public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: classes around the states
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 12:41 pm 

Hi,<BR>I'm planning out my big winter vacation train trip around the country and I'm looking for suggestions as to places to take class while I'm out and about.<BR>I'm currently going to NYC, Chicago, St. Louis, Springfield, MO, and Dubuque, IA. Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm interested in modern, primarily, although ballet is probably good for me as well. I'm a pretty solid intermediate modern dancer, and can scoot by in ballet. <P>Any good experiences? Bad ones? Suggestions for web sites with listings?<P>Thanks! <BR>--Ari

Post subject: Re: classes around the states
PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 12:43 pm 

Ooh! A winter train trip around the country sounds REALLY cool. I'll see what links can be dredged up for you...<BR> Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 2:41 pm 

ari, what a great question. <P>i assume then, you are looking mostly for good modern classes? how long will you be in each place? i suppose NYC would have the most to offer...(slightly dumb comment, eh?) are you partial to a particular modern style? please tell more! our member 'j' lives near NY and should be able to advise you.... Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2000 3:33 pm 

Welcome Ari - Living in San Diego and knowing nothing about modern dance - I will defer to others much more knowledgeable than I - <P>I have travelled across the country by train several times, however, and just loved it.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 5:02 pm 

Don't even get me *started* on this trip because I'm just so thrilled I can't contain myself. =) I'm spending 3 days in each of the cities because my family wants me home for the last few days of Chanukkah, so sadly I can't indulge quite as much as I'd want, but I get a little taste of everything *plus* the restful alone time I need while in transit...the show I'm in goes up next weekend(!), we perform once a night Thursday through Sunday, and then I throw a portfolio together, show my piece for choreography, and leave.<BR> The glamorous life of a college student. Image <BR> Let's see. I don't know about any particular modern technique I "do" more than others -- the teachers I've had come from all over the place and have danced with all kinds of people and while I'm sure someone more proficient in modern dance than I am could identify different techniques and their influence, I think it's just that general "modern." I'd love to get a taste of different techniques, though -- I'm trying to figure out where to go in NYC to get a taste of different styles but I looked at the STEPS schedule on the web and it was a little overwhelming and I have a hunch that's indicative of what the whole city will be like. I figured you wise people might have some ideas. =) I'm really just looking for any pointers, especially if anyone knows of good places to take class in Chicago or St. Louis or, by gosh, Dubuque, IA.<BR> Or, for that matter, if anyone has any good tips on train travel, I'd love them, too.<P>Thanks!<BR>--Ari

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 5:49 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>...it was a little overwhelming and I have a hunch that's indicative of what the whole city will be like.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>probably! Image<P>i hope basheva can help with train travel hints!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 6:08 pm 

ari, this is an international list of modern dance companies. some might have open classes, or schools attached to them.:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.dancer.com/dance-links/modern.htm" TARGET=_blank>dance-links, modern</A> <P>here is a list of modern dance companies specifically in new york:<BR> <A HREF="http://www.looksmart.com/eus1/eus52213/eus76299/eus225496/eus225524/eus904059/eus904066/r?l&" TARGET=_blank>new york modern dance company listings</A> <P>this is new york city's dance message and discussion board, but it never seems very active:<BR> <A HREF="http://disc.server.com/Indices/23795.html" TARGET=_blank>NY discussion board</A> <P>hope you might find something useful there. meanwhile i will see if i can find 'j' and ask her to comment....<p>[This message has been edited by grace (edited November 25, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2000 7:27 pm 

