public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: ADULTS BALLET EXAMS AND ADULT SLYABOUS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2000 11:24 am 

Hello, I came into dance at a very late stage ie in my late 20's early 30's whilst studying my degree in Performing Arts and naturally I enjoyed it and wanted to carry on with it.<P>I contacted RAD only to be informed that once over 30 you can't take any dance grades. So I decided to do some investigating on the net and found this chat room.<P>My question is does such a slyabous exist for adults wanting to take ballet at a vey late stage. I know that ISTD run adult tap so why not adult ballet.<P>I am also trying to find somewhere in Surrey, England that teaches adult ballet near where I live which is west Byfleet or near by eg Woking, Guildford etc. I do aslo work up in London but would prefer it to be ner home as possible

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: ADULTS BALLET EXAMS AND ADULT SLYABOUS
PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2000 4:38 pm 

joanne, thanks for your question, and welcome! Image<P>as you live near Surrey, i suggest you contact the University there, where there is a world-renowned dance department (or is THAT where you already went to university?).<P>i would expect that someone there would be able to give you advice about open classes in your area - possibly even some provided by the university...<P>as regards schools which teach SYLLABUS (for exams), if you contact the ISTD or the RAD they will tell you of any member teachers in your vicinity - then it is up to you to contact them and see if they do adult classes, or accept adults in their normal classes.<P>if you want to do exams, and the RAD don't permit adults to do so, then maybe you should consider ISTD. of the two ballet syllabi they offer, the Imperial Ballet one may be more suitable for adults than the Cecchetti Ballet one...ask around as to what's available.<P>i'll be interested to hear if the ISTD allow adults to take their grade exams. <P>i know that with both RAD and ISTD,if you take the major exams AS A TEACHER CANDIDATE, you have to know the syllabus, and be able to demonstrate it competently, but you don't have to be able to DO it to the same standard as the young dancers. (of course, you also have to learn about ballet theory and teaching practice, which may or may not interest you...)<P>as you say, there are good open classes for adults in london, but i understand your preference for somewhere near home.<P>i'm sure we can come up with some more ideas for you, if you check back over the next few weeks...let us know what you find out!<P>good luck!<P>

Profile E-mail