CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ballet Barre: Fouetté Theme
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2000 5:54 am 

<BR>As was suggested (And a good suggestion it was :-)) I moved the post to it's own thread<BR>---------------------------------------------------------------<BR>Ballet class three Basics class <P>Barre <BR>1]<BR>(Warm up for the lower extremities]<BR>Tendus de cote <BR>Facing the barre in 1st position<BR>alternating legs for change of weight<P>3 tendu decote<BR>3 plie tendu<BR>3 double tendu<BR>3 tendu -point & flex<BR>3 degage<P>2]<BR>[warm up for the upper body]<BR>Port de bras--Cambre en Rond<BR>Begin feet 5th arm 2nd <P>-alonge the hand & reach outward<BR>inclining the body slightly away from the barre, bend fwd with a straight back lowering the arm en bas,<BR>drop the head to the knees & circler the body in toward the barre maintaining the arm curved in 5th<BR>lift the body bending sideways towards the barre, reach back to the diagonal, continue reaching back into a complete back bend with the arm in 5th<BR>circle the body out ward while coming upright & recover with the arm returning second.<P>REVERSE<BR>soutenou turn at barre & repeat<P>3]<BR>Plie<BR>-in positions 1st-2nd-5th- <BR>(beginning in 1st parallel)<BR>exercise for finding natural out turn<BR>In 1st--2 demi plie w/ simple prt de bras<BR>1 grand plie w/ reverse port de bras<BR>bring feet parallel - do stretch for spine<BR>exercise for finding natural turn out<BR>In 2nd - 2 demi & 1 Grande plie<BR>port de corps in 2nd<BR>releve & 3rd port de bras w/cambre back<BR>repeat this in 5th<BR>chaine away from barre & step to 4th<BR>plie prep & pirouette en dehors - landing 4th-opos.<BR>Chaine back to barre entire exercise on other side <BR>[ the chaine' away from the barre to pirouette is as means of providing a concrete link to the plie..IE: why is a plie implortant, why do we do plies]<BR>End exercise with pose efface.<P>4]<BR>Tendu <BR>[as continued warm up & for change of weight exercise]<BR>When starting hold the arm in 2nd position-- The inside leg only goes front or back never side. When going to the side with the outside leg it will always change or close "where it is going to".<P>Devant & Derriere only<BR>: 3 tendu with the outside leg/1 tendu with the inside leg<BR>2 tendu with outside/ 1 tendu with inside/1 tendu with outside<BR>1 tendu with outside/1 tendu with inside/2 tendu with outside<BR>1 tendu with inside/3 tendu with outside<P>battement fouette to turn at barre<P><BR>5]<BR>Plie soutenou (1234) & retire (5)..balance(678)<BR>exercise is done en croix..last repetition de cote<BR>executes pirouette tire bouchon ½ turn @ barre to change sides<P>6]<BR>(continuation on change of weight & study of the conditional position sur le cou de pied]<BR>Coupe from pointe tendu preparation--tendu de cote<P>cut working leg across front of supporting leg (by means of a small rise in 5th) & tombe onto it into the position sur le cou-de-pied derriere.<P>Arms moves from 2nd, through prepatory to 1st.<P>1 coupe pointe tendu & pas du bourre sur le place to return foot pointe tendu<P>execute 5x last pdb turns at barre to repeat<P>7]<BR>Demi Rond de Jambe Par Terre<BR>& fouette<BR>from 1st pos.<P>Demi rond en dehors & en dedans 7x in all<BR>plie soutenou to retire<BR>exercise for fouette 3x<BR>2 x fouette tours<BR>promenade outside to barre in 4 cts w/ working leg coming through passe<BR>repeat to other side<P>8]<BR>Fondu/grand rond de jambe<BR>(begin 5th devant) To 2nd only<BR>2x-fondu decote to point tendu<BR>2x-fondu decote (releve) to 45 degree<BR>2x-fondu de cote (releve) to 90 degree<BR>1x- grand ronde de Jambe en lair en dehors-on whole ft<BR>to 2nd arabesque fondue<BR>releve holding pose & turn at barre<BR>close & repeat to other side<P>Rond de jambe en l'air & saute preparation from 5th developpe de cote<P>on whole ft.<BR>3 rond en lair en dehors<BR>releve & repeat<BR>come to whole ft<P>chaine off of barre & prepare<P>3 rond en l'air saute ( the height of jump the leg extende a la seconde @ 45 degrees..must complete the rond while off the floor)<BR>repeat endedans<BR>chaine back to barre & repeat to other side<P>9]<BR>Frappe/petite battement/battu<BR>(arm remains bras bas) <BR>preparation tendu 2nd & close cou de pied devant flexed <P>frappe en croix (on whole ft) (1ct each)<BR>releve to the position wrapped devant<BR>8x in all petite battement devant & derrier (2 ct ea)<BR>- to the conditional position devant on the whole ft<BR>8 battu devant<BR>1x frappe to change derriere<BR>8 battu derrier<BR>pas du bourree ½ turn at barre<BR>repeat to other side<P>10]<BR>de veloppe d'ici - dela' & . Barre stretch<P>(DeeSEE duh-LAH)<P>this is a moderately fast exercise preparation (small port de bras)<P>developpe devant on ct 1& 2<BR>demi rond to 2nd on &<BR>quicly return leg devant on 3 <BR>return ft 5th on 4<P>execute to point tendu 7x<BR>execute to 45 degree 5x<BR>execute to 90 degree 3x<BR>repeat derriere<BR>soutenout turn outside at barre<BR>repeat<P>fouette to face barre <BR>developpe onto barre<BR>2 demi plie <BR>slide down barre, side stretch over leg & 2 plie<BR>cambre back & recover<BR>turn inward over leg & repeat<BR>lift leg from barre-hold 2 cts-slowly lower to 5th back<BR>repeat on other side<P>As you have already noted this barre is for older students, it is a themed barre ..can you tell what the theme is? I would use it 1x per/wk in the case of students taking 3 or more (more is better) classes per week. While their staple barre would remain more traditional.<P>I look forward to seeing other contributions.