Hmmmmm - travel tips for going by train - well let's see....it sort of depends on if you are going by deluxe cabin, or economy class or sitting in a chair. I have only done the first two - and after going one time by economy class decided we needed the cabin. <P> Everything upon the train is very small scale - carry with you what you need for overnighting - like in a small carry on bag - VERY SMALL. A toothbrush, toothpaste, some handiwipes are nice just to feel refreshed. Washing in a bathroom is VERY difficult unless you have the deluxe cabin.<P>Take paperback books to read so you can give them away as you finish them. The train is almost always late - and it usually isn't the trains fault - people stand on the tracks - storms, etc. Change of undies - also in your carry on bag. Don't plan on being able to get to your regular luggage - it will either be stored or in an overhead rack not easily reached. Sleep is kind of difficult even in the deluxe cabin because the train whistle sounds at crossing - but then again the sound of the wheels is rather soothing. <P>The food is good - but you might want to bring some easily carried snacks with you (not salty cause you will then get thirsty) and some bottled water. Things bought on the train are fairly expensive and sometimes they run out of things.<P> Thank goodness, smoking is no longer allowed - that used to be a real problem for me - a non-smoker. Wear very comfortable clothes - loose - and the kind you can tuck your feet up. And, bring lots of patience with you. The scenery is great - I really enjoyed that. And, you will probably meet some very nice people. When you are in the dining lounge you probably will be sharing a table with different people for every meal - and that can be very enjoyable.<P>New York is a rather overwhelming place - even for a big city girl like me. But, that's ok - just enjoy it - there's sooooooo much to see and do. Be careful, use common sense while in New York, don't put yourself in dangerous situations. They can spot a tourist a mile away. Let us know how it all works out.<P>Have a wonderful time Ari !!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 3:05 pm 

Ari--in NYC take at the Jose Limon Center. I believe they're on E. 19 St. or something like that...they may have some special workshops around Christmas time. You can call first--their number should be in Dancemagazine under the state listings. Hmmm--where else--try the Peridance Center...I think they are still in existence. They have a wide variety of classes there in ballet and modern. also...very imporant..try to to as many performances there as possible! NY really is so irreplaceable just for the access to so may shows and varieties of dance styles.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2000 11:19 pm 

ari - i've noticed your posts at various boards, which is a sensible way to access a range of info for you. the internet makes these things so possible. have you been writing down all the good sugestions? if so, it might be nice to list here, any you have been given, which seem particularly promising.....?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 4:51 pm 

now that life is calm enough to think straight (and i have all this free time now that i am rehearsal-less (for now)), here's that list:<P>in addition to everything suggested here, folks suggested:<BR>*dancespace, specifically jackelyn vallamil's ballet class at 10-12 every morning<BR>* Manhattan Motion<BR>*Steps<BR>*Broadway Dance Center<BR>in addition, the NY Dance Discussion board links to a whole other site about studios & classes in NYC.<P>Thanks so much, y'all.<BR> <BR>Now, the fun part -- the class reviews! =)<P>--ari

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 5:33 pm 

probably missed the boat on this but DANCE SPACE, a big yes for modern, BROADWAY DANCE<BR>CENTER as it is the NY dance scene in full swing, very exciting. NEW DANCE GROUP (NEWDANCEGROUP.COM) not very glitzy but very friendly and non-threatening, Frank Pietri is a protege of matt Mattox and teaches his style. LUIGI on 61st has open classes every day at 11am, i love his style. I think STEPS is scary, very diva attitude going on there, only my opinion. I'm really interesed to hear what your experience was like

PostPosted: Mon Dec 04, 2000 8:52 pm 

thanks j! and ari - class/studio reviews would be just great! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2000 7:11 am 

