public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Differences in Syllabi in Different Countries
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2000 6:33 pm 

It was suggested that I start a new thread so here goes....<P>First of all, I want to say thank you to everyone who's been so nice welcoming me to this board. I really think I'm going to enjoy it here.<P>Ok, let's start with ballet. I teach "American" Cecchetti. The levels go as follows:<P>Standard A<BR>Standard B<BR>Grade 1<BR>Grade 2<BR>Grade 3<BR>Grade 4<BR>Elementary<BR>Intermediate<BR>Advanced <P>Then I'm a little fuzzy....I'm not sure if it's diploma next, or something else. I don't know anyone who's taken their advanced exam yet. I'm in Intermediate but take Advanced classes if I have the time.<P>I believe that from Elementary and Beyond, we use ISTD Cecchetti.<P>Anyone able to help me out, or be able to start by just maybe stating the levels and which country and/or syllabus<P><BR>THanks

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Differences in Syllabi in Different Countries
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2000 8:04 pm 

Hello again Tiff - <P>Altogether I have studied for 30 yrs. (and am still at it, old lady that I am) and early in my studies (I came to ballet as an adult) I was with a wonderful Cecchetti teacher. Altogether I studied with her for five years. I am not sure what area you are in - I am in San Diego - and I was wondering if you were familiar with the Cecchetti Council in this area?<P>This teacher, Eula Hoff, was an examiner and she wanted to mentor me into the Cecchetti Council, but after consideration I decided against it. So though I have taught for 25 yrs. and am not a Cecchetti teacher, I do use some of the basic syllabus such as the arabesques, body positions, head and arm positions. As well as the port de bras exercises, which I practice to this day. <P>Again, welcome to the board........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 12:21 am 

tiff, good for you! thanks for starting this thread. the person who can be most directly helpful with up to date UK info is Tuk (Teacher U.K.), so i will pretty much wait for him to give us authoritative answers, i think, even though i am eager to learn about this issue.<P><BR>your grades make sense as being pretty similar, except that we have Pre-Elementary before Elementary (of course!). and when i did my Cecchetti associateship they did not have the standards you mention, but Tuk can let us know about that, too. there also was a grade 5.....before Pre-El.<P>i notated the full grade syllabus in Benesh Movement Notation in 1992. the syllabus had been set in 1986. that has now been superceded, i believe, but not with huge changes, as far as i know.<P>looking forward to Tuk's comments, and to more from you.<P>the Enrico Cecchetti Diploma is quite separate fom all of the grade and major examinations, resting as it does, on understanding and knowldege of the full week of daily exercises, choreographed, as far as i know, by Cecchetti himself. very interesting, too, they are. i once had an aim to do this, one day, as i do like the learning and the exposure to 'new' (haha) things..but now, i wonder....time marches on!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 6:25 am 

<BR>What are the approximate ages in each of the levels? <P>When you mention the ages of the children, could you also put how many times a week they study? There's a big difference between a 12 year old who studies once a week and one who studies 4 times a week...<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited December 18, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 12:05 pm 

.<p>[This message has been edited by Gavin (edited March 07, 2001).]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 1:12 pm 

Gavin - that is very interesting. What a wonderful connection you have to the ballet history. My teacher's teacher, Alexandra Baldina is of that era also. She was with the original Diaghelev company. As was her husband Theodore Koslov. They both settled down and taught in Los Angeles, where my teacher studied with them.<P> And, I agree completely -about not getting too stuck into the syllabus. For me, anyway, it makes a foundation, but I am not a set syllabus teacher. That is why I respectfully declined to be mentored into the Cecchetti Council. <P>I enjoyed too much choreographing each class for my students. Even using the same music over and over would be impossible for me. But that is just personal taste. <P>And, I have known many fine Cecchetti teachers, such as mine, Eula Hoff.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 2:21 pm 

