public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 1:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to type those capricious French accents
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2000 5:07 pm 

For all of these, you hold down the alt key and type the numbers listed to the right of it to produce an accented letter:<P>alt + 128 = Ç<BR>alt + 129 = ü<BR>alt + 130 = é<BR>alt + 131 = â<BR>alt + 132 = ä<BR>alt + 133 = à<BR>alt + 135 = ç<BR>alt + 137 = ë<BR>alt + 138 = è<BR>alt + 139 = ï<BR>alt + 150 = û<BR>alt + 151 = ù<BR>alt + 152 = ÿ<BR>alt + 153 = Ö<P>These are all I can find at the moment; there may be more (yes, I know not all of those are French, but they might be useful... Image). <P>------------------<BR>~Intuviel~<BR><A HREF="http://www.freetown.com/Uptown/HaightAshbury/1055/ballet.html" TARGET=_blank>Balletica</A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: How to type those capricious French accents
PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2000 7:14 pm 

Right, but it's important to note that you can only get the characters if you use the number pad and not the numbers across the top of the key board.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2000 11:21 pm 

aha! thanks, both of you. Image Image<P>alt + 130 = é <P>alt + 138 = è<P>alt + 133 = à<P>this is just the "Dummies List" for those of us -like me- who aren't planning on going overboard (nor planning a trip to paris, like intuviel!). now we can ALL be clever: thank you! Image<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited June 09, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2000 5:59 am 

hello!<P>There is a bit of an easier way if it is difficult to remember all those numbers (well, it is if you can follow my instructions)... and it can also be used in chat. <P>Go to the Control Panel and double-click on Keyboard, click on the tab 'Language' and press 'properties'. Click on 'American International'.. then you can write the accents eg for e ecoute press e quickly followed by ' to give é.<P>Alternatively, if you can cope, go to the Control Panel and double-click on Keyboard, click on the tab 'Language' and press 'add' then click on 'French Standard'.. the problem with this is that some letters are in different places (eek!) but the accented letters are on the numbers row of the keyboard.<P>Geez, I hope that made sense...<BR>Birdie. xxx.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2000 7:13 am 

oh, fascinating!<P>fancy getting CHOICES! thanks, birdie. <P>i'm sure that when i get around to trying these other two ways out - i'll have some questions for you.<P>p.s. Image welcome! nice to see you here!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2000 6:46 pm 

Here are some other intersting symbols we can make with alt and the number pad...<P>alt + 225 ß<BR>alt + 168 ¿<BR>alt + 173 ¡<BR>alt + 167 º<BR>alt + 166 ª<BR>alt + 165 Ñ<BR>alt + 164 ñ<BR>alt + 163 ú<BR>alt + 162 ó<BR>alt + 161 í<BR>alt + 160 á<BR>alt + 157 ¥<BR>alt + 156 £<BR>alt + 155 ¢<BR>alt + 154 Ü<BR>alt + 149 ò<BR>alt + 148 ö<BR>alt + 147 ô<BR>alt + 146 Æ<BR>alt + 145 æ<BR>alt + 144 É<BR>alt + 143 Å<BR>alt + 142 Ä<BR>alt + 141 ì<BR>alt + 140 î<BR>alt + 136 ê<BR>alt + 134 å

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2000 5:03 pm 

So that's where the i with a circumflex is! I was typing emboîté the other day and was just wondering that. Do you know how to make an a with a circumflex, too? <P>------------------<BR>~Intuviel~<BR><A HREF="http://www.freetown.com/Uptown/HaightAshbury/1055/ballet.html" TARGET=_blank>Balletica</A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2000 5:55 pm 

well, we're ALL learning things, aren't we? (except maybe Bea, who is obviouly "a full bottle" on this stuff!)<P>i can use £ (alt + 156): thanks, bea! Image<P>and alt + 144 (É) may be handy here, for ballet terms at the start of a sentence, too...<P>i'll try to remember alt + 140 (î - as in 'emboîté'), but that one will be a bit of a challenge! Image<P>thanks very much to all of you. Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 1:38 pm 

This is really fascinating...<BR>I think it might be a good idea to bring my French keyboard back to Australia with me, you can also type perfect English with it too.<BR>Somebody should invent an international keyboard!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 2:46 pm 

It would have to be huge...Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Japanese, Korean, not to mention Roman letters all on one keyboard...and Chinese has over 40,000 symbols!<P>------------------<BR>~Intuviel~<BR><A HREF="http://www.freetown.com/Uptown/HaightAshbury/1055/ballet.html" TARGET=_blank>Balletica</A><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 2:59 pm 

Hmmn... Food for thought.<BR>What about keyboards for different scripts; immediatly separates Asian, Arabic, etc...<BR>But can include Cyrillic and accented European languages?<BR>I'm sure an American could invent, patent and exploit it!<P>PS. Hi!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 4:54 pm 

Michael, this is totally off the subject, but you reminded me of the time when I was in the Geneva airport waiting for a flight. This was when there were military guards walking about with frightening guns. (the 80's I believe)<BR>We decided we should stay put in a lounge, just to avoid any potential crossfire, you know, so we bought a scrabble game. <BR>It was a french scrabble game. Halfway through we realized there were an abundance of vowels, particularly e's. eeeeeeeK!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 5:56 pm 

maggie, what a sweet story - did the 'e's come with built in accents? Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2000 6:25 am 

I just found this. I was away when you were talking about it. All I want to do is é, probably, so that's good that it seems to work. Thank You Intuviel.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 6:21 am 

btw, intuviel is IN paris at present, trying these accents out, for real......truly!<P>we look forward to her return, and hearing all about it!

Profile E-mail