CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: USA Dance Teacher Training
PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 11:49 am 

Small correction: my undergraduate degree is from Juilliard, MFA from Arizona State University. The situation in the university is bizarre in that you do generally have to have an MFA to advance, even if you have impeccable professional credentials. There are exceptions..and it depends on the university...<P>many adminstrative people don't understand dance and/or musical training..ie. that you have to take technique every semester...and often allowances are not made in the core curriculum and course distribtution for this fact. <BR>For example, at one university I taught at, (which shall go unamed!)the students only had to take one technique class per semester, which only met twice a week, for ony 70 minutes per class! Needless to say, when students came to rehearsal, they were often ill-equipped to do the movement I had in mind! and this institution offered a BA or BS in Dance!! You have to really look at the individual curriculums and see if it's a "liberal arts" degree with a concentration in dance, or a real DANCE MAJOR! There's a big difference!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2000 2:54 pm 

I agree very much with Trina - I had the same experience with the university and college here in San Diego at which I taught. The curriculum only allows the student to enroll in ballet class for two years - then the curriculum assumes the student has "finished" ballet. Class is tiwce a week for 70 minutes.<P> The computerized enrollment system is set up to that effect - and the student is actually prohibited from taking any more ballet - even in addition to their regular studies. So the faculty circumvents this by having students enroll for one class - but actually take another. And, transferring grades between the two (modern and ballet, for instance). It's very convoluted and totally unrealistic. If the class enrollment falls below 30 - class is cancelled. Now everyone knows that 30 people for ballet class is ridiculous - especially for beginners. <P>The students even go so far as to enroll a friend (husband, significant other) and then take the class themselves - this is with the full knowledge and collusion of the teacher.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2000 6:29 am 

good heavens, basheva: what a fiasco! <P>and trina: sounds like this is an important part of the answer to my question:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>see if it's a "liberal arts" degree with a concentration in dance, or a real DANCE MAJOR! There's a big difference!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>