public forum
home forum magazine gallery links about faq courtesy
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:54 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ballet Outreach in Alabama
PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2000 4:05 pm 

a nice article about an outreach educational program in Alabama:<P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>"As Martin Luther King said, 'A child cannot be<BR> something they have not seen,'" ...<BR> "They have to see it's not just tutus at<BR> Christmastime but real sweat and blood that<BR> goes on in class." - - -<P>"This program is heaven sent," Thomas said with<BR> regard to her daughter. "If it's a door that's open, I<BR> tell her to at least peek through and see what's<BR> inside." <P>"When they first announced there would be a<BR> dance class," Adams said, "not one person<BR> signed up. We did finally have two students in the<BR> class to start, and a magical thing happened.<BR> Students would pass by and look in through the<BR> window in the door. Every day, a new student<BR> would show up. Now we're up to 48 students in<BR> three classes. We're hoping we will be able to<BR> expand to six classes before long." <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> <A HREF="http://www.al.com:80/news/mobile/Oct2000/2-a377817a.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.al.com:80/news/mobile/Oct2000/2-a377817a.html</A>

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Ballet Outreach in Alabama
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 9:02 am 

I had the wonderful experience of starting a ballet program in a rather economically depressed area just outside of San Diego, California. It was a neighborhood of hard working people with little time, knowledge or funds for dance class. I worked through a local elementary school to get a grant so we were able to offer classes for only $1.00. There were no ballet schools in the area. We used the school auditorium, which was great since the children were already on the campus and didn't need transporation by working parents. We didn't have any mirrors, and the portable barres were given to us by a local college. <P>The school advertized it through the PTA and we had a few children come. But the word spread, others walking by saw the class and wanted to join. I set up not only beginning classes for children, but also a mother and daughter class which was immensely popular. <P>We used the school's Christmas Show as our recital as well as a Spring Fesitval. Eventually other venues opened up - asking for us to come and dance. It didn't take long before we had 4 children's beginner classes a week, plus 3 intermediate, four adult classes, 3 pointe classes, and a mens/boys class. The program lasted for ten years. When I left (my own performing called me away) many of these students followed me to other places where I was teaching. Dance had become a very important part of their lives.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 4:06 pm 

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>It didn't take long before we had......<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>WOW! Image

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2000 4:10 pm 

It also brought to mind how Arthur Mitchell started Dance Theater of Harlem - in an old church basement in a terribly poor neighborhood. A neighborhood that had hardly ever heard of dance. One doesn't need all the accoutrements to have dance blossom. Just the willing heart to teach and the willing mind to learn.

Profile E-mail