', much as it would in a fouette' in the center?<P>I used to love to choreograph barre work with a theme - like for glissades. The barre can certainly be as choreographed as the center and I used to LOVE to do it. Doing the same barre day after day for me - either as a student or a teacher - would drive me to tears of boredom. <P>I also noticed that if students do the same barre all the time they get very good at that particular barre - but then as soon as they are given something slightly different they really have difficulty. So, I used to like to really mix it up - not the order of the components of the barre - but the work itself. <p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 18, 2000).]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 11:35 am 

RE> <BR>"Was there somewhere in your barre, perhaps I just missed it, that you have your students do rond de jamb en l'air starting from devant (whole foot) and doing a releve' as the leg cirlces to second and then coming in to retire', much as it would in a fouette' in the center?"<P>Yes Basheva, it is in exercise #7 Demi Rond & Fouette; exercise for fouette is just what you described. Here I think I am being very clear & find that I could have done better :-).<P>Would be very interested in seeing your themed Barre for Glissade. I have a lot of my Barres on floppy, would be happy to exchange exercises, either via this thread of by E-mail - don't want to clutter things up here for everyone else.<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 18, 2000).]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 1:30 pm 

Rabbit - the fault is mine - I have a bad fluish headache today! - so my eyes are sorta crossing - ha ha. I think I will wait till this headache goes away and then I would love to tell you about a barre with glissades. I don't have my barres recorded in any way - just sorta in my head. <P>It is a pleasure to see a teacher, such as you, who puts so much care and thought in barre work. So many just feel that it is just a basic warm-up - but I can see that you take it for much more - as I do. It is an integral part of class. My old Russian teacher said that the barre must also be danced.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 4:36 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It is a pleasure to see a teacher, such as you, who puts so much care and thought in barre work. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>i agree with this!<P>can i suggest that ramona's approach, which is so generous and informative, could make for any number of separate threads? <P>please if there are more such generous people, or if ramona is willing to share more, could we start separate threads? - as i'm sure all the teachers here would like to think about, and discuss each class set, without losing focus.....frankly i'm amazed at your generosity!<P>ramona - i look forward to reading this properly later, thanks so much. Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2000 5:30 pm 

Rabbit- I would love to share with you. But, after 25 yrs of teaching I have been retired for the last 3 yrs. However, I still take ballet class. <P> I never recorded my barres - or center - I made them up pretty much as I went along. I arrived in class with an idea in mind of what I wanted to work on - what I thought the class needed - but composed as I went. The barre that I just posted, I invented as I typed. It helped me that all the time I taught, I was also taking class and performing - which helped to keep me fresh. (I hope!!)<P>But I am interested in your thoughts and opinions, Rabbit - or if you need someone to bounce your ideas off of - hope I can help.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 8:01 pm 

Hey, this is great! I'm going to use some of these in my 'home barre.' Thanks for sharing your creativity!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2000 9:57 pm 

yes, it's very generous of rabbbit, isn't it?<P>'watch this space!' as they say, k8 - i get the feeling there'll be more along these lines - just hopefully not too soon, because i haven't taken all this on board, yet.... Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 4:00 am 

well i hope i haven't killed off this thread by separating out each barre into its own thread. basheva's barre may be found under the title "Ballet Barre: Glissade Theme".<P>her original question was:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>.....you are designing, in your<BR>opinion, the most efficacious barre. <P>Putting aside syllabus, in what order and perhaps why in that order - would the work occur?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>hoping i can come up with some comment or other - it was a bit of a 'big ask' the first time! Image

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 4:10 am 

OK, just some random thoughts, because i'm such a perfectionist, i'll never answer, if i try to come up with what's been asked for: "THE most efficacious barre" EVER! Image<P>1. i like grands battements before adage, not vice versa (for MY body - i need it that way.)<P>2. also for me: i like lots of stretches - i need them, distributed throughout the barre.<P>3. no killer adages!<P>4. oops - am i getting into "the barre i would most LIKE to do", rather than "the most efficacious" ?!? Image <P>5. i never feel like frappés are much use for anything, and i feel a bit the same about petits battements - but i'm sure i'm wrong!!!!!<P>6. i agree with basheva that i find full pliés in 2nd, of more value than in any of the other positions.<P>7. now i can see why you people chose to present themed barres - that way you have narrowed the question down a bit....so that it becomes the most efficacious for THAT particular purpose....smart move! Image<P>

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 9:07 am 

I think that one thing that must be taken into consideration is the most efficacious barre for the time of the week - Monday's barre would be different from Friday's barre.<P>Given that - I too like (and need) stretches throught the barre - as Grace does. I also feel the need for tendu avec and sans plie' at different speeds. The same with degage'. The work really begins for me in rond de jambe a terre- that is crucial for me and I always gave them in some combination - but always fulsomely - 8 en dehors and 8 en dedans; and a low rond de jambe en l'air. My hips need a slow steady warmup. <P>Well, I LOVE frappe'. I enjoy the quickness, the syncopation. I often at that point begin to put in a musical challenge for my students - on and off beat- and it begins to bring my feet and responses up to speed. And here is where I also put in petit battements and serre'. <P>Then a rond de jambe en l'air and the first really sustained elevation - even if not very high. Now, finally I am ready for the sustained work of the adage. I always ended with grand battement - for my body that is better, because I like to sustain my grand battements, too. But like I said stretch throughout the barre - as well as more and more sustained balances. In the balances I include both 'sur place' and moving.<P>Now I am ready to dance ---------<P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 18, 2000).]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 11:16 am 

I have a further thing to say about the efficacy of both frappe' and petit battement. I think that these two exercises at the barre are singularly important to warm up the groin muscles.<P> This is probably one of the most "at risk" muscles in the body. As I remember it - this muscle is one of the longest but also one of the least dense and therefore quite fragile.<P>As anyone who has hurt this muscle knows, it controls the movement of petit battement - that small from front to back - and back to front movement at the ankle - so small and yet impossible without a well functioning groin muscle.<P>For that reason I do not ever exclude frappe', petit battement or serre' from a barre. <P>We are each asked our opinion - and that is mine. <P>[apologies for editing, basheva: all i did was change the spelling of petite to petit! Image ]<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 18, 2000).]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 6:33 pm 

i agree with you about rond de jambe being when one really feels things get going - also i always liked flowing movements (and waltzes, which ronds de jambes sometimes are on), so i always looked forward to and enjoyed the rond de jambe exercise.<P>good points about frappé and petit battement - i am not AT ALL against DOING them, i just ask questions, that's all! Image<P>another point is that i appreciate feeling my whole body is involved by a barre, and not just a set of leg exercises....<P>and to add to basheva's comments about monday vs. friday - a pre-performance barre will be very different to a teaching/training barre for students.....as will every level of teaching be different at the barre...<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 18, 2000).]