CriticalDance Forum

It is currently Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Financial help for young dancer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 6:48 am 

My daughter is 12 and dances at a new school associated with Dance Theater Suitcase which is a new and the only professional dance company in upper east Tennessee. Becasue the company is new and it is strapped for funding, scholarships for dancers are out of the question.

My question is how can I find financial support for my daughter to attend summer workshops?

I am a teacher and my husband is a maintenance worker. We have no problem paying for her lessons. She takes 4 days a week. But to go away to a 2 week summer workshop is not possible for us financially. This summer she was able to attend a two week workshop sponsored by Dance Theater Suitcase because I volunteered and my husband made a transportable barre for the company. She is the best dancer in her class but how can she challenge herself if she can not dance with other skilled children her own age.

How can we start a fund to raise the $2000.00 for her each year?

Post subject: Re: Financial help for young dancer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 9:23 am 

Good question and welcome to CD.com! I used to live and work in TN, so I thought I might provide some suggested material for your consideration.

Among other things, you should contact "Tennessee Association of Dance" (TAD). They have annual scholarship auditions at their annual meeting, and perhaps have other means or suggestions for just such a need. It's a great organization and most TN dance schools and companies are members. Your daughter can join as a student member. If the studio your daughter is not yet a member, you should suggest to the owner/director the possibiity and advantages of joining. The Company and School I used to [briefly] head, Chattanooga Ballet, in the late '80s is a member, as was I personally, and I was VERY impressed with TAD, how it was organized, inclusive it is, and of the quality of the workshops and activities it sponsors. Here is their web site:

http://www.tennesseedance.org/

So that's one idea. Some others are for your daughter to audition for as many Summer school programs as she can get herself to. It's important for her to see and be seen. If she gets offers of admittance to any of these programs, and they really want her, some may be able to offer either full or partial scholarships. You may still have to come up with some living and other expenses such as dance wear, but it's worth trying.

I'm sure you're already saving too as much as you can for her Summer expenses and tuition.

And as busy as your daughter may be, there may be some low-impact ways for her to earn some of her own keep for this. Offering to help out her teacher at her ballet school, for example. Maybe organizing costumes or helping with filing or answering the phone or taking off phone messages. Perhaps she could organize a "ballerina party" at the ballet school, or do an overnight ballet slumber party.

Lastly, her own school may be doing some fundraising down the road and provide some assistance too. For example, I have a friend who runs a small school out her home in a rural setting in Washington state whose organization (the performing arm of the her school) does fundraisers to give scholarships to deserving students.

Be creative and don't hesitate to ask around for ideas and suggestions. I think you'll find that most folk are wanting to be supportive and help nuture talent. Good luck and tell your daughter to be sure to keep on dancing!

<small>[ 24 July 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: Dean Speer ]</small>

Post subject: Re: Financial help for young dancer
PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2004 11:18 am 

I'm moving this thread to the "studio" forum, where you're likely to find more answers (or at least other people in the same boat!). Follow the link above.