public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: unruly classes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 9:32 am 

Is it common for students in class to misbehave I am talking about younger students. my daughters one class is really bothering her because the kids aren't paying attention. She says she doesn't want to continue with that class. Her other class differnt teacher same age students majority pay attention. I looked in on the last class and they were doing demi plie, out of 10 children one was doing it the others were goofing off. The teacher very sternly clapped her hands and told the children that was enough there would not be a free dance at the end of class. the other parents who witnessed this were very upset with the teacher can you believe it. You think they would be upset with their children. <BR>charlene

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: unruly classes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 10:04 am 

It's really hard for me to judge, not having witnessed the kids myself. Sometimes, one can get a class full of "feisty" kids. Sometimes, the teachers doesn't have the tools to control the class (behavior modification)...let me ask you this..How far into the semester is this particular class? HOw many classes have been held? I would give the teacher at least a month to set up the structures of the class, at a minimum. How old are the kids, how many in the class, and what level/style class is it? this might give me a better idea.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 10:52 am 

Hello Char - if the teacher called for the attention of the students and the parents protested then I would say that the parents bear some blame for the behavior of the children. I have had that experience in teaching ballet at a performing arts high school. (You can find that thread if you scroll down).<P>Respect for the teacher - whether it is a in regular school or a dance school - starts with the attitude of the parents. <P>Some parents and students see dance class as just a time to "goof" off and others want a learning experience. I wonder if the teacher has the support of the owner of the studio? Or does she own it herself? <P>I have taught classes as young as four years old - (not serious ballet - but music/dance appreciation - as a pre-ballet) and though we surely did have fun - this is also the place for the children to start to learn the protoculs of being in a class. Raising hands, being respectful of the teachers and others, for instance. <P>In my opinion, if the parents are not supporting the teacher's efforts to maintain a good learning atmosphere - then it will not improve.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 1:25 pm 

there are 10 girls in grade one RAD. This class started sept 5 but new teacher past month as the other was unwell.<P>the teachers are not the owner. My daughter and I seem to be the only ones concerned about this but we have not said anything to the teacher do you think it would do any good to say anything to her.<BR>charlene

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 4:45 pm 

It never hurts to talk over your feelings and thoughts with the teacher. Pose it as a question. Ask her if she thinks that the class will calm down and be willing to work more seriously in the near future. You have a right to talk and communicate - you are after all paying for this class - and your daughter wants to learn. <P>If you don't think things are getting better then perhaps you could switch classes if that is possible. I wouldn't wait too long. I still think that if the parents are not supportive of the teacher's efforts to maintain reasonable discipline the children's attitude will not improve. <P>You could also talk to the other parents and ask them what they think of the class - without really giving your own opinions and see what their attitude is. Just listen to their opinions and then you will know how they regard the class - if they are serious about their children really learning anything. <P>I think that is what I would do - talk to the teacher - and ask her - talk to the parents and ask them - without giving them any of my own opinion - and then I would make my judgement. That way if you decide for your daughter to stay - no one will be angry at you. <P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2000 3:33 pm 

Typically it takes some time for the students to "test" a new teacher. To see if that teacher "means business" is willing to stand behind "the rules" and can be pushed around easily. I try to establish my authority with my students immediately, using a number of subtle techniques. It sounds like this is what might be going on with this teacher. I would wait a couple of more weeks, then do what Basheva suggested..switch to another class.You don't want to waste your money or time. <BR>However, in the meanwhile, you need to give the teacher your support. Tell her that you want to help her in this process, and ask any thoughtful and helpful questions you deem appropriate. I would urge the other parents to do the same.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2000 5:29 pm 

