public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:23 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Weight conditioning detramental to flexibility?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 6:55 am 

I ha ve enjoyed reading posts for a week or so. Thought I could get a good answer to this question from all of you.<P>I teach an intermediate/adv jazz class. Two of my students take a weight conditioning class at their high school. They approached me with a concern that they have felt their flexibility decreasing since taking the condiioning class.<P>Although I had never thought of this in this particular context ( I know super weight training does hinder flexibility and mobility), I feel it could have an effect on their flexibility. Especially if they have noticed something on their own.<P>Any thoughts?<BR>

Post subject: Re: Weight conditioning detramental to flexibility?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 7:05 am 

Since studying exercise physiology (I am seeking certification as a personal fitness trainer), it is a myth that weight training is bad for flexibility. Of course, some people may have a natural inclination towards flexibility or strength. Some people (mesomporphs) tend to "bulk up" quickly, their muscles get pumped up quickly. Others, like me, could pump iron forever, and never get big muscles. If one wants to work on flexibility, it is important to stretch EVERY DAY, maybe even more if one is extremely tight. As far as weight training, it is important that it be done under the care of a qualified teacher (somone with a degree in exercise science or certification from either ACSM, ACE or YMCA)and not "over do" it. Balance is the key...!<p>[This message has been edited by trina (edited March 12, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 7:38 am 

Thanks for responding. What could be causing this "feeling" in these dancers. They are in dance class the same amount as always, with a regular flexibility routine.<P>Could they just be sensing the changes in their muscles since conditioning? Do they need to stretch more o longer?<P>Thanks!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 8:16 am 

It's hard to say what someone is "feeling" but fatigued muscles often feel less flexible. Rest is something that is often overlooked in dance. If you look at other areas of physical activity rest is built into training in order to for the body to recover properly between training sessions. Are they training the same muscle groups in their weight sessions or do they do upper body one day, lower during the next session? Low weight, high repeptition will not build huge muscles, as Trina said, but will increase endurance and strength for other activities including dance. (and increase your muscle to fat ratio)

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 8:48 am 

You may want to have your students check the range of motion they are using in their weight-training. Not extending fully at each end of the range of motion can give a feeling (and result) of shortening the muscles, which could easily translate as a feeling of loss of flexibility. This might especially be true if they are being coached in their weight-training by people for whom building muscle bulk and definition is a priority.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2001 12:31 pm 

Agree with Marie. They must be sure to (1) not overtrain, not do weight training every day. or (2) if they do, they should alternate upper and lower body workouts. (3) must make sure to do a good warm up and cool down with STETCHING at the end of their weight training. (4) make sure they are drinking enough water: 2-3 QUARTS are recommended per day (American Council on Exercise) (5) getting an equal balance of weight training and dance with stretching. I personally think yoga is an excellent stretching format. (6) they are under the supervision of a QUALIFIED trainer, who checks their form and weight lifting technique.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 11:54 am 

Here's an article about weight training. Interesting.

From the San Jose Mercury News.

Quote:
LITTLE LIFTERS TEST STRENGTH

By Lisa M. Krieger

Mercury News

Friend and fellow competitor Michaela Stewart, 12, says lifting weights has improved her ballet. ``I'm getting stronger and more flexible.''
more...

Profile E-mail