Post subject: Re: Ballet Barre: Fouetté Theme
PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 5:54 am 

Ok, questions coming up - starting at the beginning.<P>ramona, i hope to have a long and fruitful relationship with you in THE STUDIO, so i'd like to establish from the outset, that i am understanding you correctly. to do this, i need to ask questions: i hope you won't see this as nitpicking! it's quite difficult to write exercises down in such a way that they mean the same thing to the person who is receiving them.....<P>starting with #1:<P>what kind of music are we talking here? how come there are 3 of things? (instead of the more usual 4?) is every count 4 a pause, maybe? what do you mean by 'double tendu'?<P>#3:<P>i assume you start IN 1st, not in parallel? what is "exercise for finding natural turn out" please?<P>'ports de corps' in 2nd would be over the barre, would it?<P>what is '3rd port de bras'?<P>cute: the chenée away from the barre to 4th, pirouette, etc! Image<P>#4:<P>what is battement fouetté? could that be what we call 'flic-flac'?<P>i won't go any further till i understand this lot, OK? thanks a lot.... Image<P>

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 2:09 pm 

Always happy to answer questions:<P>RE><P>"ramona, i hope to have a long and fruitful relationship with you in THE STUDIO"<P>*** Ok now you've let the bunny out of the bag -so to speak LOL<P><BR>"starting with #1:<P>what kind of music are we talking here? <P>***a moderate tempo tendu<P>how come there are 3 of things? (instead of the more usual 4?) is every count 4 a pause, maybe?<P>*** Ooops, sorry..yes the 4th ct is a rest in the time to prepare for a weight change as the exercise alternates L & R<P> what do you mean by 'double tendu'?<P>***Double tendu: Tendu-heel down- tendu-close<P>#3:<P>i assume you start IN 1st, not in parallel? what is "exercise for finding natural turn out" please?<P>*** I do mean in parallel or 6th position if you please. The exercise is- raise the leg parallel abt 45 degrees with a flexed foot, making sure of the alignment of the leg. then turn out from the hip & place in 1st position. This makes sure that there is no compensation within the ankle or knee for the turn out,,,as the exercise says,,finding the natural turn out...I share the belief that dancers should work within their natural range.<P>'ports de corps' in 2nd would be over the barre, would it?<P>No this is a body bend fwd,,contracting up to stretch the spine.<P>what is '3rd port de bras'?--same as port de corps..the arm(s) move through the 2nd port de bras (russian)<P>cute: the chenée away from the barre to 4th, pirouette, etc! <P>I like this on occasion as it gives some concrete idea of why the plie exercise is so important. Something practical to go with theory.<P>#4:<P>what is battement fouetté? could that be what we call 'flic-flac'?<P>I don't think so...not as I understand flic flac. It is a battement en avant (can be to 45 degrees of better)- a releve on the supporting leg at the top of the battement & then the body whips around at the barre (with a strong spot) the working leg is now in arabesque....the rule is that during the fouette the level of the toe does not alter...a great strengthener...good for working on squaring... also a nice alternative turn at barre...the leg in arabesque would close to the back.<P>i won't go any further till i understand this lot, OK? thanks a lot.... <P>No problem,,,feel free to ask as many questions as you need.<p>[This message has been edited by Rabbit (edited October 15, 2000).]

