public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Classical Dance/Folk/Ethnic Dance
PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2001 11:36 am 

In another thread the discussion is about character and folk dance - it's perception and study.<P>But I thought it would be interesting to try to ask - when does a folk dance such as balleto become a classic dance ballet?<P>And there are many classic dances around the world - ballet, many of the dances of India, Bali, Japan, China, for instance. <P>The Oxford Dictionary defines classic as: "Judged over a period of time to be the highest quality and type of its kind."<P>How about belly dancing - is that a classic? Is Flamenco? or the dances of Africa? American Indian? Others?<P>Does it have to have a fairly set vocabulary and code of standards? Is that the difference? <P>What's your definition?<P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited February 08, 2001).]

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Classical Dance/Folk/Ethnic Dance
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2001 7:03 am 

I guess we would have to stick closely to "word definitions".<P>I worked with a man for five years that found it necessary to correct ANYONE that referred to my "southern accent". He always stopped the conversation by offering the correction, that it was in fact a DIALECT. Drove people crazy. Especially me. I know he was right. And even though I pollute the King's English more than most, I do see some value in preserving and keeping a consistancy among definitions. <P>You've defined "classical" for us.<P>Websters defines ethnic as 1. pertaining to or characteristic of a people. esp a speech or culture group.<P>They define folk as 1. people in general. (construed as plural) 2. people of a specified class or group. 3. people as the carriers of a culture, esp as representing a society's mores.<P>They define folk dance as 1. a dance which originated among, and has been transmitted through the common people.<P>I keep thinking of character dance that I have seen (mostly on tapes, which are at college and not at the house).<P>Now Univ of Utah says:<P>Character dance is based on traditional folk dance forms which have been stylized for the stage. These intricate stylizations<BR>require a much wider technical base than regular folk dance styles. The skills acquired in the study of ballet complement the<BR>powerful effect of staged character dance. Ballet students have the opportunity to utilize their balletic training in this area.<P>I keep thinking of "endings" and "ballet tricks and feats" that are often inserted into character dance within the context of a ballet. Epecially the guys. And per another statement on the UT page, the "syncopation" might be a little different that with traditional folk and needs to be studied in depth.<P>Perhaps only people that are trained within ballet can do those things well, with regularity. If SO that MIGHT be the defining difference in a character dancer and a folk dancer (I don't know that it is)within the context of ballet/folk.<P>Think about the different "Spanish" dances incorporated into ballets. Would a trained Spanish ( trained maybe in flamenco, which is considered Classical, or other "regional" dances, Jota, Escuela Bolera, etc. A good link for how these have been defined as classical/folk/court is <A HREF="http://www.ifccsa.org/janamin.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.ifccsa.org/janamin.html</A> <BR>dancer be able to insert the "balletic twist" that is often inserted?<P>Folks often don't like the word "ethnic" because it has come be a "dividing" word. It divides "us" and "them". Folks don't like fences. <P>But it was a perfectly GOOD word as a defining factor.<P>I'm from GA. I'm southern. But my ethnic background is certainly different than my southern sisters in TX.<P>They use Mequite to smoke their meat, and we use Hickory. <P>Maybe "classical" (within the context of dance) refers "preservation", while "folk" might be continually evolving.<P>And "social" dance is another thing altogether.<P>[This message has been edited by JaneGrey (edited February 09, 2001).]<P>[This message has been edited by JaneGrey (edited February 09, 2001).]<p>[This message has been edited by JaneGrey (edited February 09, 2001).]

'God grant you all your desires and accept my own hearty thanks for all your attention to me. Although indeed, those attentions have tried me more than death can now terrify me.'<P>Lady Jane Grey<BR>Wife of Guildford, Lord Dudley King Consort<BR>Daughter of Henry Grey Marquis of Dorset, Duke of Suffolk