public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 6:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Young Dancers FAQ
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 12:24 am 

hi!<P>i've just been giving some thought to the way young dance students (let's say teens, to narrow it down a bit) tend to have the same sets of questions to ask, which come up again and again, phrased in different ways by different people, to which the answers are essentially the same.<P>this inspires my deep appreciation of the patience of, for example, victoria leigh, who does such a sterling job of patiently answering over and over, many of the same queries from young people.<P>what are the main questions these teens ask?<P>the first that springs to my mind is about how to become more flexible.<P>related to that one, is how to 'get better extensions', in other words how to hold their legs up in the air, higher or longer - this one includes penchée arabesque, of course, too.<P>another is about turnout: how much to use, or how to 'get' more!<P>another is about pointe work - when to go on pointe/why they aren't en pointe/ how to prepare for pointe/ etc...<P>what other frequently asked questions do you see on young dancers boards?

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Young Dancers FAQ
PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 7:34 am 

Some more that I can think of:<P>"I am 15 yrs. old is it too late for me to start to dance?"<P>"Am I too fat?"<P>"How can I strengthen my feet?"<P>"Should I be taking more classes?"<P>"I have trouble remembering combinations."<P>"My friends all dance better than I do - should I quit?"<P>"Something is wrong with my shoes........."<P>"How do I buy shoes - what should I look for?"<P>"How do I know if I should make a career of this?"<P>"My feet sickle - what should I do?"<P>"How should I prepare for an audition?"<P> "I am having trouble with my balance."<P>"I am having trouble with pirouettes."<P>"How do I know if I am making progress?"<P>"I think I have shin splints - what do I do?"<P>"I think I have tendonitis - what should I do?"<P>"I got a part in the show - but now I am scared."<P>"Should I work at home on my stretching?"<P>"I am going to my first class - what should I wear?"<P>"I would like to start class how do I find a teacher?"<P>"Will the other people in the class resent that I am a beginner?"<P>"I have trouble using the mirror."<P>I have been asked all these questions for 25 yrs. - but there are probably more...........<P>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 3:47 pm 

oh - ha ha, basheva........<P>i wondered if it would never end - and i guess, it DOES never end!<P>last night i was turning this question around: what questions have i NOT seen (or rarely) - it occurred to me that i have never seen, from women or men, 'how do i jump higher?'.........

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 3:53 pm 

trying to categorise your long list, basheva, to find some common themes. leaving out the couple which require medical responses, and focusing on those questions i have seen the most on the internet, at least some of these fall into:<P>- body image (incl. weight)<BR>- motivation type issues (very generally)<BR>- beginners/adult beginners queries<BR>- pirouettes<BR>- balance<BR>- shoes<P>stretching is probably the all-time winner, mentioned already above.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 3:55 pm 

basheva, another thought....i think perhaps (?) you may have been trying to make a point (!) - but could you possibly make a list of the 5 or 10 topics you see the <B>most</B> - ON the internet dance boards - not in your many years of teaching.......thanks for trying! Image Image Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 5:54 pm 

Actually, Grace - I have seen all those questions on the internet. One could categorize them - but some of them depend on the answer given to another question. And all of them are subjective to the individual's viewpoint and perspective - and subject to the age, maturity, experience of the questioner.<P>For instance - the frequently asked : "I need help for my flexibility" - can have a whole range of answers depending on - is it for splits? extension (which is not only stretch but strength) ? Turnout ? a different prospect entirely. And, so on. And then each of those questions depends on the age, length of study, perceived maturity level, and prior knowledge - and even perhaps prior problems. So, I find that categorizing questions, in my opinion, difficult if not impossible to me.<P>I think, rather, that the questioners can be categorized: <P>those looking for a second opinion<P>those looking for encouragement<P>those looking for ideas<P>those looking for an excuse - legitimate or not - doesn't matter - a way out or a way in<P>and probably lots more I missed........... <p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited November 07, 2000).]

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 6:22 pm 

is that your way of avoiding the question? Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 6:30 pm 

Grace - I think I was posting at the same moment as you were - I pulled back my post to edit it -............

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 8:21 pm 

understood, basheva: thanks! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2000 8:27 pm 

sorry basheva but i'm going to persist with my list!:<P>stretch<BR>strength<BR>body image (incl weight)<BR>turnout<BR>pointe<BR>balance<BR>pirouettes<BR>shoes<BR>-feet-<BR>beginners queries (incl adult beginners & often men)<P>maybe also (to a lesser extent, i think) motivation issues, and teacher issues (my teacher overlooks me. how do i ask this question. why does she say x? that sort of thing....)<BR>

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2000 10:37 am 

This is one I'm frequently asked and have not seen addressed:<P>My parents don't support my choice of career (dance-related) --what information can I give them to help them understand my desire to dance or work in the dance field?<P>Of course this one is next to impossible to answer as well--each parent has different views on what is acceptable for their child and what is really important to them as a whole person. The hard questions have no easy answers!