gavin, hi again! i am not actually sure what you mean by this: "Don't get too stuck into the syllabus....". i can see basheva's interpretation, but i thought you meant something else....like 'don't get too interested in the syllabus details' or 'don't criticise the syllabus', more likely...<P>while the extra points you raise are of course worthy of discussion, what we have started this thread for is to find out, by comparing notes, what the differences are. so that is the purpose of this thread.<P>for that same reason, tiff, i hope you don't mind that i have extracted your comments above, inviting people to comment on other syllabi (including jazz and tap), into a new thread of their own.....<P>gavin - your info is interesting news to me, so i would very much like to pursue this with you and/or Tuk. <P>i take it that you are saying that the new system in Cecchetti has a grade 6 (which didn't exist before), and has eliminated Pre-El, and Elementary; and that there are quite a few other changes.<P>i would personally very much like to learn about these, so please don't dismiss the details. they may be of no particular interest to you - but they are to me.....<P>and if i've misunderstood you, sorry - but i'm just not wanting to lose the reason we started this thread, because i was looking forward to learning about it.<P>cecchetti diploma is of course interesting (as stated above) but i find the work set by knowledgaeble syllabus committees of great interest, too, for different but equally valid reasons.<P>in particular, i would like it if you could tell me more about this section, which i have trouble understanding:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>There are also class exams (pre-primary - standard6 and a senior certificate at amateur level also some performance awards).<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 4:20 pm 

I hope the following will help to clarify the present structure of the ISTD's Cecchetti Faculty examination syllabi.<P>Best wishes<BR>Tuk<P>CLASS EXAMINATIONS<BR>The Cecchetti Class examinations, pre-primary, primary and standards I to V, were restructured in April 1987 and substantially revised in June 1994. Then in 1998 they were re-designated as primary and standards I to VI, although their content remained generally unaffected.<P>Primary (previously Pre-primary)<BR>Standard I (previously Primary)<BR>Standard II (previously Standard I)<BR>Standard III (previously Standard II)<BR>Standard IV (previously Standard III)<BR>Standard V (previously Standard IV)<BR>Standard VI (previously Standard V)<P>GRADE EXAMINATIONS<BR>The Cecchetti grades 1 to 5 were restructured in July 1986 and substantially revised in 1994. Then in 1998 a new grade 1 examination was added and the previous grade 1 to 5 re-designated as grades 2-6, although their content remained generally unaffected.<P>Grade 1 (Introduced 1998)<BR>Grade 2 (previously Grade 2)<BR>Grade 3 (previously Grade 3)<BR>Grade 4 (previously Grade 4)<BR>Grade 5 (previously Grade 5)<BR>Grade 6 (previously Grade 6)<P>MAJOR EXAMINATIONS<BR>In 2000 the major examinations elementary, intermediate and advanced were re-designated to fit in with the structure of the various educational qualifications that now exist in the UK. The reasoning for the change in names was that though elementary, especially, is an accepted level in the area of dance education in the general area of education it implies a standard far below that which is actually demanded from the examinees by the various syllabi. In addition by placing the various grades, medal and majors within the schematic of educational awards it is hoped that students will receive credit for their dance studies along with any other educational activity they may be involved in, whether or not they pursue a career in dance.