public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Parenting a dancer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 12:19 pm 

Attention dancers, parents and teacher - I need help! <P>I am a former dancer, currently working on an MA thesis in communication with the title:"Parenting a dancer: communication in families with an aristically gifted child".<P>What is passion for dance? When did you find out that dancing was "it"? What kind of problems were you faced with as an adolescent dancer? How did your parents react? Did teachers help? Where did you feel supported, were lost?<P>If you have anything to share (books, articles, personal experiences... ANYTHING!) please respond! Thank you!<P>------------------<BR>Niki<P>***GRACE'S NOTE: see Niki's post further down, OR click on the little whizzing envelope for her email, in order to be sent an email questionnaire to participate confidentially.<P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited July 15, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Parenting a dancer
PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 4:53 pm 

Wow, what a topic. I was a dancer that started at the age of 6 and was "bred to be a dancer" My parents were ultra supportive, even went on tour with me in the summers (mother doing costumes, and dad being stage manager) so that the family interest stayed together. God where to start, maybe you could ask specific questions? <P><BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 6:21 am 

niki, just to start with some simple things, might i suggest you look at this thread, after reading the washington post article (URL cited there) which it refers to?<BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000018.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000018.html</A> <P>also of course, julia buckroyd's new book is bound to have relevance. see thread:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000052.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000052.html</A> <P>and this thread includes discussion about that book and its issues also:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000011.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum3/HTML/000011.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 10:42 am 

Thanks for the wonderful replies and threads (especially the Washington Post one, which made me mad!). I will work on more specific questions, as some of you have requested. As I am still formulating the research proposal, it is great to get many comments in order to determine the specifics. <BR>I guess the author of the WP article sums up the fears that parents may have (injury, academic future, etc.)There is a need for explanation on what passion for dance means!<BR>I have been dancing since the age of five and now (almost 28) after starting a University career it is still dance that hooks me. Why? My answer is simple and intrinsically motivated: IT MAKES ME HAPPY EVERY DAY.<BR>How many people have that?<BR>I hope that by interwieving dancers, teachers and hopefully publishing the findings, a better understanding can be created. Dancers need all the help they can get, especially from the family.<BR>Thanks for everything, Niki

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 11:31 am 

Dearest Niki,<BR>You will never be able to escape from it - it is your passion - may as well give in and go for it.<BR>My mum was giving ballet class the day before I was born and I was raised with the house built over two dance studios. I started dancing at age four in an entirely suportive way, like you.<BR>I'm looking forward to your questions...<P>... I could already write reams on the ones you've asked already!<p>[This message has been edited by Michael Montgomery (edited July 05, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 12:47 pm 

Niki, this looks like it's going to be a very interesting thread. I've been mulling it over, and I agree that it would be easier to organize with specific questions. (Which may open up further questions.) I look forward to adding my input once I percolate a bit.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 6:44 pm 

i agree, niki, with the points made above.<P>i also think that even just among those who have responded already, you would get (quite amazingly, really) a VERY representative sampling of parent/ballet child scenarios!<P>me: academic parents who tried mightily to discourage dance. michael: mother a ballet teacher, growing up in the studio, so to speak. lucy: "bred to be a dancer"/TWO ballet focused parents to back her up.....maggie: don't know where she fits in re her childhood, but i know she has a lot of common-sense to add! and intuviel, when she returns - a 16 year old with academic/professional parents BUT ones who DO support her passion! there is also another older teen with much to contribute, whose focus may be broader than intuviel's, and whose family background is different again.<P>fascinating cross-section!<P>once a few more people have seen it, i think we'll move this thread down to 'The Studio', even though it IS an 'Issue' - i hope you won't mind?....<P>personally, i find board discussions the MOST rewarding when people are clearly focused, so yes: i would strongly suggest that you clarify your OWN thoughts as to what you need to know MOST, or FIRST....and pose just one question at a time. i think we are all champing at the bit to start responding with our own stories! Image<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2000 6:51 am 

Hello Everybody,<BR>I am ready to post specific questions (sorry for the looong wait but I had to group<BR> them in a "meaningful" way). <P>I hope you are all still available and eager to tell your life stories on dance (I can't wait to read them!!!)<P>"Parenting a dancer" questionnaires are now available! <P>Please e-mail me at NConrath@online.emich.edu so I can get the package directly to you.<P>There are 35 questions that you can answer and comment upon. They deal with motivational aspects of dancing, family feedback and your own perception of the kind of dancer you would like to be.<P>If you would like to pick up a specific question and discuss it in the forum that's great. I just need to keep some data confidential...<P>Have a great time thinking about your passion and THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR SHARING!<BR>Niki<BR><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited July 15, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2000 3:56 am 

thanks niki.<P>niki has shown me the questionnaire which is very well-compiled. it certainly contains some thought-provoking questions, and will need a little thought - but it IS thought that, as niki says, may well give people pleasure, and make them aware (or remind them )of some things about themselves & dance, which they had forgotten.......<P>niki, i'll do mine when i get the time...probably later this week, at least SOME of it. <P>is it a problem if people only feel 'up to' completing SOME of it? do you need COMPLETELY filled-out forms?<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2000 4:07 am 

niki: i will post the whole questionnaire in a locked thread, for reference, OK?<P>everyone else, if you want to SEE the questionnaire before you send off for your own, please see the thread "Parenting a Dancer: Questionnaire" - thanks Image<P>here's where it is:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.criticaldance.com/ubb/Forum7/HTML/000075.html" TARGET=_blank>click here!</A> <P><p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited July 26, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2000 9:57 pm 

have to confess, i forgot to do this - so pushing it up here, to act as a reminder to ME<BR> (!), and a help to niki who might like some more responses, please...... <BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2000 11:39 am 

A nice story:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/12/03/SC123684.DTL" TARGET=_blank>Class Act</A></B><BR>Sometimes the roles we perform most gracefully aren't the ones we've rehearsed.<P>N. Jean Smith, SF Chronicle<P>One spring day 10 years ago, as I drove her home from nursery school, she spied three or four toddlers in pastel leotards with stiff, short skirts of matching net. They were spinning like tops, arms straight out from their sides, <P>tiny, pink-slippered toes stepping in close circles. "I want to do that!" she announced, "Mom, look! I want to do that!"<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P><BR><B><A HREF="http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/12/03/SC123684.DTL" TARGET=_blank>More</A></B>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2000 5:32 pm 

Truly that young woman is a class act .....and her parents deserve some of the credit too.

Profile E-mail