public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sun Oct 19, 2014 10:44 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Demi Point
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 6:31 pm 

Hi there - I was just reading the post below on outdated terms and Basheva mentions demi pointe/3/4 pointe/half toe. Whatever the term, this is something I've been wondering for a while. Basheva, you say 'as high as you can go without being on pointe". Well, I think I have quite long toes, so this means I'm right up on my toes, with the ball of my foot barely on the ground. My problem is that I had a teacher for a while who insisted that it was the ball of the foot that should be in contact with the floor - only the ball of my foot doesn't flex fully unless I'm forward on my toes (particularly in demi pointe shoes.<P>So - does it matter that I'm further on my toes as long as my body is properly aligned? I really do think it's because my toes are long, but I'm afraid I'm doing this wrong.<P>Sorry - VERY basic question, but it's been at the back of my m,ind for a while.<P>Thanks, Danni

Post subject: Re: Demi Point
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 7:41 pm 

Hello Danni - this is the place to ask those questions that are on the back of your mind!!<P>It not only depends on the length of your toes it also depends on the height of your instep and the flexibility of the ball of the foot. In some people the ball of the foot doesn't bend very much and so they tend to be back further on the ball of the foot. They actually have difficult raising the foot off the ground at all - looks like their heel barely clears the ground.<P>I divide the rise of the foot into three major segments - full flat foot, half toe (as far as you can rise) and then full pointe. <P>On half toe - it is basically a balance between three places - your big toes - your little toe - and the ball of your foot. You should be placed right in that balance - almost like a triangle. Your first three toes are meant to take your weight and your little toes to balance you. People who have lost these little toes have difficulty balancing.<P>So - perhaps not only are your toes long but it sounds like the ball of your foot really bends quite a lot. Like when you flex your toes upward - they really bend a lot.<P>In half toe - the ball of your foot should be in contact with the floor. But, you know - when all is said and done - each foot is highly individual. If you are balanced, in proper alignment and are comfortable - no foot problems - then perhaps that is where it is best for you. <P>You must remember, however, that you have to be very careful neither to roll in nor roll out on your foot. That can give you REAL problems.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2000 11:55 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>My problem is that I had a teacher for a while who insisted that it was the ball of the foot that should be in contact with the floor <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>this is an interesting dilemma danni, and not one i consider 'basic' at all....i have never come across this, and feel i couldn't venture an opinion without seeing your foot!<P>i would agree with basheva's advice, but i would also be inclined to think that withOUT the ball of the foot in contact with the floor, there would surely be too much strain by far on those first toe joints - even pointe would be less strain on the feet/body than that!<P>this sounds to me like an attribute worth some real care...<P>btw, Cecchetti also defines 1/4 point - as well as 1/2, 3/4, and pointe) - which used to be used mostly by men...can't think of any use for it now, except choreographically....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 2:19 pm 

danni, i experimented with one of my classes last night, trying to replicate your description, and we drew the conclusion - possibly inacurately - that it's just possible that the problem may be in the description of the demi-pointe, rather than what you are actually doing (however, the fact that your teacher regards this as a problem indicates we are probably WRONG!).....<P>anyway, what it seems necessary to say, is that en demi-pointe, the MAIN area of the foot (apart from the toes) which is in firm contact with the floor, is the (circular) bony area just 'before' the big toe (i.e. the bone which the big toe comes out of/extends from).<P>it may not appear that much else of the ball of the foot is in contact, but you surely must need this contact, when en demi-pointe.....? what do you think of these comments?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2000 3:04 pm 

Well - standing in my office in stocking feet en demi pointe - maybe the problem IS in the terms rather than my feet. Perhaps I misunderstood what the teacher was saying........I do have a small amount of the ball of my foot in contact with the floor. It just isn't as much as I've seen on other people. It doesn't hurt at all (except for the pain in my poor calves after a while of course!!). Thank you very much for your help - I really appreciate it - it proably is just as you both said - every foot is different. With your reassurance that it isn't such a dorky question, I think I'll check with my teacher (not the one who was so insisitent about the ball of the foot) tonight. By the way, I'm pretty confident that I'm not rolling in - knowing I have a tendency to do so, I work very on this.<P>Again - thank you for your help<BR>Danni