public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Jul 25, 2014 9:14 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ill and at class?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2001 11:23 am 

I have run into a few situations of late with regard to illness. I have always thought that it was a good idea for a child NOT to attend class while ill, but I am starting to wonder if I am the only person in this category.<P>I would be interested to learn what the experience of others has been.<P>

Post subject: Re: ill and at class?
PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2001 3:39 pm 

Hello Mom - If you mean young children coming to class ill- yes, that happens all the time. Sometimes parents do this because dance class takes place at a time when the parent has something else scheduled (like a hair appointment) and therefore the dance class is really baby-sitting. I hate to be cynical but I have actually had that happen. The child should, of course, stay at home until well. <P>As for teenagers, they often come to class ill because of peer pressure. The student fears she will fall behind. But there is also a more insidious underpinning, I think. The message is subliminally given that dance students are expected to come to class no matter what - work through pain when hurt. And illness is seen in the same light.<P> The message comes sometimes from the teacher or other students. I have had to several times send an ill or hurting student home. There is an almost unspoken ethos in the dance community - keep dancing at any cost. Don't complain, don't blame your shoes, don't whine, keep dancing.<P>On the other hand, I have to be honest and say that I have many, many times danced while ill and hurting, myself. In 25 yrs. of teaching I only went home early once, and found I had a 102 fever when I got home. Was this right? Nope. Would I allow my students to do that? Nope.<P>Sometimes we are much kinder to others than we are to ourselves. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2001 3:53 pm 

what a good answer, basheva! Image<P>(as always......)<P>mom2 - completely agree - exertion is not for the ill! it also places an extra burden on the teacher, who must then prioritise the needs of the ill person - who has not bothered to take care of their OWN needs first. unfair!<P>not to mention the risks of spreading something, and making everyone else ill.....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2001 4:14 pm 

I agree---child should not be in class if ill. Out of courtesy to the teacher and others students who might "catch something". However, if the child is ill all the time, and misses many classes, I begin to wonder. Conference time with parent is called for! I recommend a thorough checkup by a physician. Then we have to see if child really wants to be in the class to begin with. For professional dancers or pre-professionals, I have differeent criteria. But the contagious aspect is uniform; if someone is contagious, they should not be around others, regardless.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2001 5:02 am 

I agree with you all completely. Unfortunately in my house two of us are fighting a bug now...could it have had anything to do with my daughter's dance partner coming to practice with a fever of 104 (diagnosed the following day with pneumonia)? Of course, I can't know for certain that this is what my daughter caught and subsequently passed on to me, but I wonder. (This daughter, by the way, is 9)<P>This week I called the studio to say that she was ill and wouldn't be in class. A while later I got a call asking if she was VERY ill as they were having a costume fitting. I didn't bring her in, but expect I may have incurred some disfavour (oh, by the way I didn't know they were to have a fitting that day).<P>So, I feel somewhat better now that I have read your posts...Now, if I could only get rid of this bug!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2001 5:58 am 

I agree--contagious children should be kept at home. Those with fevers, gunky noses and those horrific coughs should be kept at home also. BUT--sometimes "illness" is just being tired or having cramps SO I state that if you are contagious, feverish or you are making abnormal noises--stay home--BUT if you are able to watch class (this is for students over 12 mind you) and are not contagious to please come observe the class so you will not fall far behind. (Especially at recital/rehearsal time) I don't mind a student watching from the corner if they are not feeling well--and I've only been sick in direct correlation to the studio once in thirteen years, so I think this is a good way to look at the situation. Often teens are just having a bad day and are not up to the physical demands of a full class, but they can still learn something from the observation of a class.<P>No one with a fever (of any age) should be in a studio--no one that is contagious should either! What I find terrible is that the students are all healthy, but the mom brings a younger sibling with a nasty nose/throat thing and two days later someone else from the class prior/later has it from being in contact with the sick sibling.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2001 7:10 am 

Some of the sickest I have EVER been is when I was teaching at the college. It seemed there was always something horrific going around. In fact that is where I caught a virus/flu/whatever it was - that injured me and cost me my career. <P>The pianist caught it and it went to his spine. Another teacher caught it and it went to her heart. So, I guess I was lucky.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2001 10:58 am 

Of course it is particularly difficult when the teacher is ill. In many cases it may be next to impossible to find a replacement, and cancelling classes poses a host if problems as well.<P>Thank you all for letting me "vent".<P>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 12:02 am 

