public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:30 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: school of dance in the USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:19 am 

Hello, I am French, I live Paris, and I would have need for your councils.
I have a 14 years old girl who practises the ballet dancing since the 6 years age.
She is currently in arranged schedules (càd school the morning and dance the afternoon) since 3 years in a professional school in Paris.
She makes jazz once per week in the international of jazz and practical center the piano.
But her true passion is the modern jazz and all them dances of this style (urban dance, etc)
Her great dream is to leave to the United States to learn this type of full-time dance, because she thinks that the United States is them better in this field.
She wants to thus integrate a school of dance gor the re-entry next, that is to say in New York or Boston or Philadelphia, because her father has the occasion to go there every month for its business.
I went on Internet to inform me and a school has held my attention : it is Broadway Dance Center in New York... What do you think about it ? But perhaps you have others suggestions... They will be the welcomes. Excuse my English and thank you by advance.

Post subject: Re: school of dance in the USA
PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:37 am 

I've studied at Broadway Dance Center (BDC). Yes, it seems to be a good place for what your daughter has expressed interest in. I have known people who got their start there.

HOWEVER... I don't really know how it works in Jazz dance. I am a classical ballet dancer, so BDC wasn't really able to help me move on.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:50 am 

I also have no experience with Broadway Dance Center, but here is the link to their international (visa) program: http://www.bwydance.com/isvp/about.shtml It does seem that these students tend to be in their twenties.

STEPS on Broadway has a visa program, but only for those 18 and older.

Unless your daughter is an American citizen, she will have to have a visa to study in the US (unless it's just for a summer program). And given the ever changing situation with student visas in the US, and time & money it takes to obtain one, I would encourage you try and find someone in Paris with experience in these issues. Perhaps there is someone at one of your daughter's current schools who has studied abroad or an organization that assists students in finding foreign study programs.

You might want to look into summer programs.

You might also want to consider London...I don't know what might exist there in terms of jazz programs, but I would imagine that there might be some good programs there.

A couple of sites that may help:

The US Government site on student visas

EduPass, which focuses on university level programs, but seems to have plenty of good info: www.edupass.org

Good luck!
Kate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 20, 2005 4:26 pm 

Yes, BDC has a Visa program. They operate with students somewhat like a machine. Foreign students are VERY profitable for BDC; they take a large amount of money up-front because they know foreign students need visas. There are cheaper ways, in theory, to get dance training.

Sometimes, BDC students get hired before their term of study is over. That is good, I suppose, because that means a professional job. But in a way it seems wrong, because at that point the student must continue to pay BDC but is not receiving any classes for the money.

<small>[ 20 February 2005, 05:29 PM: Message edited by: citibob ]</small>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:12 am 

Thanks for responding.
After me to be again well informed on the net, I think that for her age il would be preferable that she follows a way first of all more traditional. Thus I found "The Harid Consevatory" in Florida, who takes the children of the her age, and afterwards in best of the cases "The Jiuillard School" which seems to be the TOP in the USA.
But apparently hearings for the training courses of summer, which must allow to appreciate the pupils, are already finished. Perhaps there is another possibility for the foreign pupils...
What do you think of these schools ? Have you others suggerstions ?
Thanks.