while both basheva and trina have given sound advice here, charlene, i would be concerned not to waste further time.<P>after all, if the class started sep 5, they have had approximately 10 weeks of instruction - although with two teachers - which is not ideal for establishing behaviour patterns. in our term system, the term would now be over! and you have paid for it.<P>i would second all of basheva's suggestions. personally, i would also be looking at other schools, not just another teacher in the same schol, because studio attitudes tend to permeate, attitudes to behaviour stem from the parents, and in the studio the attitudes should be part of the culture of that studio. if 9 out of 10 kids are goofing off during an exercise, even at this baby grade, i'd be going elsewhere...<P>would love to know what happens, if you do try out any of basheva's thoughtful suggestions....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2000 6:27 pm 

thanks for all the suggestions guys. Going to a differnt studio is not possible where we live as it is its a 40 min drive the joys of being in the country eh!! I will try some of the other suggestions next week at class will let you know what happens. by the way we pay by the year. It is sad it is only one out of the three classes so i tend to thinks it is the students in this class.<BR>charlene

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2000 6:34 pm 

Lots of luck with this Char - do let us all know what happens....everyone, as you can see, is interested.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 8:29 am 

Hi Char,<P>Just wondering a couple of things...are most of the children in this class the same age as your daughter? Or is she somewhat younger or older than the rest? The age grouping might make a difference...<P>Is this the only ballet class that your daughter takes? If it isn't I guess that behaviour is fine in the other class...would the teacher of the other class be different or is the make-up of students different?<P>And finally, you mentioned a while back that your daughter was going to do a ballet group for competitions. Are the girls in this problem class part of the competition group too?<P>(p.s...I may have relatives out your way! Wouldn't that be a coincidence!)

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 11:54 am 

Hi mom 2<BR>the girls are 7-8-9 in the class mine is 8<BR>she takes two ballet classes the other class the majority are fine one or two goof off.<BR>the girls in competition class are from the good class. Mine is the only one who takes the two classes. I will speak with the new teacher on wednesday and see if she thinks the class can settle down.<BR>charlene

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 4:23 pm 

perhaps you could inquire as to whether there is another class your daughter could take (instead of the "unruly" one). The answer might be no, especially if it is a small studio, but this question may help you make a point...<P>I think it would be a good idea to make sure the teacher understands that your daughter really likes the class, is there to learn, and is bothered/distracted/frustrated by the behaviour of some of the others.<P>Good luck and let us know what happens!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2000 10:30 pm 

i like that first para, mom2 - as you say, just 'asking' should make the teacher or the owner think about the consequences....<P>and i really like the way someone (i think it was basheva) suggested to phrase the question, as to whether the teacher 'thinks the class will settle down' - how diplomatic! this avoids blaming anyone in particular. the more obvious questions, like 'why does your class behave so badly?' or 'can't you control this class?' or 'have you had much experience with difficult behaviour...?' or 'why are these kids so much naughtier than all the others?'!!!!! would not have anywhere near as good an effect. smart woman!<P>i am amazed, charlene, that you pay for the whole year - i have never heard of that - has anyone else heard of this sort of arrangement? just curious.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 7:24 am 

At a studio in which I was teaching - there were several fee schedules. One could pay by the month, or 6 months or by the year. If one chose to pay for a longer time (6 months or a year) then there was a commensurate price reduction. Of course the yearly rate worked out the best for the customer.<P> It was also figured out that between the 5th day of a month (like if the month had 5 Thursdays, for instance) and holidays in which the studio would be closed - actually evened out. I found this hard to believe until I actually counted it out.<P>I am not at all sure how many people took advantage of this long term rate - because I was not involved in collecting money (thank goodness!!).

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2000 5:34 pm 

regarding fees...<P>At the studio my younger daughter attends we pay a monthly fee (fee determined by type and number of classes per week). You are asked/required to give 30 days notice or forfeit a month's fees if leaving.<P>At the school older daughter attends there are various fee schedules, similar to what was mentioned above. You are required to give a 3 month notice if leaving (or forfeit of said fees).<P>The girls did attend yet another dance studio a few years back which required payment for the entire year (in two installments) in advance. That is, you paid a September cheque and post-dated another for February. If you left you were not refunded any fees at all. Interestingly, this studio was quite expensive (much more so than similar local ones).<P>