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 5:30 pm 

thanks rabbit - you'll have to be patient, as it is going to take me some time to process all these tiny differences, so that i can then see the whole, the way you do...<P>1. bunny: haha! Image<P>2. quote "***Double tendu: Tendu-heel down- tendu-close"<P>just for interest, do YOU do this WITH or WITHOUT weight transference?<P>3. re "exercise for finding natural turn out" - great! thank you! i'll try it. never seen this before, as part of an exercise, only as a measure of turnout in pre-ballet type physique assessments. can see it's value. thank you.<P>4. re "'3rd port de bras'?--same as port de corps..the arm(s) move through the 2nd port de bras russian)" - still confued, but getting clearer! - so both are cambrés (or 'ports de bras' or body bends) FORWARD...yes? so what is the difference? (i take it it has to do with the path the arm takes...)<P>5. re my question: "what is battement fouetté? could that be what we call 'flic-flac'?"<P>OK, now i get it. this is what i call 'fouetté relevé'. <P>and what i would call 'battement fouetté', is as in the RAD syllabus at elementary level, an emphatic whipping in of the lower leg, from a la seconde 45 degrees, into retiré, both 'in front of', and 'behind' the suporting leg.<P>my inclusion of flic-flac as a possible interpretation was just way out - sorry to confuse things. i was guessing!<P>again, i won't say more tll we are on course with this much...thanks rabbit.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2000 6:52 pm 

Rabbit - I used to use the battement fouette' also at the barre -both devant and derriere. You are right it is a great strengthener. I also found it a very good way for the student to learn to control that strength. To do a strong battement and turn of the body - but to also control that movement without a pull on the barre.<P>I used to be constantly telling my students that the barre was a tool not a crutch. Every exercise at the barre included letting go of the barre. Also the thumbs were kept on top of the barre never wrapped around it. That lessened the intensity of the grip on the barre. And, I used to tease them, no white knuckles - keep that touch light. And that battement fouette that you described, Rabbit - was great for testing self reliance rather than barre reliance.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 8:24 am 

Grace; a thank you for correcting my Typo in the subject heading & a reply to your questions.<P>"2. quote "***Double tendu: Tendu-heel down- tendu-close"<P>just for interest, do YOU do this WITH or WITHOUT weight transference?"<P>--It is done without a transfer of weight, this is the russian equivalent of Battement tendu Releve' (Cecchetti).. it can be executed to both 2nd & 4th positions and is a wonderful exercise to develop the instep.<P>"<BR>4. re "'3rd port de bras'?--same as port de corps..the arm(s) move through the 2nd port de bras russian)" - still confused, but getting clearer! - so both are cambrés (or 'ports de bras' or body bends) FORWARD...yes? so what is the difference? (i take it it has to do with the path the arm takes...)<P>--I may have slightly mis spoke myself here, the port de corps is the same as a basic cambré forward at barre with a contraction to stretch the spine..the use of the arm would be teachers choice...3rd Port de bras is a port de corps at center that has a specific accompanying port de bras, specifically the second port de bras (russian)..I have a habit of using the two terms interchangably as I ussualy use the arm through the second port de bras when giving the exercise at barre.<P>"and what i would call 'battement fouetté', is as in the RAD syllabus at elementary level, an emphatic whipping in of the lower leg, from a la seconde 45 degrees, into retiré, both 'in front of', and 'behind' the suporting leg."<P>--we may be having some difficulty with our differing terminologies here, I am going to make a guess here.... based on what you are describing: bears close reseblance to Rond de jambe en l'air.<P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited October 18, 2000).]

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2000 6:56 pm 

re RAD battements fouettés:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>based on what you are describing: bears close resemblance to Rond de jambe en l'air?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>no, no no. well, yes. no. sort of....<P>oh dear!<P>differences:-<P>1. RDJ en l'air is an oval shaped movement. RAD battement fouetté is a straight line movement.<P>2. RDJ is a flowing dynamic. RAD BF is an emphatic, almost forceful, whipping movement (as 'fouetté!).<P>3. RAD BF has accent strongly IN. appears in Elementary syllabus - i find it a very useful exercise, otherwise i wouldn't be bothering to go on about it here.....<P>hope this helps. back to read a bit more of your post.... Image<P>