Tell me about it Mom 2 - at my recital last year I had the cold from hell but had to be there otherwise it wouldn't have happened.<P>It is a tricky situation if you the teacher are ill and you have no one to cover. The thought of having to telephone everyone to let them know you are ill is so horrifuc that you often feel it is easier just to go and teach. I'm luckier now in that i do have other teachers I can get to cover - but even that poses problems - getting keys and tapes to them in time. A lot of the time you end up dosing yourself up, taking the classes and then collapsing afterwards - by no means ideal.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 9:30 am 

I only missed teaching once (due to strep) and did have to make those horrific calls (with no voice) to all the parents because I was teaching on behalf of the ballet academy at a private girls' school and the #@$%^!!!#$ administrator of the ballet academy did not offer to make any of those calls herself, even though it was her business, nor did she try to get anyone to sub (the mean wench).<P>I know this is more of another thread, so I won't go further than to say I wonder if anyone else has ever taught on behalf of their school at another location where the school director keeps taking the lion's share of the $$$ even though the teacher must do 10 times more work than if she were simply teaching at the ballet school itself. <P>In all of my years of teaching children, I did not catch anything, but I did not touch my face while teaching, and made sure to wash my hands thoroughly after class. Divine Providence also played a hand, I think, considering all the tuberculin sounding coughs I heard throughout that time.<P>And, for some reason, I think it may be worse to be around teens than children in such situations (as was the case with Basheva). I went to high school undercover at 29 as a high school senior for a newspaper story, and I got three throat infections in one semester.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 1:15 pm 

I know we all feel that probably we are more exposed to illness because of all the children we encounter as teachers, but sometimes I feel that this exposure can sometimes make us more immune.<P>Obviously we all catch colds from time to time and i have had the odd tonsillitus (haven't a clue if that is spelt right) in my time - but most of my colds I seen to have picked up from family rather than my pupils.<P>What do you think - is working with kids and the general public an immunisation or a health hazard?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 2:12 pm 

My own experience was that teaching teens/college age was the worst. For me that is. <P>However, I was often on the recieving end of a cough or sneeze as I stooped down to arrange the feet of an 8 yr. old. Having actually to wipe my face afterwards.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 2:59 pm 

Colleges are especially bad for illness because the students all live together _and_ go to school together. Plus, there is a lot of pressure to attend class to get good grades, so people go even when they should be home in bed. I had a professor who took serious pains to tell us to STAY HOME when we were sick, and we followed his advice because we knew he would be understanding. I think many college students need to hear from their professors that not only is it okay if they stay home when they are sick, it is in everyone's best interest if they do so. Of course, this only works if they are allowed to make up work at a later date...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 4:14 pm 

Hey all, this has been an interesting thread to read because I am sick (and have been for over a month) and I have been trying to figure out when I can to back to dance and school, and all the other little meetings and parties that come with honor society, student council, etc. I sat in the corner at dance over a month ago because I wasn't feeling good, then I was out of school for a week, in for a day, out for a week, missing dance and all else the whole time. I finally went to a doctor and was diagnosed with a mono-type (as in like mono, not monotype)illness that was supposed to last 1 week tops. Yeah right is all I have to say there, lol. I went to a dance class two or so weeks ago when I was just about better, no fever, not contagious, and found myself the next morning with bronchitis from a wonderful little 4-year-old whose mother thought it was better for the class if the student didnt miss. ?!?T?H?I?N?K??L?A?D?Y?! Ok so I still have bronchitis, but no fever or anything else. So do you all think I am cool to go back to school? How about dance? I am considering just watching dance, maybe doing it if its very slow and not too strenuous, but only one or two classes this week with any participation, cuz I am in a bunch. Lemme know what all your feelings are... by the way, I missed all the state tests and finals over a week ago and I really really need to get them done (if I still can Image)<BR>thanks, love ya all.<BR>-ZoeBear Image

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2001 4:20 pm 

Hello Zoe - it is always a pleasure to see you here!!<P>I think you should go back to school when that bronchitis gets better, even if you don't have a fever. When you are sick your body needs to rest because it is busy fighting the illness. Bronchitis affects how you breathe - and breathing is important!! <P>Also, as you found out if you go back while you are still weak and recovering you can catch other stuff really easily - like bronchitis - and there you go - sick again. So, take your time, get really healthy and well and then go back. And, when you do - go back to dance s l o w l y.

Profile E-mail