nyc is insane! i love it, or i find it agrees with me, but it is insane. there are all these different subcultures running around and the crazy-looking man on the subway you make sure not to sit by (because your mother always told you not to sit by crazy-looking men in big cities) could be some famous dancer and you would never, ever know.<P>so! i have a whole trip revue going and so if you want -all- the dirty details, you can email me. but otherwise...<P>class review #1!: ballet class at Broadway Dance Studio, beginner 2, taught by Schabel @ 7:30-9p (i took one on tuesday; he evidently teaches quite a bit, which makes sense)<P>(this is all more-or-less verbatim from my notes afterwards)<P>this was a good workout, taught much faster than i am used to -- a lot of step names and not a lot of demonstration. i haven't ever really had a serious, high-level ballet class; the ballet i take now is ballet, and it's a serious class, but it's not taught as ballet-for-budding-ballet-performers but as ballet-because-it-is-such-a-good-technique-for-anyone-who-wants-to-dance. here, "frappe en croix, double side, sous-sous, plie, repeat to the back, other side" is considered enough to send us on our merry barre way. this is *true*, it is, but it takes a lot of thought if you're not used to thinking of ballet like this. it was a good stretch for me, but if you're not a terminology diva this class might be a bit daunting.<BR> barre as a whole was good, fast; not a lot of demonstration, which isn't necessary if you've been taking the class for a while but if you haven't, it was a little offputting at first. i didn't feel like i had a whole lot of time to get into my body; this may well have been just because i was too busy figuring out what happened where. it's always the little things that throw you -- tendu(e?) is tendu, but where your *arm* goes is hard to figure out and i will admit quite readily i know about three names for Official Arm Positions.<BR> the centre work, however, i liked - that same prediliction towards names instead of demo, but we all got to mark everything and he would demonstrate as he spoke. the adagio was nice, lots of arabesquey moments. the turn sequence got me all tingly ("pique dehors, dedans, tombe pas de bouree, plant, pirouette-arms-in-haut, sous-sous, tendue devant, left side, let's mark!"); i'm a sucker for pique turns and this just felt right. one nice thing, which i haven't seen a lot, was the placing of the petit(e?) allegro *after* the larger jumps -- because while one is technically petite and one is technically grande, i think for almost everyone the petite allegro is more work & to do that and then start flying is harder on the body & almost, and this is not at ALL meant to be authoritative, going backwards -- all that little footwork before more than some basic sautes and changements feels like a jump in the warming-up scheme. (this unscientific conclusion was reached by talking with folks in my ballet class back home.) we got some nice big jumping in and then could come center and petite allegro ("glissade-assemble-jete-something that means jump on the standing leg again-jete-that same something-assemble-echappe-saute-pas-de-chat-pas-de-chat!" our heart out.<BR> there was no official cool-down, which i know some people insist on; we could continue to use the space to stretch out, which i did and which felt REALLY GOOD after having been on a train (and then walking but not dancing) for so long. comments were addressed almost entirely to the class (although he might have gone around during barre; i saw him circulating); the one instance of an individual comment was not exactly nicely put, but it wasn't as nasty as i've seen. the comments had mostly to do with arms and reaching; one important one was around marking and will probably affect how i take class in the future ("don't mark doing everything halfway. do the main movement just enough that you have it but do all the other things (in this case, arms) full out, put your head where it will be, train your body the right way from the start"). <BR> the studio itself was WARM (not what i was expecting at all) and had two big pillars near the back that made takeoff for some of the across-the-floor work a bit of a challenge. the atmosphere of the class was good, open; more formal than i am used to, and i didn't feel open to asking questions (in fact, no one asked questions); this was a change & at one point i *didn't* ask a question i would've liked to have answered regarding the waltz combination. while *i* didn't notice anything friendly from the teacher, he was joking with some of the other students after class, which i take to be a good sign.<P>all in all: solid class, not inspirational, a good workout. maybe a 6 or 7 out of 10? (with 10 being the perfect class where the teacher is amazing and beautiful and corrects everyone and gives hard combinations that are well within everyone's skill range and demonstrates and inspires you and makes you run out and take every class they teach, no matter what level, just to bask in their golden glow.)<P>next stop: either chicago or, if i am lucky and have time, simonson technique at danspace (but i leave this evening! new york! what an experience!)<P>a bientot,<BR>--ariel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2000 1:19 pm 

Hello Ari!! - what a wonderful post!! I could follow the class very clearly and loved it. New York is a rather impersonal place as I remember it, and so I would imagine that ballet class would be the same. <P>In the petit allegro combination that you described, the simple hop on one foot sounds like a temps leve' saute'. It's just a simple hop on one foot, landing on the same foot. <P>Sounds like you did very well. A new class in any case can be daunting and stressful, let alone in New York. LOL I took a new class once where the teacher didn't use vocabulary at all to set the combination (either in barre or center) she just used her fingers, which I could barely see from clear across the studio. That was Sonia Arova.<P>I think that it is always a good idea while "marking" to do the combination as full out as possible, in the time and space allowed. But, as you say, if nothing else - certainly the arm and head positions.<P>Have fun - keep in touch!!

Profile E-mail