public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: side splits
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 12:41 am 

What is the best way to practice them???<BR>Thanks :O)

Post subject: Re: side splits
PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2000 6:41 am 

Hello Purple - first of all you need to be very warmed up. I used to do it between barre work and center in ballet class. First I do all my other stretches - barre and floor. Then find a floor space that is not slippery - you don't want your feet to slip out - and slowly lower yourself in a split.<P>Use your hands as a brace on each side of you. Slowly and carefully. If you experience tightness, stop, hold for a few moments and if you feel relaxation, then continue. If not, stop. Don't push against unrelenting tightness. Don't try anything that looks spectacular - like a split against the wall - you have nothing to gain and much to lose. You only want to put the body in positions from which there is "escape" should something go wrong. <P>Stretches fall roughly into three categories:<P>1. The body against itself - the safest kind.<P>2. The body against the floor - the next safest kind.<P>3. The body against an object (like the barre or a wall or someone else pushing you) this is the least safest kind.<P>If you want further explanation, let me know.<P><P>------------------<BR>Approach life as a dancer approaches the barre, with grace and purpose.

Profile E-mail