<P>Also in 2000 the Senior Certificate, which had been introduced in 1991 as an examination for those studying dance at GCSE or A Level or simply wishing to continue their ballet training without the intention of pursuing it as a career, was substantially re-structured and added to the major syllabus as pre-intermediate. This examination is optional, although it is seen as an intermediary stage between the grades and the majors for those students who may not be strong or technically adept enough to progress straight to intermediate.<P>One other addition made to the syllabi in 2000 has been the requirement for dances at Pre-Intermediate, Intermediate and Advanced 1. Advanced 2, the old advanced, always required either a dance or a repertoire solo.<P>The major syllabi now read as follows:<P>Pre-Intermediate (An almost complete reconstruction of Senior Certificate)<BR>Intermediate (Previously Elementary)<BR>Advanced 1 (Previously Intermediate)<BR>Advanced 2 (Previously Advanced)<P>Please note: Despite the change in designation there has been no substantive change in the levels at which each examination is graded.<P>ENRICO CECCHETTI DIPLOMA<BR>The structure of this exam has remained pretty stable, requiring as it does a "full and complete knowledge of the Cecchetti Method as contained in the Manual and the two Allegro books." There is no requirement to have taken any of the major examinations before taking the Diploma, although its syllabus mostly lists exercises that are in the various manuals but not covered in these other examinations.<P>It should be noted that the three manuals referred to are as follows:<P>Beaumont, Cyril W and Stanislas Idzikowski (1922) The Theory and Practice of Classical Theatrical Dancing - Classical Ballet - Cecchetti Method<P>Craske, Margaret and Cyril W Beaumont (1930) The Theory and Practice of Allegro in Classical Ballet - Cecchetti Method<P>Craske, Margaret and Derra De Moroda (1956) The Theory and Practice of Advanced Allegro in Classical Ballet - Cecchetti Method<P>Though these contain a great deal of detail on the work of Maestro Cecchetti recorded both by dancers who worked with the great pedagogue and others privileged to see him in class they really represent a snapshot of his teaching career. This is illustrated by the translation of the Italian Cecchetti manuals, which show substantive differences in the exercises. It seems likely that both the English and Italian manuals are reflections of the Maestro's work and are valid representations of the substantive nature of his contribution to the education of dancers of an extraordinary high standard through out his lifetime.<P>As someone who has had the privilege to have been taught by a pupil of his as well as by others who have a very direct lineage to the Maestro's work I would plead that what the Cecchetti work requires is not to be treated as a fossilised museum piece but as a living heritage that enriches the dance language of future performers and helps to train dancers capable of performing a wide range of classical and contemporary balletic styles.<P>SUMMARY<BR>Although there is no official need to take either all class examinations or grades before tackling the majors or undertaking the Diploma the various examinations can roughly be listed in an ascending order as follows:<P>Primary<BR>Standard I<BR>Grade 1 <BR>Standard II <BR>Grade 2 <BR>Standard III <BR>Grade 3<BR>Standard IV <BR>Grade 4 <BR>Standard V <BR>Grade 5 <BR>Standard VI <BR>Grade 6 <BR>Pre-Intermediate <BR>Intermediate <BR>Advanced 1<BR>Advanced 2<BR>Enrico Cecchetti Diploma<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 6:07 pm 

