public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:09 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Buying Pointe Shoes Online?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2000 7:20 am 

As I poke around different dance sites online I see something that greatly troubles me....<P>There seems to be a great and growing market for buying pointe shoes, and perhaps ballet slippers, online, and/or through catalogues.<BR>It is hard for me to imagine this. Barring those students who truly live far from any contact with a store that sells dance shoes, I can't understand this phenonemon.<P>What puzzles me even more is the apparent acquiesence of the ballet teachers, since the students are doing this in what seems to be greater and greater numbers. <P>I would assume that it is being done for convenience and monetary savings. But when the cost of shipping is added in is this savings really so great?<P>And what possible savings could counterbalance having tried on the shoes before purchase? <P>When I go to purchase pointe shoes at a store, I usually reject more than half of the shoes in my size and style. <P>For those of you who also teach tap<BR>or jazz - is this true of those shoes as well? Are your students buying them sight unseen (or untried)? <P>When I ask students if they would consider buying a running shoe or just an everyday-going-to-school shoe without having tried them on first - they always say "NO". Then why a pointe shoe in which the fit is so very important?<P>As a teacher what do you think of this?<P>------------------<BR>Approach life as a dancer approaches the barre, with grace and purpose.<BR>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Buying Pointe Shoes Online?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2000 9:09 am 

Don't recommend buying pointe shoes online or from catalogue, unless you know precisely what make/model/size you need. Don't try a new brand or style this way. I buy jazz shoes and regular ballets from a catalogue becasue it's cheaper and saves me a trip to the store/parking/hassle/traffic etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2000 11:09 am 

Interesting, Trina. I do know my exact size, style, etc, and still I reject over half the shoes I try on.......maybe I am too picky about shoes......but I find each pair so very different. I reject about a quarter of them on sight alone; uneven vamps, bumpy platforms, crooked lasts, etc.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2000 1:51 pm 

my daughter had a hard time finding ballet shoes to fit we had to try on several different brands. So I would not be comfortable buying from a catalogue. I do have a question about tap shoes. We had to buy a size that doesn't fit quite right because her foot is too narrow in order to get the length it is too wide. Is there not as much selection as ballet shoes.<BR>charlene

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2000 1:53 pm 

Char - I am not a tap teacher - but I wonder is it possible to special order shoes for her?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2000 5:06 pm 

was never so fussy as you, over shoes, basheva, but completely agree with you about this phenomenon. don't understand how it can work! only time i ever saw people order shoes successfully, was from freeds (pointe shoes) - it used to be common practice - because you could specify all the details INCLUDING the maker.<P>however, regarding other dance shoes - like character shoes, tap shoes, jazz shoes, no where near as much of a problem in my experience, and these could be ordered, i think, satisfactorily. i personally would never do it, though, for the reasons you mention above.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2000 7:46 pm 

Now that I think about it - the more experienced (also older LOL) I became, the fussier I got. I began to see all the inconsistencies between shoes. <P>I would put them on the floor in front of me - and could see the twisted lasts, and I knew that would "throw" my foot off center.<P>Sometimes I could see that one shoe was longer than another, even though both were marked as the same size and style. <P>Then, uneven vamps from one shoe to another. Platforms with bumps here and there - no need for that. But also boxes that were not straight across - if you stood the shoe on it's platform it would lean over either to the right or left.<P>Then I would hold them in my hands and I could feel inconsistencies in the shank - sometimes even a broken shank from having been tried on by another dancer/customer.<P>I learned to check how the satin was caught up into the sewing around the tie - since I had one pair of shoes rip out in the first five minutes of class. And the store wouldn't take it back, though it was clearly a sewing error.<P>Maybe I would have done better if I had just closed my eyes ----LOL. <p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited December 21, 2000).]

Profile E-mail