public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pointe Shoes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 6:46 am 

Does anyone have any tips on doing well at pointe. I got started late so I'm in a pointe class with 11 year olds(and I'm 15) I know I have to learn the basics and work up to it, but she was going to move me up then realized I haven't been on pointe for a year yet. Do you think she'll let me move up if I do really well on pointe shoes and that class becomes too easy for me? Have any tips?

Post subject: Re: Pointe Shoes
PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2000 7:16 am 

Hello Stacey - and welcome to the board - it's great to see you here!!<P>It sounds like your teacher is doing the right thing by starting you at the beginning with pointe. You have to be patient with it. Going onto pointe is almost like learning to dance all over again and it takes time. <P>Practice and work carefully and thoughtfully all of the exercises that your teacher gives you. You have an advantage over the ll year olds - because you are older, you are more thoughtful. Actually I think, and many people agree with me, that ll is too young for pointe. A girl should be at least 12 years old - so the bones of the feet are ready. So you have another advantage also - your bones are more mature. <P>Being on pointe for a year is really a very short time - but I am sure that when your teacher thinks you are ready she will move you up. She wants you to learn the basics so you don't get hurt and so you don't have any bad habits. I would NOT recommend that you practice on your own. You could learn bad habits that way. <P>One thing you might consider - if your parents agree - is a private lesson or two. But there really is no substitute for slow, careful, patient work. You will find that in the long run you will gain a great deal and when she does move you up - you will be ready and able to do the work. <P>As for tips - when you releve' feel where the weight is on your feet - you shouldn't be rolling in or out. Feel where you body is - it should be up and over your feet. Keep your hand lightly on the barre - don't use the barre to pull you up - use your plie' and feet - that will give you strength. Feel like you are pulling your body up and out of the shoes - don't sink down into them - this hurts more and gives yopu a scrunched up look. <P>Lots of luck to you, Stacey. It's great to see you here. Don't hesitate to ask us any questions that you might have. There are lots of knowledgeable teachers to help.<P><p>[This message has been edited by Basheva (edited November 17, 2000).]

Profile E-mail