public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:56 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:38 pm 

Thankyou to each and everyone one of you for your wonderful input. very much appreciated. Citibob - I loved your post in regards to warmup where you mentioned working on visual focus. Relaxation and stillness are important. A very good point I thought. I also loved the post in regards to "a movement is only worthwhile in the ballet class if it involves a stretch" So tru as just about every single movement in class involves a stretch. I must remember that one to instil into my own teachings.
Joanne, I totally agree with your post in regards to beginners - that they must ALWAYS seek supervision of a teacher for a warm-up and check that they are reproducing the exercises CORRECTLY. ABSOLUTELY VITAL.
Anyway, in conclusion to WHY WE WARM UP. I thought I would post my personal 6 concluding pointes (please feel free to ad in any you feel that I have missed):

1. Increases flow of blood from the heart to the muscles.
2. Increases internal body temperature.
3. Injury prevention/Safe Dance Practice. (Per Joanne)
4. Improved flexibility of tissues
5. Enhanced messages from brain to muscles.
6. Improves focus of mind and body (Per Citibob)

I look forward to receiving any thoughts, comments and/or observations.
have a great day in the meantime.
Warm regards.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2005 9:40 pm 

Thankyou to each and everyone one of you for your wonderful input. very much appreciated. Citibob - I loved your post in regards to warmup where you mentioned working on visual focus. Relaxation and stillness are important. A very good point I thought. I also loved the post in regards to "a movement is only worthwhile in the ballet class if it involves a stretch" So tru as just about every single movement in class involves a stretch. I must remember that one to instil into my own teachings.
Joanne, I totally agree with your post in regards to beginners - that they must ALWAYS seek supervision of a teacher for a warm-up and check that they are reproducing the exercises CORRECTLY. ABSOLUTELY VITAL.
Anyway, in conclusion to WHY WE WARM UP. I thought I would post my personal 6 concluding pointes (please feel free to ad in any you feel that I have missed):

1. Increases flow of blood from the heart to the muscles.
2. Increases internal body temperature.
3. Injury prevention/Safe Dance Practice. (Per Joanne)
4. Improved flexibility of tissues
5. Enhanced messages from brain to muscles.
6. Improves focus of mind and body (Per Citibob)

I look forward to receiving any thoughts, comments and/or observations.
have a great day in the meantime.
Warm regards.

Post subject: warmup/getting from place to place
PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 5:41 am 

Just curious - citibob, have you ever tried inline skating/roller-blading?

I really like the lateral movement. Also, I live on a 1 mile long hill, and find that for going uphill, I really get a nice stretch with resistance by using my "tendu" to push off - really focusing on lengthening my stride and lengthening my legs (kind of like speed skaters). Going downhill, I play a lot with subtle weight shifts using my inner thigh muscles, also shifting weight laterally through my ankles (like down hill skiing) to control my speed.

I'm trying to get back in shape to dance and find this to offer a very nice low impact workout that does not stress my arches and really helps to lengthen my calf muscles.

[/quote]