you're a gem, Tuk! Image<P>thanks.<P>i have read it all, but will actually study it properly later. thank you VERY much! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 6:56 pm 

I'm just curious if the elementary we use is the same as the elementary used in other parts of the world (this is Cecchetti, I'm talking about).<P>On the CD, before every exercise, there is a Gentleman saying the title of the exercise and either "introduction" or "ready and". The barre work is very basic (in my opinion) and very few of the allegros are challenging. There are things like "pas de bouree ouvert" and a "glissade assemble, temps leves, chasse, pas de bouree" exercise.<P>At the end, there are about 6-7 pointe exercises....is the same one every else is using in different parts of the world???<P>Just curious

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2000 11:45 pm 

The following is the first part of the Intermediate (formerly elementary) ISTD Cecchetti Ballet syllabus. I shall try and get the reaming exercises (allegro and pointe work) typed up and posted as soon as possible. I hope this helps to remove some of the confusion that has occurred.<P>Indecently the recorded music is introduced by one of my old teachers Richard Glasstone, to whom I owe a great debt for my knowledge of the Cecchetti work and to whom I will always be grateful.<P>Best wishes<BR>Tuk<P>EXERCICES À LA BARRÉ<P>1. PLIÉS<BR>2a) BATTEMENTS TENDUS<BR>2b) BATTEMENTS DÉGAGÉS<BR>3. RETIRÉS<BR>4. RONDS DE JAMBE À TERRE<BR>5. GRANDS BATTEMENTS<BR>6. FONDU MOVEMENTS<BR>7a. BATTEMENTS FRAPPÉS<BR>7b. FOUETTÉS À TERRE<BR>8. PETITS BATTEMENTS<BR>9. RONDS DE JAMBE EN L'AIR<BR>10. ADAGE<BR>a) DÉVELOPPÉS<BR>b) GRAND FOUETTÉ<BR>c) GRAND ROND DE JAMBE AND <BR>DÉVELOPPÉ EN TOURNANT<BR>11. PREPARATION FOR FOUETTÉS<BR>RONDS DE JAMBE EN TOURNANT<BR>12. BATTEMENTS BALANCÉS<BR>13. PREPARATION FOR SAUTÉS<P>EXERCICES AU MILIEU<P>1. FIRST SET OF PORT DE BRAS<BR>2. EIGHT DIRECTIONS OF THE BODY<BR>(with and without the use of arms)<BR>3a) GRANDS BATTEMENTS<BR>3b) BATTEMENTS TENDUS<BR>3c) BATTEMENTS DÉGAGÉS<BR>4. TEMPS LIE<P>ADAGE<P>1. EXERCISE FOR ARABESQUES<BR>2. DEMI GRAND ROND DE JAMBE<BR>3. ADAGE ENCHAÎNEMENT<BR>(complete adage)<BR>a) EXERCISE FOR DÉGAGÉ EN <BR>TOURNANT À TERRE<BR>b) EXERCISE FOR FOUETTÉ EN L'AIR<BR>c) EXERCISE FOR DÉVELOPPÉ EN <BR>TOURNANT EN DEHORS<P>PIROUETTES<P>1. GRANDE PREPARATION POUR<BR>PIROUETTE EN DEHORS<BR>2. PIROUETTE EN DEHORS<BR>3. PIROUETTES EN DEDANS<BR>(taken from a lunge)<BR>4. PIROUETTES EN DEDANS<BR>(taken from fourth position)<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 2:35 am 

.<P><BR>[This message has been edited by Gavin (edited December 19, 2000).]<p>[This message has been edited by Gavin (edited March 07, 2001).]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 2:57 am 

sorry,<BR>It's <A HREF="http://www.royal-ballet-school.org.uk" TARGET=_blank>www.royal-ballet-school.org.uk</A>

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 5:11 am 

thanks gavin.<P>at the risk of offending gavin by bypassing his own site (dance expression magazine - see link in his post above), here is a quicker way to get to the ISTD homepage:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.istd.org/" TARGET=_blank>http://www.istd.org/</A> <P>what a great looking new-look site. the homepage has an animation, which makes it a little slow, and then you have to 'click to enter' so if you want to bypass that too (although its quite fun!), here is the first really useful page:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.istd.org/main.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.istd.org/main.html</A> <P>wow! this site gets more and more impressive....<P>here is an overview of the imperial ballet syllabus, which angelica mentioned earlier:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.istd.org/dancestyles/imperialballet/intro.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.istd.org/dancestyles/imperialballet/intro.html</A> <P>(amazingly, i found this mis-spelling of cecchetti's name: 'Checchetti', at one point...just a typo, obviously, but still! Image )<P>anyway, gavin, i've enjoyed looking at this site and am impressed by a number of its features, but can't find anything about the syllabi there (except of course the general philosophical overview type-thing, as with the 'imperial ballet' link above). am i missing something?<P>thanks for introducing me to this site. Image<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2000 6:22 am 

Gavin - I would be most interested in your estimation and knowledge of how today's Cecchetti syllabus resembles the work that was taught to your teacher by Cecchetti.<P>I know I am not supposed to post here, since I am not a Cecchetti teacher - but I decided it was worth taking a chance, because Gavin presents such a unique view with a terrific connection to the maestro.

Profile E-mail